1 [2.17%]
1 [2.17%]
3 [6.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 13:41
Decided to skip the obvious

Mike & Sally Oldfield
Malcolm & Angus Young (AC/DC)
Rudolf & Michael Schenker (Scorpions)
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 13:43
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I am very tempted to do the Shaggs, a trio of sisters who I nominated before and have mentioned two songs by.

Board of Canada is a duo of brothers (use different last names)

Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy

I had incorrectly assumed Boards Of Canada were on PA, great band, lovely stuff.
Ian

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 13:47
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

@Mike: I can't see the Rankins video. Searching on youtube doesn't find me another one, just this. Not sure whether that's a valid substitution.
Video removed for space

I was afraid of that.  The one you posted sounds pretty similar to the arrangement of the one I posted with a few differences, plus the fact that it's just one of the family performing that "made-for-TV" version where the original post was the family.  Not sure if that disqualifies that entry or not, but the differences in the music are very minor.  What does everyone think?  Does it still qualify?

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 13:49
My second suggestion is a couple from a city where I worked for some time and there they were more known to be better known in the USA than in France. Since a couple of years they are now known here too: Lionel et Marie Limiñana, known since 2009 under the band name The Limiñanas...

The Limiñanas - Shadow People:

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 14:32
There's another French couple that I want to suggest that is formed by Jehnny Beth and Johnny Hostile, but if they ever married, they will have done that under the names Camille Berthomier and Nicolas Congé. I don't think they ever married though: Wikipedia says that they have "been in a relationship" since 2006, so they may have never married but I do suspect they did some "poetic extrapolations" under the sheets... so to speak. I hope this is enough to fit the bill. They first made a name for themselves under the band name John & Jehn, before they teamed up with Gemma Thompson to form Savages. Now they continue to work together (writing, composing, producing) but have released an album last year under the solo name of Jehnny Beth. This will be my nomination, because I really love this track and the whole album it is taken from: Jehnny Beth - To Love and To Live.

Jehnny Beth - Human:

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 14:36
These rules restrict the field a lot, for now I have found two very well-known artists, do not be influenced by the names and only listen to the songs:

Toto: Girl Goodbye (Jeff and Steve Porcaro)

Bruce Springsteen with The Session Band: Further on Up the Road (Live in Dubin)

(Springsteen and Patti Scialfa)

PS: Number 3.

Gang: La Pianura dei Sette Fratelli

I propose a song by Gang, one of my favorite Italian groups, which has already competed in a previous poll with a rock song. Now I propose this Irish folk piece that I had already included (but not nominated) in the Protest song poll. Gang were founded by the brothers Marino and Sandro Severini

Edited by jamesbaldwin - November 16 2021 at 14:30
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 14:38
^ I also thought about Toto, but I was sure someone will choose and post them before I would. LOL

I already know a band lead by two brothers, will look for more tomorrow. 

Edited by Cristi - November 15 2021 at 14:39
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 14:46
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ I also thought about Toto, but I was sure someone will choose and post them before I would. LOL

Yes, thanks, I've correct the video.

Everyone konws Toto, I hope someone doesnt know this song (one of their proggest piece)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 14:56
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Yes, thanks, I've correct the video.

Everyone konws Toto, I hope someone doesnt know this song (one of their proggest piece)

their debut album is great, nice choice! Thumbs Up
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 15:53
@mathman0806

Is allowed a group where two members are simply lovers?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 16:14
Ok, here we go...

The Cowsills - Hair

Gino Vannelli - the War Suite

Alvin and the Chipmunks - Uptown Funk

Edited by JD - November 16 2021 at 11:55
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 16:23
First one....had to post this...though the live version is better...but what a great band, could easily post 3 by them.

Edited by dr wu23 - November 15 2021 at 16:24
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 16:47
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

@Mike: I can't see the Rankins video. Searching on youtube doesn't find me another one, just this. Not sure whether that's a valid substitution.
Video removed for space

I was afraid of that.  The one you posted sounds pretty similar to the arrangement of the one I posted with a few differences, plus the fact that it's just one of the family performing that "made-for-TV" version where the original post was the family.  Not sure if that disqualifies that entry or not, but the differences in the music are very minor.  What does everyone think?  Does it still qualify?

If I'm the only one who can't watch the original video (or even if there are two or three more), for sure this shouldn't stop you from nominating this one. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 16:57
...and then there's this.
Drum Duet by Ginger and Kofi Baker

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 17:42
Wonderful idea, George! I am going to go completely folky here.  One, I've brought before (not the song, but the trio), a long time ago.  They are first up.

Hank Dogs, consisting of husband, wife, and stepdaughter of wife, with "Let Go."  

Julie and Buddy Miller, husband and wife (I know, me?  Country?  But I love this song and did get to see them at The Bluebird when I lived in Nashville, although not this live performance, and they were excellent).  "Broken Things." 

Lastly, but not leastly, here is Richard and Linda Thompson, husband and wife (at the time) with "Dimming of The Day/Dargai."  Kind of two songs at once, but this is how it was presented on the original recording.  

Edited by Snicolette - November 15 2021 at 17:43
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 00:58
I will post a few songs from bands that have brothers in their line up. 

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 06:17
And these are my 3 choices out of, who knows how many . . lol

Some jazz fusion by Brazilian husband-wife duo

Flora Purim & Airto Moreira: Samba Do Cantor
From their album: The Sun Is Out (1989)

A Cuban musical duo consisting of twin sisters Lisa-Kaindé and Naomi Diaz.

Ibeyi: River
From their debut self-titled album (2015)

A Belgian electronic/alt rock act founded by siblings David and Stephen Dewaele.

Soulwax: NY Excuse
From the album: Any Minute Now (2004)

Edited by Mila-13 - November 16 2021 at 06:44
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 11:06

My favorite track from my favorite AC/DC album.Clap
Ian

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 11:09
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

My favorite track from my favorite AC/DC album.Clap

you know it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thumbs UpHug
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 11:42
First takes on first half of Page One.  Wowie.  

George:  Tedeschi Trucks Band “I Want More”  Lotsa percussion (two drummers!) and horns here.  I do know of this band, but not this piece.  This is just good-time blues (if that makes sense) and excellently done at that.  Great, soulful delivery from Susan Tedeschi, and kick-ass backup singers.  Derek Trucks doesn’t disappoint on the guitar, offering up a couple of solo leads.  Surprise flute solo (from the organist).  Suddenly, Tammy!  “Get Off the Ground”  This has a singer/songwriter sensibility about it, but with full band, well produced song.  Reminiscent of many of the 90’s leading ladies’ acts, to my ears.  I never heard this, but would certainly have checked them out more in the day if I had, as I enjoy the genre.  Screaming Trees “Halo of Ashes”  As you said, definitely right off the bad with a psych-sound, washes of guitar and sitar (or sitar-guitar or effect?), but with the grittiness of grunge peppering the piece.  This would have done well in the “Paisley Underground,” of the LA scene in the 80’s.  A bit of space-rock thrown in, too.  Very inventive.  I think this is my favourite one, although all have merit and vary greatly in style.

Mike:  The Avett Brothers “And It Spread”  Kind of alt-country-rock, full regular rock band with some rustic-sounding fiddle.  Emotive male vocalist, with some really nice fingerpicking on guitar.  Interesting lyrics, with the frost when the person left and then later, the warmth spreading on their return.  The Rankins “One Day I Walk” Allowable, or no?  I listened to Christian’s version that he found.  Beautiful voice, Cookie, with a bit of a country twang, and as you said, very emotional delivery.  As with most singer/songwriter material, the lyrics are just as important as how it’s arranged.  A feeling of spirituality here.  The White Stripes “Ball and Biscuit”  Sometimes acts get dissed because they are successful.  Nothing wrong with being successful, there are successful acts that are good, it doesn’t have to be obscure to be good.  Very heavy blues here, with inventive guitar leads, enjoyable listen, I think your third here is my favourite.  I like the kind of sarcastic and strutting delivery of the vocals.  Gene Loves Jezebel “Kiss of Life”  I remember the band (we carried them on our buses back then), but don’t think I’ve heard this song before.  This has a sort of bluesy feel, too, but very different in style than the previous choice.  I like the plaintive quality of the vocal here, in keeping with the longing of the singer.  Beautiful love song.  This is far and away my favourite of yours here.   

Christian:  Hood “The Cliff Edge of Workaday Morality”  Ooooh, nice kind of eerie beginning, right off the bat.  I have quite come to enjoy your selections, Christian, although I at first didn’t quite grasp some of it.  This is very spooky, spoken vocal with ghostly strings, repeating oooooooo and unexpected start-stops.  There is some kind of keyboard (accordion?  Effected keyboard?)  Haunting, sounds a bit like a tortured soul.  I like it.  😊 

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>