1 [2.17%]
1 [2.17%]
3 [6.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 08:39
Admirals Hard for me
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 09:03
Actually, I'm going to nominate one that isn't among my original post.  

This is from the couple Glen Hansard from Ireland and Markéta Iglová from Czechoslovakia.  They even did a movie in 2007 called "Once" before they recorded this track.  Collectively, they are known as The Swell Season and this song comes from their 2009 album "Strict Joy".  They are currently still touring together under this name.

So here is my nomination
The Swell Season - "Low Rising"

Edited by TCat - November 22 2021 at 10:09

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 10:08
Haven't had time to listen yet, and that won't happen in the next week/10 days or so, but I will do so when it is possible. I already gave my nomination (Jehnny Beth - Human)...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 16:43
First thoughts on hearing Mike's final addition and nomination:

Mike:  The Swell Season “Low Rising” Sort of a soulful/folk singer-songwriter duo.  Nice subdued horns and whangy guitar lead in the middle section.  Very understated tune, could be a grower for me.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 17:08
My nomination is

Bruce Springsteen &The Sessions Band: Further On (Up The Road) live in Dublin
"Happiness is real only when shared"
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 21:16
My nominee will be Kings of Leon - Be Someone 
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 21:27

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 08:58
Thanks for that throwback Puppy.  Dead  

I actually met The Judds once.  Not something I've been that proud of.  The company I worked for back in the late 80's hosted a country music concert with The Judds, Steve Wariner and Dwight Yoakum, and we were obligated to attend.  I was also obligated to go backstage after and do a meet and greet and have my picture taken with The Judds.  Naomi was nice enough but Wynonna was kind of a snob.  

Anyway, thanks for the memories I'd rather forget Mr. Pupster.

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 10:48
I've updated the nominees but I think we are missing a few. Let me know and I'll make another update later today. I will be back on in about 8 hours and then put together a playlist and add any others.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 11:20
First thoughts on siLLy puPPy's post of The Judds:
siLLy PuPPy:  The Judds “Girls’ Night Out”  Of course I know of The Judds, living in Nashville for 9 years, you couldn’t have missed them.  We built a bus for them, too (which is why I was in Nashville in the first place, bus business).  Anyway, this is country pop rock with confident stars at the height of their career.  It doesn't pop for me as an extra special tune of theirs, but they certainly fit the category.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 12:03

Now that I've seen the line-up so far I'm a bit confused. In terms of music quality out of my three proposals Flora Purim & Airto Moreira definitely stand out for me. But since they are quite well-known I thought that I should nominate one of the remaining options. Did Flora & Airto appear in any of the previous polls?

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 13:14
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Sly and the Family Stone "Family Affair"   Almost everybody in the band was related.

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 13:46
Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

Now that I've seen the line-up so far I'm a bit confused. In terms of music quality out of my three proposals Flora Purim & Airto Moreira definitely stand out for me. But since they are quite well-known I thought that I should nominate one of the remaining options. Did Flora & Airto appear in any of the previous polls?

I dont think so. 

Edited by jamesbaldwin - November 23 2021 at 13:47
"Happiness is real only when shared"
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 15:59
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I actually met The Judds once.  Not something I've been that proud of.  The company I worked for back in the late 80's hosted a country music concert with The Judds, Steve Wariner and Dwight Yoakum, and we were obligated to attend.  I was also obligated to go backstage after and do a meet and greet and have my picture taken with The Judds.  Naomi was nice enough but Wynonna was kind of a snob.  

FYI, sometimes the impression that someone in that circumstance is a snob can be explained thus, they may actually sort of be in the same situation that you describe yourself in...feeling obligated to mix with the consumers after the show...the 'meet and greet' that you describe. Two sides of the same coin. Not all artists really give a damn about the elbow rubbing stuff. Once the thrill and energy of the live show has passed some would rather just retreat to their happy place.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 16:20
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

I dont think so. 

Thank you, Lorenzo!

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 16:34

I assume that most of you are familiar with Flora & Airto who are actually my first choice. I'll give therefore a chance to my young Cuban twins, I think they will fit in well in this family themed poll.

So I'll nominate: Ibeyi with their song River.

Edited by Mila-13 - November 23 2021 at 16:35
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 17:43
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

FYI, sometimes the impression that someone in that circumstance is a snob can be explained thus, they may actually sort of be in the same situation that you describe yourself in...feeling obligated to mix with the consumers after the show...the 'meet and greet' that you describe. Two sides of the same coin. Not all artists really give a damn about the elbow rubbing stuff. Once the thrill and energy of the live show has passed some would rather just retreat to their happy place.

Yep.  The main difference is .... it's part of their job to do the elbow rubbing stuff.  That why they get paid the big bucks.  Even though the concert was obligatory for me to attend, I didn't get paid for it. But when I did get paid to meet and greet customers, you can pretty much guess I was expected to be at least tolerant about the situation.  Now I would never buy any of their music because it's not my style, but I guess that is why after the concert, I carried on with my life with some degree of respect for Naomi, but not so much for her daughter.

Anyway, the comment I made to Silly Puppy was more of a joke to him than it was trying to say something bad about the artists.  I was just kidding around with him, but after reading my comment, I can see how it might be taken as a slam against The Judds, when that's not how I intended it.  Though the story actually happened, I didn't want to use it as bad comment toward the artist, and I'm sorry about that.

Edited by TCat - November 23 2021 at 18:12

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 07:08
I think I just need dr wu's nomination.

Playlist:

Link: [url]https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-zzvl_w6Fx43S4z0UtN3crGU6SkxwI4P[url]

I have the U.S. playable version of Jehnny Beth in the playlist in the order of the poll. I think I added the non-U.S. playable one at the end. Could someone confirm? Thanks. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 07:22

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Yep.  The main difference is .... it's part of their job to do the elbow rubbing stuff.  That why they get paid the big bucks.  Even though the concert was obligatory for me to attend, I didn't get paid for it. But when I did get paid to meet and greet customers, you can pretty much guess I was expected to be at least tolerant about the situation.  Now I would never buy any of their music because it's not my style, but I guess that is why after the concert, I carried on with my life with some degree of respect for Naomi, but not so much for her daughter.

Anyway, the comment I made to Silly Puppy was more of a joke to him than it was trying to say something bad about the artists.  I was just kidding around with him, but after reading my comment, I can see how it might be taken as a slam against The Judds, when that's not how I intended it.  Though the story actually happened, I didn't want to use it as bad comment toward the artist, and I'm sorry about that.
Fair enough. AFYI, my comments are based on discussions with and observation of mostly Jazz and Blues musicians at the festival I support. No judgment on my part was intended.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 07:23
OMG, I just realized how Canadian our posts are. Sorry aboot that. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>