Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Songs That Shaped Your Taste

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2021 at 16:35
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I got into prog at the age of 12 or so, there wasn't that much before, but surely there were The Beatles, Tomorrow Never Knows and some stuff in the Yellow Submarine film - Only a Northern Song, It's All Too Much for example. I also loved Abba and felt attracted to some more sophisticated stuff of them such as Eagle.
Then came Manfred Mann's Earthband's Watch album and some Pink Floyd. Echoes made a huge impression on  me but it wasn't the first I had heard and liked of them.

I should probably add that at pretty much the same time prog came to me in the shape of Manfred Mann's Earthband and Pink Floyd, I also got into post punk. The Cure's Play for Today and Comsat Angels' Independence Day where super-influential songs. And also at that time I heard and was impressed by Wuthering Heights.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2021 at 16:39
^ I liked punk for the energy but struggled to take it that seriously aside from a few bands. Mirage by Siouxsie and The Banshees perhaps impacted me most in terms of taste and then No More Heroes. 
I didn't know what to make of Kate Bush in 1978 so mostly just ignored her lol!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12