Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes~The Quest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2021 at 10:10
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

If Sherwood helped write previous songs then the proof is in the pudding, it was not very good. Why would this new album be any different?

He did help write songs for the albums he was involved in, and if you don't like any of those albums, then you're probably not going to like The Quest. It all boils down to expectations, the best we can hope for I think is that the new album will be as good as the band's 90's albums. If that is not good enough, then don't bother. Personally, I like 90's Yes, and I "defend" Sherwood as the rightful heir to Squire, and the band's best bet to make new music. Yet, as I've said before, I hope that Sherwood's influence on the new songs will not be too big, and that they've taken a band approach to composing, because I want a Yes album, and not something that sounds like a Sherwood solo album.

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - July 13 2021 at 10:11
proghaven View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proghaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 10:48
I think this will be something close to Fly From Here. No idea why so many people here expect another Heaven & Earth, I’d say that ‘masterpiece’ from 2014 was just an occasional shameful episode in the band’s biography, just a hackwork. I agree with those who call Jon Anderson the spirit of Yes. I even consider him the ESSENCE of Yes. But even Jon Anderson was involved in such a shameful affair as Big Generator. The most important moment IMHO is always WHO WROTE THE MUSIC. No matter if Steve Howe is a producer, the main composer for The Quest is (according to recent gossips) Geoff Downes. If so, I’d say it’s more or less optimistic news. Do you remember how he worked on Fly From Here? It was the main author of Drama doing his best to make something as close (musically) to The Yes Album or Fragile as he could. Was he successful? In my terms, yes he was. Even despite the absence of Jon Anderson, the band musically led by Downes created a quite listenable album quite in the vein of genuine Yes. Why should we now expect a worse result? Some participants of our discussion decisively declared that they are not ready to pre-order The Quest. I did not make a decision yet (I collect vinyl and strongly prefer limited versions, so my decision to pre-order will mean a decision to spend a decent amount...), but anyway I see no reason for pessimistic prognosis.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 12:35
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

If Sherwood helped write previous songs then the proof is in the pudding, it was not very good. Why would this new album be any different?

He did help write songs for the albums he was involved in, and if you don't like any of those albums, then you're probably not going to like The Quest. It all boils down to expectations, the best we can hope for I think is that the new album will be as good as the band's 90's albums. If that is not good enough, then don't bother. Personally, I like 90's Yes, and I "defend" Sherwood as the rightful heir to Squire, and the band's best bet to make new music. Yet, as I've said before, I hope that Sherwood's influence on the new songs will not be too big, and that they've taken a band approach to composing, because I want a Yes album, and not something that sounds like a Sherwood solo album.

I guess that settles it then....discussion over! LOL
orthzar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orthzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 00:30
The first track, The Ice Bridge, just dropped on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_tNZUv1L-c
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 04:27
Originally posted by orthzar orthzar wrote:

The first track, The Ice Bridge, just dropped on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_tNZUv1L-c

First few seconds sounds like Fanfare For the Common Man
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 04:32
Listened to the new song, The Ice Bridge, I thought it was kinda meh. Not offensively terrible or anything, some ideas almost seem like they could lead somewhere cool. But ultimately, I think it’s somewhat subpar and underwhelming. I think after so much vocals dominating for the first chunk, I kept waiting for them to break out into a cool, gritty instrumental and it just never happened. These tracks need more variety in the rhythm section, Alan White holds down the same basic and steady rhythm for nearly the whole 7 minutes and though Billy Sherwoods bass sounds very Yes, it still kinda falls into the same camp.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 04:42

I don't hear Howe and Sherwood in the vocal harmonies. Wonder if that will be so on the other tracks as well...
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 08:15
New video just out

Not as bad as i feared but doesn't sound like Yes either

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 08:22
Howe here, there and everywhere Heart

But first and foremost, Geoff Downes in the foreground Approve Listen to that upfront call to arms....

I like it (like most YES, but, hey, I'm a fanboy)

Edited by earlyprog - July 23 2021 at 08:35
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 09:15
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

New video just out

Does not sound like Yes because it is a cover band now. Again, no need to pre-order anything it will be available in bunches.
It's highly forgettable, Lord of the Rings type stuff or possibly Hackett fantasy running thru the forest with wolves.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 10:00
^ generic 21st century symphonic prog at best.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 11:54

Again, no need to pre-order anything it will be available in bunches.
It's highly forgettable, Lord of the Rings type stuff or possibly Hackett fantasy running thru the forest with wolves.

You don't think there can be other reasons to pre-order something other than the fear that the thing in question will sell out and leave you without a copy? I will pre-order this album just so I get the album as soon as I can, that's it.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 16:21
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Again, no need to pre-order anything it will be available in bunches.

You don't think there can be other reasons to pre-order something other than the fear that the thing in question will sell out and leave you without a copy? I will pre-order this album just so I get the album as soon as I can, that's it.

Pretty much that's the only reason to pre-order something, that it will sell out. I highly doubt this sells out, unless they only press like 50 of them.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 17:19

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

New video just out

Does not sound like Yes because it is a cover band now. Again, no need to pre-order anything it will be available in bunches.

I got through about 6 minutes (but only because I was in another room doing something else). I would say it is boring and derivative. Musically, it sounds nothing like Yes. Thanks for sharing, I don't have to waste any money.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 22:16
I love Jon Davison's work with Glass Hammer, and it's disappointing to see this is what he's involved with. Yeah, it's a better than Heaven & Earth, but so is the cicadas' orchestra that plays every night.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 23:59
That new song sounds better than I feared, better than anything on Heaven and Earth, and better than most of what I have heard Billy Sherwood involved with (including with Yes). And Davidson sounds better than all I have heard him with Yes before (live included). So, I guess I'm at least convinced to buy the album.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 02:32
The single sounds nothing like Yes but IMO it's not bad.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 03:24
"It sounds nothing like Yes", well, not totally true, if it wasn't by Yes, certainly some would mention Yes as an influence. There's something in the general approach, the positivity, the way the instrumentalists go on about their business, even the vocals, that sounds quite yessy to me. And even if you don't agree, we wouldn't generally be complaining if a band shows some development, would we? I'm surely not a fan of Yes these days but leaving (wrong?) expectations aside, this is a solid prog song that even has some freshness to it. Neither have they descended into doing forgettable pop, nor do they just try to revive the old days. Fair play to them!
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 03:27
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

The single sounds nothing like Yes but IMO it's not bad.

Yeah It's OK, not so bad as we thought. But the problem I have with this song is that the playing sounded perfect, too perfect. The singer was loaded with auto tune.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 05:07
Yeah, the autotune is used a bit excessively here.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>