Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Possibly Underrated Bassists?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2023 at 07:29
Hi,

How quick we forget some folks ... I was thinking Jack Casady deserves a mention, but I'm not sure anyone here listens to JA much, or probably thinks it's just a pop band. 

My thoughts are that a lot of European musicians are less tuned (or at least WERE) to the "song/hit" mentality of things in America, and it may have helped the development of a player a lot more. The "song/hit" mentality tends to hide and not allow time for a bass player to let loose and show some intelligent and amazing work, which European music, with its longer content, was able to do. 

I think that American record companies really hurt music after the 60's by not wanting to do so many long cuts ... and might not have helped that many of these record companies owned a lot of the radio stations ... meaning "their product" was played, important or not. FM Radio, however, started out free form and it wasn't until the late 70's when the great Corporate Rape took place and these corporations bought all the FM stations, and still own them to this day ... and all you hear? Their product as "hits and classics" ... but they never owned up to someone like Chris Squire ... one guy at a station even thought that CS was a jerk, and played like one ... and this was when CTTE came out!

It was much like the Internet these days ... there is always someone not respecting the music!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2023 at 09:50
No one has mentioned-and i am not surprised-the first bassist for Italian fusion (and later total avant guarde) group Dedalus named Furio di Castri. His playing on the brilliant debut self titled album by Dedalus is just that-brilliant, but no one ever talks of him.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2023 at 11:17
Fretless wonder Tony Franklin from The Firm and Roy Harper. A true genius.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2023 at 12:00
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Fretless wonder Tony Franklin from The Firm and Roy Harper. A true genius.

He's awesome. He needs to issue his "Bass Noodles" as a legit CD.

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2023 at 17:10
As a VdGG fan, I have to mention Nic Potter.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2023 at 17:29
Last night while listening to Genesis live for the first time in a long time it struck me how good Mike Rutherford was. He doesn't always stand out like some of the other big names but he does on that one. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2023 at 18:27
Ray Shulman is usually never mentioned, but he is fierce.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234