Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Rush's Geddy Lee 10 Bassists Who...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Rush's Geddy Lee 10 Bassists Who...
    Posted: August 03 2021 at 22:02
blew my mind.."

Nice list by Geddy Lee, not a big surprise but I was glad to see him giving props to Jeff Berlin and James Jamerson.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2021 at 01:10
Thanks, that is a fine list, very close to one I would pick! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2021 at 06:13
i knew chris squire would be on the list
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2021 at 07:23
Good list. Surprised to see Jack Cassidy on there, a name you don't always hear. 
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2021 at 08:45
Wow no Paul Mcartney. Most of these kinds of lists have him on there.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2021 at 08:58
Maybe the most memorable line in the entire article:

"But it’s important to remember John Paul Jones wouldn’t have played like that if it wasn’t for James Jamerson."
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2021 at 09:21
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

For the love of God, why would he HAVE to be on this list Dead Confused. He's not a great bass player like the ones in the list, not even close to drinking their bath water.

Members of Rush have rarely cited any influence from the Fab Four for their playing or music writing. They were hard rockers when first starting out....Take a listen to their album Feedback, that is what influenced them in the early days.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2021 at 09:23
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

"But it’s important to remember John Paul Jones wouldn’t have played like that if it wasn’t for James Jamerson."

Spot on!!! I was really glad he gave props to Jamerson. Geddy has a deep understanding of where the bass sound came from.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2021 at 10:08
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

For the love of God, why would he HAVE to be on this list Dead Confused. He's not a great bass player like the ones in the list, not even close to drinking their bath water.

Members of Rush have rarely cited any influence from the Fab Four for their playing or music writing. They were hard rockers when first starting out....Take a listen to their album Feedback, that is what influenced them in the early days.

Nothing against Cboi, but people shouldn't automatically expect Sir Paul to make every bassists' choice poll. Like you said, Rush were hard rockers and even pre-Net I knew that Geddy's bass influences were obviously Ox, JPJ and Jack Bruce.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2021 at 10:10
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Spot on!!! I was really glad he gave props to Jamerson. Geddy has a deep understanding of where the bass sound came from.

Absolutely. I love the Jaco story. Jaco was a genuine prodigy. He quickly mastered the instrument and was even giving instruction at the university level before he was a recording artist.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2021 at 10:39
Good list, certainly a great group of bass players to be influenced by.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2021 at 11:09
Great list.  Just purchased a Bill Bruford DVD, starring Berlin.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - August 17 2021 at 04:06
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2021 at 15:57
Interesting list, indeed.....

I have always wondered if Geddy Lee was familiar with Triumvirat bassist/lead vocalist/6 and 12 string guitarist the late Helmut Koellen, and if so, what he thought of him? Not that I expected Helmut to be on the list, as he is so overlooked, in general.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2021 at 08:56
James Jamerson was recently lauded by McCartney in the program McCartney 3,2,1.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2021 at 23:57
McCartney is a great songwriter that's also a competent bass player, but he's not a on par with anyone on these lists IMHO.

Great list, Geddy!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2021 at 05:05
Les Claypole is an interesting selection , assuming that such a thing is possible on a list of bass players!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2021 at 08:26
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Interesting list, indeed.....

I have always wondered if Geddy Lee was familiar with Triumvirat bassist/lead vocalist/6 and 12 string guitarist the late Helmut Koellen, and if so, what he thought of him? Not that I expected Helmut to be on the list, as he is so overlooked, in general.

Helmut Köllen <3. BTW, speaking of overlooked German prog bass players, Harald Bareth of Anyone's Daughter was incredible.

Edited by Hrychu - August 06 2021 at 08:27
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2021 at 08:49
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Les Claypole is an interesting selection , assuming that such a thing is possible on a list of bass players!

Shocked
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2021 at 09:28
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Les is a bass player, lead vocals and songwriter for Primus, Primus has that funky metal style of playing. It makes sense that Geddy enjoys his playing style and that he does lead vocals too. Primus/Les brings in that modern band appreciation that Geddy has for them.
Just liking a band/musician from the 60s-70s is kinda boring....I'm sure Geddy's kids think he is way cooler for liking Primus LOL
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2021 at 05:06
I've been a Percy Jones fan, myself
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>