Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

90125 vs Discipline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
46 [62.16%]
24 [32.43%]
3 [4.05%]
1 [1.35%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2021 at 22:04
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Sparks for example was doing this stuff 10 years before KC or anybody really.

Except that "this stuff" was totally different.

Different in what way? Prog, pop and ethnic influences dancing in the same ballroom was hardly revolutionary. I've listened to Discipline for years. I actually like it less every time i hear it because the deeper i dig into many musical styles, i find it's all been done before. It was a great album for sure but to call it revolutionary in any way doesn't fly with me. It was a great adaptation for the times and managed to fit in without totally selling out like Genesis, THAT's for sure! Personally i just prefer 90125.

My views are somewhat in the middle of both of yours.  

Discipline is not quite as much of a breakthrough as it is made out to be in the sense that crossover/prog-pop was already being done by others.  But the Gamelan-influenced interlocking riffs were all Fripp.  The only song pre-dating Discipline on which I have heard similar riffs is I Zimbra (on which Fripp played, so there you go).  You could just segue from I Zimbra to Elephant Talk.  

As a huge Sparks fan, I would be curious to know which songs of theirs evoke the specific style heard on Discipline.  New Wave, I get, but there's much more to Discipline than just new wave and their (Discipline-KC) connections to new wave are very tenuous if anything.  

I would also not hold that against KC anyway because much bigger, much more celebrated bands borrowed from Sparks (I am thinking of ABBA and Queen in particular) and nobody gives Sparks any credit.  Maybe that was just their destiny, idk. The first time I heard Thank God It's Christmas, I was stunned.  New Wave in 1974 and nobody talks about it?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2021 at 23:16
I voted for KC. I rather like the Yes offering but feel it is completely out of it's class here. As a pop rock album with some nice musical chops thrown in for good measure, it's actually pretty cool. Disciplne on the other hand balances the experimental mindset of the band's past yet manages to inject itself into the new wave sounds of the day...without sounding like anything else. Then again..none of that matters if the music is whack...which it most certainly isn't
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2021 at 00:27
Took all of two seconds to decide to vote for Discipline. 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2021 at 01:27

I like both, but probably listen to 90125 more.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2021 at 05:24
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Check this out, Belew actually struggles to manage singing and playing Frame by Frame on time.

... and smiling! Smile
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2021 at 07:22
Like both but went with Yes here
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2021 at 15:28
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 08:24
Discipline. 40-20 now. 90125 might fair better against Beat or Three of a Perfect Pair.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 08:35
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Discipline. 40-20 now. 90125 might fair better against Beat or Three of a Perfect Pair.

Discipline is my least favourite of the Red Blue Yellow trilogy, so it wouldn’t affect my vote. If I voted Discipline over 90210 (and I did), then it goes without saying I would vote for Beat and Perfect Pair, too.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 10:58
My two most favourite prog band of whom I have all their studio albums (oh no, that's not true anymore: I gave away Heaven & Earth...). Discipline was the first KC album I heard, and I didn't like it at the time so I didn't explore more KC for a couple of years until I heard ITCOTCK on the radio and thought "wow!". But Discipline is somehow still my least preferred KC album, whereas 90125 was the first vinyl ever I bought and still has a special place in my music collection. So 90125 it is.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 02:25
King Crimson - Discipline
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123