Poll Question: Which do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [45.57%]
43 [54.43%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 03:51
Yes: Drama.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 09:00
An interesting poll considering the current outcome. I didn't think there was enough love in the room for the overbearing Yes entry, up against an obvious crowd favorite. An odd poll though, so I won't vote.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 12:00
I gave my vote to PG, making the score even.
That reflects my thoughts: I love them both, but for very different reasons. PG3 wins as a psychologically deep conceptual album whereas musically Drama gives me more. (Ie. I probably would have voted Yes if they had been one vote behind. 😀)
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 15:45
This one isn't close even though I like them both.  PG III for the win!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 16:12
Yes, to even the score.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 10:31
Drama was stronger than I expected it to be, but I wouldn't put in the same league as Melt.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 13:45
I went with Drama, I just think it is more fun to listen to than the PG, even though that album is indeed a great one.  
DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 14:19
Both are great albums but I think Drama has aged better. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 14:45
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Melt is one of the finest albums ever made, a work which even after 40 years is still played regularly and holds a very special place in my collection. It was just about the perfect fusion of post punk rock, progressive rock, electronic rock, experimentation, and the most nailed on political statements ever put to music. About as perfect an album as it is possible to be released. Full of emotion and absolutely biting in its execution.

Drama, by contrast, is absolutely none of the above. About as dull as it gets. Sorry…….

Listen to laz.....his words ooze the truth to the nth degree.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGM: Orb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 17:51
Clearly PG 3, even if Biko is maybe a slightly bloated conclusion; PG's album endings were much weaker than the albums as a whole until So.

I like Drama but I really think No Self Control is better than anything on that album by a very large margin.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 17:57
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Melt is one of the finest albums ever made, a work which even after 40 years is still played regularly and holds a very special place in my collection. It was just about the perfect fusion of post punk rock, progressive rock, electronic rock, experimentation, and the most nailed on political statements ever put to music. About as perfect an album as it is possible to be released. Full of emotion and absolutely biting in its execution.

Drama, by contrast, is absolutely none of the above. About as dull as it gets. Sorry…….

Listen to laz.....his words ooze the truth to the nth degree.

Sorry, Catch...but nuh-uh! Drama has some of Yes' best material. "About as dull as it gets" is one helluva putdown. Sounds personal to me. LOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 03:30
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

I do think this is another one of those polls that sets up the divide between "prog" and "progressive" quite nicely. 

Melt is a pretty obviously progressive album, even if only for introducing the world to the drum sound of the 80s (which Phil subsequently took directly over to Face Value and made it world famous). That said, it doesn't retain much of the "prog" style that much of the music on this site is based in. No 20 minute suites, or even 10 minute epics. The closest you get is a multi-section story song "Family Snapshot" and a seven minute slow build "Biko." This album is all about new sounds, new production techniques, unusual song ideas, atmospherics and moods. The epitome of "art rock" if you ask me.

Drama on the other hand is pretty obviously a "prog" album. While it does contain elements that are pushing music forward (thank you The Buggles), it centers mainly on a harder edged prog style for most of the album that isn't terribly far off from the music Yes had already been making throughout the 70s, if a little meaner. You do get a 10 minute epic in "Machine Messiah," and another lengthy proggy gem in "Into The Lens." 

really good summation

PG is a tough listen and takes no prisoners. Games Without Frontiers was a surprise top 5 hit in the UK garnering a lot of airplay so it may not be quite as far away from pop as people like to believe. Shock the Monkey and No Self Control were also played quite a bit on radio at the time while Biko is the best live singalong ever!. Its a very clever album but not as inaccessible as many would like to believe.

Shock the Monkey is on PG4.

oops, thanks!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 10:36
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Clearly PG 3, even if Biko is maybe a slightly bloated conclusion; PG's album endings were much weaker than the albums as a whole until So.

I like Drama but I really think No Self Control is better than anything on that album by a very large margin.
Reassuring to see like-minded views on Biko. As noted before, it was always an excuse as an encore in the '80s to flee the venue early to beat the traffic.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2021 at 18:23
I am surprised that Drama got so many votes.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 13:44
I know Peter Gabriel was revolutionary for its time but it has not aged well. Drama sits better with me today than "melt".

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 14:40
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I am surprised that Drama got so many votes.

Not I! LOL
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2021 at 11:50
After 2 weeks and 3 pages of responses, the two competitors are almost in a dead heat! I would like to say thank you to everybody who participated - I had no idea the results would turn out like this! I love both albums, but my vote went to Drama for its overall consistency. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2021 at 12:12
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Yes, it has to be Drama, bearing in mind I can't name any of the songs on Peter Gabriel 3. Embarrassed

Not even Biko?

It's very close call for me but I'd probably go for PG.

I would have said, "Not even Games Without Frontiers?"  That is one of my very favourite songs that has been an "in regular rotation" staple of classic rock radio here.  I'm glad Peter Gabriel moved on from Genesis into his "solo" career.

I hugely prefer Melt.  I don't like the classic opening track on Drama, "Machine Messiah", and it doesn't improve for me as the album moves on.  It's due to albums such as this that I don't think of myself as a Prog fan.   I tried to listen through it again, but it is dreadful to these ears.

Paul, you're missing out on one of the great albums of the 1980s. From the song "The Intruder" with the sinister Peter Lorre whistle (from the movie "M", where Lorre is a whistling serial killer) all the way to the anti-apartheid anthem "Biko'' it is a splendid progressive concept album featuring folks like Robert Fripp, Kate Bush, Phil Collins and Tony Levin. 
Saw M the other night on TCM and am curious what classical piece the serial killer was whistling.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2021 at 12:26
^ It's from the Hall of the Mountain King part from Edvard Grieg's Peer Gynt suite.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2022 at 11:36
Peter Gabriel: III
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>