Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Female Prog Artists Recommendations.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 23:42
Originally posted by Pelata Pelata wrote:

I'm gonna second the Bent Knee rec. Fantastic band!

Also:

The Anchoress
Jarboe (since someone mentioned Diamanda Galas)

The Anchoress doesn't quite press all my buttons so far, the songs are OK but everything seems so downbeat and not very inspiring to me.

Jarboe is on my (ever growing) pending list of stuff to appraise
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 01:19
Moulettes - eclectic folk prog band, rather wonderful but somewhat overlooked.

Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 02:36
Ooh thanks - another name to go on  the list.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 01:30
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Check out CATHERINE RIBEIRO + ALPES

Have listened to the first two albums so far '2Bis' and 'No. 2' and am very impressed. Catherine's vocal style is way out there (she sounds like a meld of Diamanda Galas, Grace Slick, and Nico), such a shame they were overlooked by the English speaking music world back in the day.

The rest of the Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes catalogue is high on my priority listening list.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 09:11
Hi,

I'm not sure that HIROMI belongs in a "Prog" (of any kind) conversation ... she is much more about jazz/modern classical than she is about anything that we "consider" progressive, or prog.

That said, she is a phenomenal player and her ability is incredible to watch, and so into the details and touch of the music, that it is scary ... most of us dream of having that kind of feeling in any music that we play, or create ourselves. The history of a lot of rock music is full of people that were "into" it heavy duty and it seems like they perished quickly, as their fires ran out ... and HIROMI's tastes in music seem to align themselves much better to jazz than it does to rock music of any kind.

Although she is not exactly an "original", the one person I would like to mention is RACHEL FLOWERS for her ability and desire to show so much "progressive" music and PLAY ALL THE INSTRUMENTS ... on top of it seeing her doing the PIANO versions of Keith Emerson's material is one of the greatest things I have ever witnessed ... showing what a great composer KE really was ... but he had to show his ability in a different medium, for him to get recognized ... only for us to find, in his death ... the greatness of the material he helped create for our ears ... something that we are not capable of appreciating or assimilating. 

For that alone RACHEL deserves to be mentioned as one of the top progressive players. Not to mention that she can play guitar as good as RF and FZ ... and has shown it in several pieces ... totally insane ... heck she can even make Bill Bruford sound better than he did with KC!

Edited by moshkito - April 20 2021 at 09:13
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 09:24
1. Linda Spa - saxophonist and keyboard player with Tangerine Dream
2. Chrissie Hammond - a singer on several of Rick Wakeman's albums
3. Amanda Lehmann - singer and guitarist with The Steve Hackett Band
4. Heather Findlay - former singer with Mostly Autumn
5. Candice Night - one half of Blackmore's Night
6. Floor Jansen - singer with Nightwish

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 20 2021 at 09:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 10:10
I've had a bit of a listen to some Hiromi stuff, and it doesn't really appeal to me.  I will investigate Rachel Flowers tho.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 10:21
Sarah Brightman - the best Symphonic Metal singer there's never been. Wink

Check out the awesome power of this song....

Gothica

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 10:33
I don't know that SB album - I'll try to find it amongst my various sources.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 10:53
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

I don't know that SB album - I'll try to find it amongst my various sources.
Gothica is the first track on Sarah Brightman's "Symphony" album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 11:13
Yeah I've located it now - another to go on the pending list of new stuff to listen to.

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 11:46
Now I feel bad for forgetting to mention Rachel Flowers before, she really is a prodigy.
Speaking of ELP covers though, here is one by a different female prog artist:

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 14:00
A recent discovery (thanks to the Interactive poll) was Fovea Hex, a band led by Clodagh Simonds, who used to be in Mellow Candle. The band includes a number of other ladies besides her. They have released a number of EPs and a full-length album, all available on Bandcamp: https://foveahex.bandcamp.com/

North Sea Radio Orchestra, with the wonderful voice of Sharron Fortnam, are a great favourite of mine. This song, in my opinion, is one of the best released in the past 20 years:

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 15:04
I'll suggest the Hedvig Mollestad Trio.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 15:13
Jill Saward

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 15:26
Janita Haan

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 15:31
How about Kiyo*Sen

Edited by Tapfret - April 20 2021 at 15:32
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 16:12
Not only a great woman but also one of the few great Czech prog musicians: Iva Bittova & her band Dunaj:

This one, actually an iconic Fred Frith song, has two great female instrumentalists on it: Carla Kihlsted and Zeena Parkins, who have collaborated with a good number of prog and non-prog musicians, mostly on the avantgarde side of things, including some projects led by them (if not listed here).
Ex-Art Zoyd keyboarder Patricia Dallio:

Have great Russian symphonic proggers iamthemorning already been mentioned?

Arguably not prog, but my favourite female musician together with Kate Bush:

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 21:39
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Sarah Brightman - the best Symphonic Metal singer there's never been. Wink

Check out the awesome power of this song....

Gothica

Not to mention that, as if I remember correctly, she was the original singer of Phantom of the Opera, which, as I understand it, has become some sort of anthem for symphonic metal... I even heard a clip of Sarah Brightman herself singing it with those metal arrangements.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 23:13
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

How about Kiyo*Sen

Sounds promising - thank you. I'll investigate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>