Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Very Important Long Players (VILP) 1969

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Your favorite important 1969-album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [7.79%]
1 [1.30%]
4 [5.19%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [3.90%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.30%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.30%]
1 [1.30%]
1 [1.30%]
1 [1.30%]
3 [3.90%]
1 [1.30%]
7 [9.09%]
20 [25.97%]
2 [2.60%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.30%]
15 [19.48%]
1 [1.30%]
2 [2.60%]
1 [1.30%]
5 [6.49%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very Important Long Players (VILP) 1969
    Posted: October 06 2021 at 14:18
These were the 25 most historically important "progressive rock & related" albums of 1969 titles I could come up with - or think of... that I like. There's tons more stuff (many debuts) I love from this year, such as: The Advancement, Xhol Caravan, Audience, Renaissance, Music Emporium, Yes, VdGG + etc... but to me the ones I selected felt like they contributed to expand popular music and rock in general. To some extent. But I mainly just want to know what you like out of what you've heard, and that you'll check out the stuff you don't know (but if I'm being totally honest, I'm mainly procrastinating).

-There was no extra space left for "other", so you will have to write what other album you would vote for in the comment section:). I'm certain I forgot of left out something essential.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - October 06 2021 at 22:55
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 14:46
It's always an uphill push when King Crimson's debut is on the list, but for this group, although I know less than half of them, I'll go with Santana's scene crasher.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 14:52
Volume 2 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 14:54
Led Zeppelin II.....the guitar intro, then John Paul Jones thick bass line right underneath Page, then Bonham comes in with the powerful drum intro.

Whole Lotta Love, 5:34 minutes of greatness. Still to this day gives my speakers a workout.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 14:57
Who can beat the great Soft Machine, Can, Amon Duul II, King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Beatles, Mothers of Invention, Miles, and Captain Beefheart? East of Eden can... seriously! Such a charming album!

Edited by Lewian - October 06 2021 at 15:08
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 15:06
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

But I mainly just want to know what you like out of what you've heard, and that you'll check out the stuff you don't know.
Ha ha. From experience in my own polls, I don't think most forums members will check out stuff they don't know. 

I like Soft Machine, Ayers, Zeppelin, Tull, Zappa, and The Beatles. Vote for Tull.

In a Silent Way is awful for me. Dave Holland playing basically one note on bass through both songs, ick. Yeah, one of the first jazz recordings featuring electronic piano. Historically important? Meh.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 15:08
Colosseum - Valentyne Suite
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 15:18
Had to go with Abbey Road.  Some great selections on that list, but it was an easy choice for me.
DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 15:20
I'm very familiar with all of these albums other than the Manfred Mann and The Moody Blues.  I'm a bigger fan of the first half of the list than the second half. Really tough choice, especially between the first twelve. I will vote for the one I most want to put on right at this moment, which is Terry Riley's A Rainbow in Curved Air.

Edited by Logan - October 06 2021 at 15:21
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 15:22
Uncle Meat is one of the most breathtaking things ever recorded and no other album on the list rivals it in my eyes. Nonetheless, Volume 2, A Rainbow In Curved Air and of course ol' Crimmy King's Court are still great milestones in their own right. Pink Floyd's Ummagumma and Tony Williams's Emergency wouldn't be out of place on this list either.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 16:31
Stand Up is my favorite of these.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 16:54
Hard to choose; there are some excellent albums here. I will go with "Sea Shanties"; it is definitely the heaviest album of this time and in my opinion one of the heaviest albums ever.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 18:51
One of the more difficult polls I've seen in a while. I can narrow it down to 8 but it's so hard because there's not one standing out above the others. I be back!
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 19:42
I bet Court will garner the most votes.

Me, I'll vote for Santana's debut. There was nothing else like it at the time.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 22:04
Stand Up all the way. My first prog album I ever owned, so it has a special place in my heart.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 22:49
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm very familiar with all of these albums other than the Manfred Mann and The Moody Blues.  I'm a bigger fan of the first half of the list than the second half. Really tough choice, especially between the first twelve. I will vote for the one I most want to put on right at this moment, which is Terry Riley's A Rainbow in Curved Air.
Both Manfred Mann Chapter Three albums are really interesting, loose, fuzzy psych/jazzrock that has very little - or practically nothing in common with both former or latter Manfred Mann-incarnations. The occasional vocals won't impress anyone, but I find weakish whispers easier to digest and accept than nasal germans and rockopera-italians. Here's an instrumental from their (jazzier, and perhaps slightly more to my taste) 1970-follow up, Volume Two:

-On the Threshold of a Dream is the closest Moody Blues ever came to making kosmische:D - Still mostly cozy, warm and very melodic, but with some genuine soundexcursions into space. I love it - including the spoken word parts that others might find cringeworthy.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 23:16
There are three kinds of albums on this list for me:

those I don't know (about half or a little more)
those I know and like/love a lot (almost all the rest)
Abbey Road

That is to say, Abbey Road means more to me than almost all of the rest of these records combined, sans LZII and maybe ITCOTCK, which I have a lot to thank for. This is a no brainer poll for me with its inclusion, as there's simply nothing else here that even comes close. 
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 23:25
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

In a Silent Way is awful for me. Dave Holland playing basically one note on bass through both songs, ick. Yeah, one of the first jazz recordings featuring electronic piano. Historically important? Meh
Well, at least you found yourself the perfect username:) You don't have to like it, but whether it's historically important or not isn't really up for debate. Miles beat himself several times featuring el-piano on his own albums*, so it's not only about introducing a "new" instrument.

*on Miles in the Sky (1968) and Filles de Kilimanjaro. (february, 1969). But I think the first jazzrecord released featuring el-piano is Sun Ra and his Arkestra - Super-Sonic Jazz, from 1956 or 1957).
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 00:35
From this list I'd choose either Basket of Light or Abbey Road - voted for the former. My overall favourite from 1969 is Ummagumma.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 00:55
  1. Trout Mask Replica
  2. In A Silent Way
  3. In The Court of The Crimson King

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>