Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes~The Quest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rik wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 14:15
I like Roger Dean art on all their releases...I also recall he died a few years ago ,so, no new art.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 15:02
Roger Dean is alive. Yes too. It's like if they do nothing, then they're dead, if they do something... they're dead too!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 20:42
Originally posted by rik wilson rik wilson wrote:

I like Roger Dean art on all their releases...I also recall he died a few years ago ,so, no new art.

Roger Dean did not die. You must be thinking of Storm Thorgerson who was born the same year as Roger but died in 2013.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 20:57
I can already predict the 1 star reviews pouring in just like Heaven and Earth

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Crimsoncrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crimsoncrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2021 at 01:12
Yes are one of my favorite bands and I will always love them, but in their history they have never been known for their good relationships within the band members. In my opinion, people on their age and achievements in the music career must have surpassed their ego and the conflicts of the past. I don't know who manages their management, but isn't it time for a second Union, in which everyone contributed to the name of this brand to get involved?
And yes, Jon Anderson is the voice of Yes, but he is also the soul of this band.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2021 at 02:48
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I think with the covid lockdown they had more time to works the songs. I would be surprised that it's as bad as Heaven and Earth
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2021 at 03:05
Originally posted by rik wilson rik wilson wrote:

So he must have done The Quest album cover a few years before it was recorded then? Fortunately he is very much alive.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2021 at 09:49
I'm going to reserve my judgment until I've heard the album. No sense in getting your underwear twisted around your head before you've even heard the album.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2021 at 21:04
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

I think with the covid lockdown they had more time to works the songs. I would be surprised that it's as bad as Heaven and Earth

Yeah, I find it difficult to imagine it being as underwhelming as the last one... yet, this time Billy Sherwood is fully on board, and whenever he's been involved with Yes the results have been rather underwhelming (except for the song The More we Live, which I do love).
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2021 at 21:54
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Yeah, I find it difficult to imagine it being as underwhelming as the last one... yet, this time Billy Sherwood is fully on board, and whenever he's been involved with Yes the results have been rather underwhelming (except for the song The More we Live, which I do love).

Considering Sherwood collaborated with William Shatner doesn't exactly give him the best prog creds in the world! LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2021 at 23:38
The more I think about Billy Sherwood, the more I think this is a mistake.... 
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2021 at 03:38

The Quest will only be the fourth new, full-length Yes studio album from the last 20 years; it's been seven years since the previous one. Yes studio albums don't exactly grow on trees these days. And now that they are finally breaking the silence, all people do is complain. I for one am happy that they still making new music, a new studio record is soo much more interesting to me than endless touring and live albums with subpar renditions of the classics.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2021 at 05:18
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Chris Squire is sadly no longer with us, so making another album with him is obviously impossible. Squire wanted the band to continue, and before his death he appointed Sherwood to play the bass in his stead. I cannot think of anybody else that would have been a more obvious choice, not only because of Squire's wish, but also because he already had history with the band. Nobody else ticks those boxes.

Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2021 at 06:58
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

lol as if anderson had any chance of being there. 

well, im sure this will go in the same pile as the previous god knows how many yes cds...listen once on youtube, laugh/cry about how terrible it is, never listen to it again. 

This . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2021 at 09:31
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Chris Squire is sadly no longer with us, so making another album with him is obviously impossible. Squire wanted the band to continue, and before his death he appointed Sherwood to play the bass in his stead. I cannot think of anybody else that would have been a more obvious choice, not only because of Squire's wish, but also because he already had history with the band. Nobody else ticks those boxes.

I hear you.....but honoring someone's wish does not mean this is the best for music creation going forward. I could think of several bass players that could contribute more from a performance level than Sherwood.

The more I think about this the more it really should have been a solo Howe album or call it something else than Yes.....Making a case for Sherwood is sad, the effort should be to make a case for Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman to return. And if Howe is really, really totally against Jon and Rick coming back then Yes is over.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2021 at 10:34
^I disagree. Sherwood might not be perfect but he's a good fit for the band and he's the most logical choice as a successor to Chris. I don't think say Geddy Lee would be a better replacement for Chris (not to mention not appropriate). In this case I think of Yes as sort of like a company where you want to fill the higher positions with people who are already associated with or working within the company. 

As for the  Jon and Rick comment well I guess in your opinion Yes should have called it quits after Heaven and Earth (if not sooner). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 10 2021 at 10:38
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2021 at 14:26
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^I disagree. Sherwood might not be perfect but he's a good fit for the band and he's the most logical choice as a successor to Chris. I don't think say Geddy Lee would be a better replacement for Chris (not to mention not appropriate). In this case I think of Yes as sort of like a company where you want to fill the higher positions with people who are already associated with or working within the company. 

As for the  Jon and Rick comment well I guess in your opinion Yes should have called it quits after Heaven and Earth (if not sooner). 
Geddy I highly doubt would agree to assume Squire's role, sure he played with them at the RRHoF but that's not the same. I was not thinking Geddy Lee.......but I don't think Sherwood again, from a musical view, is that great, he's fine. Tony Levin would be able reproduce those monster bass licks. Logical only in that supposedly Chris wanted him in the band, they were friends.
We will see, maybe his playing will be better suited to the Yes sound today as I am sure Sherwood feels the pressure to perform like Squire.....See the issue is that Squire's sound was a huge, huge part of the Yes sound, it's what everyone talks about, it's the meat and bones of Yes. 
I don't care who you are, after 40+ years people want the classic Yes sound again, not Howe's sound which is much too trebly.

I'm hoping for a good record, but it won't be a Yes record.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2021 at 17:04

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Geddy I highly doubt would agree to assume Squire's role, sure he played with them at the RRHoF but that's not the same. I was not thinking Geddy Lee.......but I don't think Sherwood again, from a musical view, is that great, he's fine. Tony Levin would be able reproduce those monster bass licks. Logical only in that supposedly Chris wanted him in the band, they were friends.
We will see, maybe his playing will be better suited to the Yes sound today as I am sure Sherwood feels the pressure to perform like Squire.....See the issue is that Squire's sound was a huge, huge part of the Yes sound, it's what everyone talks about, it's the meat and bones of Yes. 
I don't care who you are, after 40+ years people want the classic Yes sound again, not Howe's sound which is much too trebly.

I'm hoping for a good record, but it won't be a Yes record.

I take it you haven't seen Yes with Sherwood in the band? His sound is similar to Squire's but he's not a copycat. Apparently many fans would be upset with Billy if he deliberately tried to sound like Squire. 

Howe has been with the band on and off since 1971. Would you rather have Trevor Rabin on guitar? 

As for the name, I don't care much about that. If people don't want to call it a Yes record that's fine with me. I think of ABWH as a Yes album but many disagree with that sometimes because of semantics. Over on the rush fans website there's a poll and so far I don't think anyone on there thinks of this new one as being "the real Yes." I personally think they have a right to call themselves Yes since this band is descended from the Squire band but I seem to be in the minority these days. Of course I would prefer if Jon was in the band(and Rick too for that matter) but we all know that's probably not going to happen (especially not with Rick).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 10 2021 at 17:07
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2021 at 20:14
About Sherwood, I'm more concerned about his contributions to writing and producing music, than his ability to play the bass.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2021 at 03:49
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

About Sherwood, I'm more concerned about his contributions to writing and producing music, than his ability to play the bass.

Look at the credits for Heaven & Earth and it should be clear that they needed another writer in the band. Of course nobody wants the new Yes material to sound like a Billy Sherwood solo album, so let's hope that they've taken a democratic approach when composing the new songs.

ARW failed to deliver a new studio album, so bringing Anderson and Wakeman back together with Howe would probably not have helped to make new music anyway.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>