Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums you dislike with one song you do

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 05:50
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

U2 - "All That You Can't Leave Behind".  It's not just the album but I can't stand U2, period.  Except for "Beautiful Day", which to me is so good I can't believe U2 wrote and performed it.

to me it's Zooropa, the only listenable song is Stay (Faraway So Close). 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 06:30
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

The only song I can stand is "Not Now John".
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 07:22
The Who - Eminence Front stands out in It's Hard
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 07:31
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

The Who - Eminence Front stands out in It's Hard

The first cassette I ever bought for myself was It's Hard. I think that would be the popular opinion, I know my friend thought that, but for me its "I've Known No War". I truly enjoy that album.

I can think of many albums where one track stands out for me, and some where I really like one track and the rest is so-so, but I can't think of one where I dislike every song but one. I'm sure there are some.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 08:29
Genesis - We Can't Dance. It's no album of mine and the only song that has a hold on my heart is the 10=minute-long closing track: Fading Lights
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 10:26
The Who - "Who Are You" album is rather boring except for the title track.
Starcastle - "Reel to Real" The only great track is "When the Sun Shines at Midnight".  The rest of that album is a poor attempt to become radio-friendly.
Zebra - "3.V"  This one actually had two pretty decent tracks while the rest of it was awful..."Time" and "About to Make the Time".

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 10:44
The one that easily comes to mind is Uriah Heep's High and Mighty with only the John Wetton-warbled One Way or Another standing out. Read an interview where even Ken Hensley denounced the album as a misfire.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 03:03
Renaissance - Bonjour Swansong. The best song by far on the disappointing Camera Camera album and if I'm wrong then there are Faeries living at the bottom of the garden. Smile

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 03:12
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

The one that easily comes to mind is Uriah Heep's High and Mighty with only the John Wetton-warbled One Way or Another standing out. Read an interview where even Ken Hensley denounced the album as a misfire.

not a bad album IMO.

Did he denounce Conquest? That would have made sense. LOL

Edited by Cristi - November 05 2023 at 07:53
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 08:13
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

not a band album IMO.

A band album as opposed to a solo album? Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 08:20
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

not a band album IMO.

A band album as opposed to a solo album? Wink

no, Conquest, the album Uriah Heep released in 1980, the one with John Sloman on vocals. It is IMO one of UH weakest efforts and the last UH album with Hensley. 

I was trying to make a joke anyway...

Edited by Cristi - October 09 2021 at 09:56
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 09:53

^this
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 09:56
Originally posted by ProfPanglos ProfPanglos wrote:

Jethro Tull's later albums all fit this description for me, or close to it, anyway.

Stormwatch was pretty much the last album I enjoyed in its entirety.  After that one, I just felt like Ian Anderson had lost his mojo for songwriting (and also quickly began losing his vocal ability).

"A" had Black Sunday, but I can live without the rest of that album.

"Broadsword" was a little better, but not by much - maybe 3 or 4 tracks I liked.

"Under Wraps" has about 3 tracks I enjoy as well, the rest was dross.

"Crest Of A Knave" - same.  Again, maybe 2 or 3 tracks that I could get into.

"Rock Island" was a dud, with "The Whalers Dues" being the only track that had any worth to me.

"Catfish Rising" was a bit of an exception for me - several tracks on that one were pretty good in my opinion, notably "Roll Yer Own," "Rocks On The Road," "Thinking Round Corners," "Like A Tall Thin Girl," and "Gold-Tipped Boots..." were all tracks I thought were pretty good, solid Tull material.

"Roots To Branches" was dismal and boring, with "Beside Myself" being the only song I found even marginally interesting.

"Dot Com" - another dud.  Barre's main riff in "Hunt By Numbers" is high-level, but even then it's not enough to save the song, and the rest of the album is a joke.

(It pains me to express these views, as I am a HUGE JT fan.  I've seen them 11 times in concert over the decades.  As far as I'm concerned, their output from "Benefit" through "Songs From The Wood" is absolutely stellar, and rivals the best any of their prog-band peers were putting out.)

I have to agree with you....I'm a fan of Tull and most of the lp's after Stormwatch are mediocre with at most 1 or 2 good tracks and the rest mediocre songs. Broadsword and Crest did fair a bit better.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2023 at 06:56
Genesis - Calling All Stations: "The Dividing Line" and "One Man's Fool"
Marillion - Anorankophobia: "This Is the 21st Century"
Marillion - FEAR: "The Leavers"
Marillion - Marillion.com: "Go!" and "Tumble Down the Years"
Pendragon - Kowtow: "Kowtow"
Rush - Presto: "The Pass"
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2023 at 07:15
Jethro Tull - Under Wraps #2 from the Under Wraps album.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2023 at 07:58
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

- Zamla Mammaz Manna - Schlagerns Mystik: "Ödet"
Indeed. So great and the rest so awful.

Here's the ones I can think of:

Alphataurus - La Mente Vola (Alphataurus)
Mia - Cornonstipicum (Cornonstipicum)
Magma - Eliphas Levi (Merci)
New Trolls Atomic System - La Nuova Predica Di Padre O'Brien (N.T. Atomic System)
Mother Superior - No Time Toulouse Lautrec (Mother Superior)
ELP - Take a Pebble (ELP)
Mandalaband - The Eye of the Vendor (The Eye of the Vendor)
Eider Stellaire - Fferyllit (Eider Stellaire II)
Captain Beefheart - This Is The Day (Unconditionally Guaranteed)
Captain Beefheart - Observatory Crest (Bluejeans & Moonbeams )
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 10:33
Not gonna lie I did not like the recent Riverside album of ID.Entity. Felt too safe for the band, and it kinda makes me wish they would just try to stray more away from metal to other territories. HOWEVER, I'm Done With You is probably the band's best track since anything off of Time Machine, and I think can rival Lost and Hyperactive as my favorite Riverside songs.
D~B
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 10:51
King Crimson's Lizard album, where the only song I like is Prince Rupert Awakes, mainly because it features Jon Christian Anderson. Smile

TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 11:05
Yes with TFTO, I only like the first track, because it features Rick Wakeman who seems lost the other 3 tracks.

Edited by TenYearsAfter - March 15 2024 at 11:06
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2024 at 11:31
My major example for this kind of thing is Amon Düül II's Only Human, which is underwhelming overall but has Kismet, which is one of the big tracks of my life really.

There may be more, let me think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>