1 [2.17%]
1 [2.17%]
1 [2.17%]
3 [6.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 13:58
And, having a quiet day with listening time, I've finished first takes on Page 1:

Easy Money:  Sly & The Family Stone “Family Affair”  I remember this quite well, they were quite the extended family.  Funk, soul, rock, they rolled it all together (and maybe rolled a few other things, too).  Based in Marin County/SF, they even dabbled in psych.  Laid back kind of song here, in their signature style(s).

Ian:  Freaks “Tchou tchou”  Fast paced electronic, jazzy piece, with lots of shifts and surprises.  There is a melody which repeats from time to time, then it all goes whirling off in several different directions.  Can’t let your ears off of it, or you’ll miss something.  Fun little bits of vocals in there, too.  Admirals Hard “Whip Jamboree/Let The Bulgine Run”  I actually have heard this before, Raff brought it in to one of the polls last March, had to look it up to be sure, but I thought I recognized the picture.  Which by no means means you should pull it, lots of new people in here since then.  Janel and Anthony “Big Sur”  Whangly guitars, thudding bass and really cool electric guitar, this one also going off in different directions, with some dididididididis happening now and again.  And this one wins my favourite of yours award, you know how I love those Middle Eastern-y slippy-slidey violins and cellos.  And great, great lead guitar, also in a Kaleidoscopic-psych (here I mean the US Kaleidscope with their “Taxim,” and other like pieces of music) style.  Far and away my favourite of yours here. 

Kees:  Bolland & Bolland “The Last Apache”  Very 60’s pop, highly produced as it should be, with their credentials.  Love the oboe sound and the vocal harmonies.  There is full orchestral production as well as a sort of cowboys and Indians bass line.  Horn section as well around halfway in.  Sounds like it should be on a soundtrack to me. 

Mila-13 Oesch's die Dritten “Ku-Ku Jodel”  Full on Swiss approach, yodeling away, with accordion, love the St Bernard.  Guess these folks will never get lost in the mountains, and if they do, the dog will oblige with the whiskey.  Fun! 

Logan:  Boards of Canada “Dayvan Cowboy”  Some effected guitar at the start here, very promising for the piece.  This stays in the shimmering slightly subtly shifting for quite some time, with some sonic whirlies gradually appearing.  Then strummed guitars come more to the fore.  Strings and some clapping-type percussion adds to the slow build, then lots of cymbals and some keys.  Great space stuff.  The Unthanks “Mount the Air”  Nice harp-y start, then lovely solo horn with some shimmers underneath, of chorded keys and soft bass.  Pretty-voiced female vocalist, lyrics are very similar to “So Early In The Spring,” a traditional tune, the chorus is in several similar tunes and even a Coleridge poem.  Beautiful arrangement, with the soft horns and violin, very different from other renditions of this, in all of their incarnations.   Just lovely. 

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 14:49
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Mila-13 Oesch's die Dritten “Ku-Ku Jodel”  Full on Swiss approach, yodeling away, with accordion, love the St Bernard.  Guess these folks will never get lost in the mountains, and if they do, the dog will oblige with the whiskey.  Fun! 

Hey Nickie, thanks for your comment, but this was just for fun! My real suggestions are on the next page, that is in fact on the previous one! LOL

Edited by Mila-13 - November 16 2021 at 14:51
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 15:13
Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

Hey Nickie, thanks for your comment, but this was just for fun! My real suggestions are on the next page, that is in fact on the previous one! LOL

Oh, I gathered that from what you said.  Objective achieved, fun and gave me a smile.  Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 15:49

Christian:  Hood “The Cliff Edge of Workaday Morality”  Ooooh, nice kind of eerie beginning, right off the bat.  I have quite come to enjoy your selections, Christian, although I at first didn’t quite grasp some of it.  This is very spooky, spoken vocal with ghostly strings, repeating oooooooo and unexpected start-stops.  There is some kind of keyboard (accordion?  Effected keyboard?)  Haunting, sounds a bit like a tortured soul.  I like it.  😊

Hey thanks! Happy to read that!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 15:52
It just goes to show that one's ears can be retuned to hear differently than one used to, with some well-done exposure to new sounds and concepts.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 02:43
This is a 'pick any three from six' job. Missing are Jane McGarrigle (another sister) Kate McGarrigle and Kate's ex, Loudon Wainwright.

Anna McGarrigle and Kate's children, Rufus and Martha Wainwright. Kate's 'Mendocino'

And another variation, with the addition of Lucy Wainwright Roche.

Edited by Ronstein - November 17 2021 at 02:48
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 13:30
Out of competition.

Just one of the many African musical families (I also cosidered f.e. the Kuti family) but there are also Jamaica's Marley's etc. etc.)

And here's some Balkan roma party vibe to brighten these gloomy November days. A father-son combo. Smile

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 13:36

Out of competition.

Just one of the many African musical families (I also cosidered f.e. the Kuti family) but there are also Jamaica's Marley's etc. etc.)

And here's some Balkan roma party vibe to brighten these gloomy November days. A father-son combo. Smile

These songs are quite commercial, they are elementary, very poor. LOL

Here is a real avant-garde song, intrepid, adventurous, with incredible sounds and an erudite composition, directly from the Sanremo festival of 1982 the couple Al Bano & Romina Geek

"Happiness is real only when shared"
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 13:46
@Lorenzo
We all have our guilty pleasures and Romina & Al Bano are certainly part of my repertoire! LOL

Edited by Mila-13 - November 17 2021 at 13:47
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 13:58

@Lorenzo
We all have our guilty pleasures and Romina & Al Bano are certainly part of my repertoire! LOL

Yes, in Italy we all cried when Al Bano & Romina separated, especially we lovers of prog and avant-garde!Cry

Who will give us Romina back, with her singing worthy of Demetrio Stratos? Who? And what about her long hair?Embarrassed

PS Think that Al Bano sued Michael Jackson for plagiarism, and he won it. A Jackson song has the same musical tune as Al Bano's ... Nobody knows how this is possible.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 14:28
The Watersons Photos (4 of 7) | Last.fm
The Watersons!

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - November 17 2021 at 14:36

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 14:32
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

@Lorenzo

Yes, in Italy we all cried when Al Bano & Romina separated, especially we lovers of prog and avant-garde!Cry

Who will give us Romina back, with her singing worthy of Demetrio Stratos? Who? And what about her long hair?Embarrassed

PS Think that Al Bano sued Michael Jackson for plagiarism, and he won it. A Jackson song has the same musical tune as Al Bano's ... Nobody knows how this is possible.
Al Bano has always been a bit argumentative, that's part of his dna. There is no Sanremo without Al Bano, in his humble opinion. lol But I listened to his song 'I cigni di Balaka' and there are indeed some similarities with Jackson's 'Will You Be There'. If that was a coincidence or not is difficult to judge. Ermm

Edited by Mila-13 - November 17 2021 at 14:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2021 at 17:42
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

There's another French couple that I want to suggest that is formed by Jehnny Beth and Johnny Hostile, but 
Jehnny Beth - Human:

Various removed for space:

Kees, we really should seek counseling.  Once again, I can’t access a video of yours, lol.  The one I find seems to have album cover art, with an unclothed statue female, 6:01 minutes.  Do let me know if this will suffice.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 02:22
^ That sounds like it is the same one, Nickie. Lenght and cover art seem to concur. Can you give a link (also for George to include it eventually in the playlist...)?

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 08:10

^ That sounds like it is the same one, Nickie. Lenght and cover art seem to concur. Can you give a link (also for George to include it eventually in the playlist...)?

Here you are:  
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 10:39
^ Thanks, Nickie. Of course, this one doesn't work for me, but I guess we have something to offer for both sides of the pond (I see that this one is also from Jehnny Beth's own yt-channel, so it should be alright).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 10:44

^ Thanks, Nickie. Of course, this one doesn't work for me, but I guess we have something to offer for both sides of the pond (I see that this one is also from Jehnny Beth's own yt-channel, so it should be alright).
  Good to hear that, Kees.  Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 11:32
First thoughts through Page 2, with a couple of additions, first:

Kees:  The Limińanas “Shadow People”  Psych pop sort of act, dreamy sound.  Another that would have done well in the Paisley Underground of LA when it was operative.  Lovely, warm sound.  Jehnny Beth “Human” Kind of eerie start, this becomes very avant sounding.  There is a feeling of detachment here in the music and vocals.  2/3rds in really lovely passage with keyboards and slippy sounds, male voice speaks.  Some guitar wavers in and out, back in the mix, then orchestral sounds, all way under, for the most part, until it comes to the fore.  

Christian:  Ginger & Kofi Baker “Drum Duet”  Will love to hear this, I worked with Kofi Baker a little (and his father, also) during the 80’s, I think I mentioned before in here.  Kofi is an excellent jazz drummer.  This would be from when Ginger was living in Colorado and working with polo ponies (he loved the sport, hence the equestrian center), about the same time we had him in the studio.    Monsters, both of them, in the best possible way.  What energy they both have!

Mila:  Flora Purim & Airto Moreira “Samba Do Cantor”  I have actually had the pleasure of seeing them live, in the very small Catalyst club in Santa Cruz, where they were perennial favourites.  They put on a great, energetic show.  Wonderful jazz fusion.  This has a soaring and warm feel, another of those pieces to listen to out on the patio with a cold drink, or driving up the coast on a sunny afternoon. Lots of great percussion featured with sophisticated sounds from the band and Flora as the vocalist.   Ibeyi “River”  Electronic sounds and claps start this one out, with some choral vocals.  I really like this duo’s vocals, they are very expressive.  There is a cool village kind of chorus near the end.  Soulwax “NY Excuse”  Whangy keyboards and drums, as you stated electronic/alt rock.  This has  lot of repetitiveness, building on the theme gradually.  Kind of a sad statement on humanity in the video.  And that was way back in 2004.  The twins are my favourite of yours, here.

Lorenzo:  Toto “Girl Goodbye”  I do know of Toto, primarily their big hits.  This one I do not know, so will expound.  Obviously very able playing by all and a powerful vocalist.  This has full soulful backup singers and super well-produced overall.  He told her!  Bruce Springsteen with The Sessions Band “Further on Up the Road”  This is how I like Bruce best, with an acoustic guitar.  Tin whistle, think I’m gonna like this one.  This is really beautiful, love the Celtic sound to it.  Fiddles, bodhrans, bunch of character voices, and all joining in unison.  Gang “La pianura dei sette Fratelli”  I remember this from before, good to hear it again, very folk and as I recall, a very humbling story. 

JD:  The Cowsills “Hair”  This version I certainly remember as well as having the Hair soundtrack embedded in my DNA, as we listened to it incessantly.  Fun song.  ?Gino Vanelli “The War Suite”  Promises to be epic.  And so it is.  Many choral parts with drums and fanfares of various sorts, also synth swirls here and there.  A query is asked about whether one would be willing to go to war or not.  Alvin and the Chipmunks “Uptown Funk”  How fun, I almost thought of putting in an Alvin and the Chipmunks song.  😊  This is very fun, but to be serious I would have to say that Gino Vanelli is my favourite here, since I’ve not heard it before.

dr wu23:  The Allman Brothers Band “Whipping Post”  Of course, very familiar with this, and agreed, certainly belongs here.  Outstanding choice, but I can't vote for it with my personal caveat.  I always enjoy your music, though, known or unknown.

Cristi:  Weedpecker “Molecule”  Spacy beginning, off to a great start here, as far as I’m concerned.  Orchestral, washy, psych music.  Takes me on a good trip.  Dire Straits “Where Do You Think You’re Going”  Here is stripped-down folk treatment, in the way that Dire Straits does very well, at least at the beginning.  Spare production as the band kicks in, just letting the performance and the song shine.  AC/DC “Sin City”  Now this I know very well, as my son used to play it quite a lot.  Very good at what they do, kick ass rock ‘n’ roll.  Savatage “Out On The Streets”  80’s heavy metal here, this is a good band of it’s sort.  All the boxes are checked, and offers some really compentent metally electric guitar.  This one is a ballad-esque, that picks up the pace during the choruses.  The first will be my fave here of yours, even though I didn't have a lot to say about it, just enjoyed the journey. 

Edited by Snicolette - November 18 2021 at 11:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 12:31
And, having a little time this am, here are my first takes on Page Three (mostly 2 member additions), at least so far:

Lorenzo:  Al Bano & Romina “Felicita”  Pop music, sort of a Sonny and Cher vibe to me, without knowing the words.  

Mila:  Out of Competition: Toumani Diabaté, Sidiki Diabaté “Rachid Ouiguini”  Now you’re talking.   Lovely kora playing, I love the instrument and have brought Seckou Keita to these polls before.  Here we have more than one kora, it sounds like?  Maybe they are trading off being in lead.  Anyway, thanks!  Good listening.  Boban & Marko Markovic Orchestra “Devla “  As ethereal as the last was, this is in your face, especially going from one to the other.  I do enjoy it, however, but it is completely different.  😊  Lots and lots of horns and enthusiastic vocals in that Balkan tradition.  

Ronstein:  Rufus Wainwright, Martha Wainwright & Anna McGarrigle “Mendocino”  This one speaks to me very strongly.  I spent all of my childhood summers just north of Mendocino on my great aunt’s ranch, which was paradise.  I knew Mendocino when it was truly just a little artist colony.  It remains one of my most loved places.  A beautiful paean.  Rufus Wainwright, Martha Wainwright, Lucy Wainwright Roche, and Loudon Wainwright III “One Man Guy”  They are quite the talented bunch, and prove that a great song doesn’t need a lot of instrumentation to prove it so.  Both have merit, but I do have to choose your first selection, as it is so sentimental for me.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 15:25

First thoughts through Page 2, with a couple of additions, first:

Lorenzo:  Toto “Girl Goodbye”  I do know of Toto, primarily their big hits.  This one I do not know, so will expound.  Obviously very able playing by all and a powerful vocalist.  This has full soulful backup singers and super well-produced overall.  He told her!  Bruce Springsteen with The Sessions Band “Further on Up the Road”  This is how I like Bruce best, with an acoustic guitar.  Tin whistle, think I’m gonna like this one.  This is really beautiful, love the Celtic sound to it.  Fiddles, bodhrans, bunch of character voices, and all joining in unison.  Gang “La pianura dei sette Fratelli”  I remember this from before, good to hear it again, very folk and as I recall, a very humbling story. 

Thanks Nickie, always very nice to read what you write.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>