FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes~The Quest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ktulugaz72 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ktulugaz72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes~The Quest
    Posted: July 27 2021 at 01:40
Lol!!!!!!LOL

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2021 at 14:39
It's not Jonny's Quest?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2021 at 05:28
I wish I was more excited for this one (currently, I am much more interested in hearing the new Tull material!), but when I think of Yes, what comes to my mind is Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman, Chris Squire... I will try to hear this album when it comes out, then I will judge.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2021 at 03:34
So, looking a bit further, there is an implication that Downes having written a showreel with the music in 1977 could have been appropriated by Monkman. The label Bruton Music on which Monkman's album was initially released in 1978 is one for producing library music. Here is a bio on the label.

Quote Bruton Music—or, to give it its full name, the Bruton Music Library—was founded in 1977 by Robin Phillips under the aegis of ATV boss Lord Lou Grade, and initially operated out of ATV’s offices in Bruton street in London. Before moving to Bruton, Philips was already a respected name in the field for his work at KPM Music, one of Britain’s longest-running and most respected sources of library music. He’d instituted revolutionary changes there, moving the company away from using 78 rpm records to the sturdier 33 rpm LPs, and was well-known for fostering the talents of his protégés, many of whom he took with him to Bruton.

It would be interesting to see whether a young Downes was working for either KPM or Bruton.

Edited by mathman0806 - July 25 2021 at 03:44
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 18:27
I find it hilarious that his cruise ship cover band version of Yes is being accused of lifting someone's else's work. Remember when Yes was considered one of the most innovative and creative bands in progressive rock?

No need to reply, I was speaking rhetorically.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 17:13
^Not sure about an Emerson nod. Yo me the beginning sounded more like it was going to be a cover of "The Final Countdown".

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 13:59
First track released on YouTube.
Does anyone else hear a nod to Emerson in the opening synth line here?
Over all I am a little underwhelmed by this tune. It's not terrible or anything, just a little bland, as some Yes songs are. I need to hear more of the album. But from just this track a definite step up from Heaven and Earth.

And now listen to this ???

Geoff Downes on Twitter: "In regards to recent messages, the original idea for The Ice Bridge track appears on a 1977 showreel of mine at a time when I was composing jingles and library music for a West End music production company."

Edited by JD - July 24 2021 at 21:20
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 13:26
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Just to add more to this story, from Downes' Twitter account:

I think we need more details.

Trying to make a bag full of elephant dung smell like roses... 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 13:09
Well, I suppose that Downes very well knows what he has done when and that he also knows what others have done in the same period (or in other periods), so I tend to believe what he says. Maybe naively, but why would he lie? He knows that in our digital age everything gets uncovered by a click...

That said, it still doesn't sound original, which is actually explained by the fact that it dates from 1977 (!). Did I say something before about "harking back"...?

Edited by suitkees - July 24 2021 at 13:09

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 12:04
I don’t know man, smells like BS. Francis Monkmans album was released in 1978 (the same year as his next release, strangely titled “Tempus Fugit.” He is listed as the writer of every track off both of those albums. Geoff has no writing credits on IMDB for before 1979. Something ain’t adding up here.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - July 24 2021 at 12:05
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 11:05

How long before someone makes a poll about which version of the song is preferred? LOL
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 09:59
Just to add more to this story, from Downes' Twitter account:

I think we need more details.

Edited by progaardvark - July 24 2021 at 10:02
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 09:30
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Now having heard three different keyboard parts that seem to be copied from Francis Monkman's work (as others have noted here and elsewhere), and no evidence yet that credit is being given to Monkman as an adaptation of his work or that it was licensed from Bruton Music, I herewith change my opinion of this song. Geoffrey Downes has some explaining to do.

Yeah, that is hard to defend.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 08:56
Now having heard three different keyboard parts that seem to be copied from Francis Monkman's work (as others have noted here and elsewhere), and no evidence yet that credit is being given to Monkman as an adaptation of his work or that it was licensed from Bruton Music, I herewith change my opinion of this song. Geoffrey Downes has some explaining to do.

----------
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 08:45
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7lvHY9_HHk

Yes’s new song has been widely accused in fan circles of nearly note for note plagiarism of this 1978 track by Francis Monkman of Curved Air and Sky, thoughts?

Geoff Downes has some explaining to do

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 07:17
^^ Yes, so am I (except for the fact that expectations can never be wrong: they can be high or low, they can be met or not, but they can never be wrong or right...they're just expectations).

What I hear in this song is a Steve Howe dominated track, and also a very present Geoff Downes... The others just follow. It is not forgettable pop because it's not pop, but to me it is very forgettable: Steve Howe does what he is doing since more than 40 years, Geoff Downes is stuck in the 80s... To me it sounds a bit if Howe teamed up with the Buggles, but it is very far from Adventourous things in Modern Recording. I will definitely listen to the rest of the album when it comes out, but if the rest is like this I won't buy it.

My take is that Yes is not innovating any more. They were, from one album to the next, always trying out new things, experimenting, both in their songwriting as in their playing. In my opinion they maintained this "progressive" stance (in the sense of continuing to experiment and innovate) up till the Talk album (with the exception, maybe, of Big Generator). I very much like the Maginification album, but I think they were already harking back more to what Yes was instead of going forward to what Yes could become next (and this harking back actually already happened with the ABWH-album, imho).
This sounds better than anything on the H&E album, which was a splendid proof of the possibility that really great musicians can put out mediocre music, but it is not original, creative and innovative enough for me to be convinced by it. I'll wait for the rest and see (hear)...

Edited by suitkees - July 24 2021 at 07:18

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 07:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7lvHY9_HHk

Yes’s new song has been widely accused in fan circles of nearly note for note plagiarism of this 1978 track by Francis Monkman of Curved Air and Sky, thoughts?

Geoff Downes has some explaining to do

Edited by dougmcauliffe - July 24 2021 at 07:02
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 06:59
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

"It sounds nothing like Yes", well, not totally true, if it wasn't by Yes, certainly some would mention Yes as an influence. There's something in the general approach, the positivity, the way the instrumentalists go on about their business, even the vocals, that sounds quite yessy to me. And even if you don't agree, we wouldn't generally be complaining if a band shows some development, would we? I'm surely not a fan of Yes these days but leaving (wrong?) expectations aside, this is a solid prog song that even has some freshness to it. Neither have they descended into doing forgettable pop, nor do they just try to revive the old days. Fair play to them!

I think this is a fair assessment and I'm in agreement. 

Edited by progaardvark - July 24 2021 at 07:03
----------
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 06:27
If I had heard this song blind and someone asked who the artist was, I would have likely answered that I don't know but artist is trying to sound like Yes. It's not a bad song but sterile in my opinion. The keyboards seem cheesy, like for an 80s TV show.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 05:07
Yeah, the autotune is used a bit excessively here.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>