Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 3LP Live! Yessongs vs. Welcome Back My Friends...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3LP Live! Yessongs vs. Welcome Back My Friends...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: choose one
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [63.04%]
17 [36.96%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3LP Live! Yessongs vs. Welcome Back My Friends...
    Posted: July 16 2021 at 01:20
^Triple LP - which usually translates to double CD.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2021 at 01:13
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

here side 6 of the Santana live album "Lotus", consisting only of one track, an ultra-long version of "Incident at Neshabur" from their 1970 album "Abraxas":

Agreed it's one of the few triple live albums that doesn't become a feat of endurance to listen to... much better than the live tracks on Moonflower [an album which works better in my experience if you separate out the studio tracks and then listen to the live ones - only really practicable in digital format.]

Edited by Progishness - July 16 2021 at 02:54
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 15:59
^I bought that LP from I guy I went to school with for $10. It's now has a timeshare on my turntable. Thumbs Up

Edited by JD - July 15 2021 at 16:05
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 14:31
here side 6 of the Santana live album "Lotus", consisting only of one track, an ultra-long version of "Incident at Neshabur" from their 1970 album "Abraxas":

Edited by BaldJean - July 15 2021 at 14:35

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 00:55
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

You should have thrown "Lotus" by Santana into the competition too; my vote would have gone there. Since it is missing Yes get my vote.

Probably would've considered it if I'd ever heard or heard of it. Thanks for the rec though.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 00:52
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by arturfd arturfd wrote:

The set list of ELP is fantastic but needs a real very good remaster.

there are at least a couple that I really like

2009 Deluxe Edition (Leadclass)
2016 Remaster (BMG)

I don't think it will get any better to be honest. I know a lot of people consider it has a 'muddy sound' because it's so much weaker than the crystal clarity of Pictures but I think that's just how it is and no amount of remastering will fix it sadly.

They can remaster it any way they want. It's still one of the most incredible live performances I've ever listened to. 
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2021 at 05:36
Score draw. Both could do with decent remastering which might have happened I've long since gotten confused by all this. Both killer live one stop shops for two of the most awesome bands ever.
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2021 at 16:44
Prefer the sound of WMFTTSTE. However the Yes album is still fine for all the sound problems.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2021 at 16:39
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

You should have thrown "Lotus" by Santana into the competition too; my vote would have gone there.

Indeed, Lotus is tremendous!
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 21:23
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

^The decision to ditch the piano intro of Firth was a practical decision. I know Tony hated playing it on anything other than a piano, since many of the keyboards lacked weighted keys. As a keyboard player myself, I can understand this. But yeah, still, would love to have it.

As someone who took piano lessons for years, who's home piano has almost always been a fake weighted imitation upright keyboard, the feeling of playing on a real piano legitimately changes my confidence and how well I play, and also how much I want to play. If that had anything to do with the unfortunate snipping of that gorgeous piano intro, I totally understand.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 20:35
^The decision to ditch the piano intro of Firth was a practical decision. I know Tony hated playing it on anything other than a piano, since many of the keyboards lacked weighted keys. As a keyboard player myself, I can understand this. But yeah, still, would love to have it.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 20:09
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Yessongs isn't my favourite Yes live album, but I do like it better than Welcome Back my Friends... both are great, of course. If only Genesis had released it's own classic 70's live album with the complete show (I don't know if it would have needed to be a double or a triple), it would have made a perfect match with these other two.

Well, even though Genesis never did the triple live album, I think both Genesis Live and Seconds Out are fantastic releases and easily compete with these two triples, particularly Seconds Out.

But just to know that Genesis Live is an incomplete performance, missing several of the better songs from the set-list, diminishes my apreciation of it. On the Live Box-set, which is how I got their live albums, they also have a recording of a Live at the Rainbow show, which seems to be from the same tour. Unfortunatley, that show is only complete in DVD audio, and on CD it only has the songs that were missing from the Genesis Live one (unfortunatley, because I sort of liked better the performance on The Rainbow, and the pair of CDs don't flow as the show would have). About Seconds Out, as much as I want to like that one better (since I actually like Phil Collins better as a singer, and he does improve some of the songs for me), I think it suffers from the same problem of missing songs that were actually played during the tour, and unfortunatley they didn't choose many of my favourite songs, but I don't like how Hackett was mixed a bit too low on that one... and I really wish they had chosen recordings with Bill Bruford for all the album, and going just a bit further, I wish they had gotten a flute player to tour with them... perhaps even Steve's brother might have worked fine. Oh yeah, and in both albums, I wish they had played Firth of Fifth complete with the piano intro.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 17:19
The more I listen to ELP, the less I like them. Emerson's keyboard playing just doesn't do it for me.
Yessongs is very good, though.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 11:09
Yessongs
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 09:46
Two massive triple live albums that I love that belong to two of my favourite prog bands. My favourite of all is "Playing The Fool" of Gentle Giant. Since it isn't here, I decided to choose "Yessongs" by a thin hair.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 08:07
I love both
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 07:13
ELP here

not crazy about some of the live versions on Yessongs
The studio versions are so much better ( at least for me ).
Prog On!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 05:20
WBMFTTSTNELAGELP

A mouthful to be sure, but an unparalleled version of Tarkus, an incredible piano exploration with Piano Improvisation and a grand finale with Karn Evil 9. Plus...I just got a replacement LP version copy for my collection from Discogs last Friday.

Neither has the best sound quality so my choice is based purely on performance.

Edited by JD - July 05 2021 at 05:35
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 04:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I do like the extended version of Yours Is No Disgrace and Six Wives excerpts of Yessongs but nevertheless voted for ELP. KE9 , Hoedown , Toccata and Tarkus are better for me than than the studio versions. Take A Pebble does drag though. I would have removed the whole acoustic/medley section and included the Pictures encore instead.

Really?  I love the 'Pebble' section - and the 'conclusion' is wonderful.  We moaned about them not doing the conclusion in the hotel bar after High Voltage.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 04:30
I do like the extended version of Yours Is No Disgrace and Six Wives excerpts of Yessongs but nevertheless voted for ELP. KE9 , Hoedown , Toccata and Tarkus are better for me than than the studio versions. Take A Pebble does drag though. I would have removed the whole acoustic/medley section and included the Pictures encore instead.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>