1 [2.17%]
1 [2.17%]
1 [2.17%]
3 [6.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 15:45
Oh, I preferred the Bruce Springsteen to all of your other choices this time, Lorenzo.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 16:12
..from the old days....surely known by some....but a  favorite LP nevertheless.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 16:24
Another old favorite from the old days.... college, wine, etc, and music.............

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 17:10
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Oh, I preferred the Bruce Springsteen to all of your other choices this time, Lorenzo.

I am very pleased, but I was actually convinced that you would like this Bruce song. I only post songs that deviate from the Springsteen's music standard, and which I believe have a good degree of refinement in the arrangement. That is, I reserve for you some hidden jewels of his music. I have in mind other two or three  songs of his that might interest you and others, especially one track live with a string orchestra.

Let's talk about your three suggestions:

Bareback is a melodic folk song with an acoustic guitar arrangement; austere track, sung by a female voice, as is often the case in folk music. It is a very cold, icy, dry atmosphere, which increases in rhythm towards three minutes and where the repetition of the refrain acquires importance: it brings us in the mood of a wasteland. I read that they are a band from London, but this music is more suited to the Scottish Highlands (where I traveled many years ago).

Broken Thing is another thin song, voice and guitar, even more sober and slow than the previous one, this piece works by subtraction, and only towards the end does it reveal a greater emotive transport.

Dimming of the Day starts quietly, sounds even more extreme than the previous songs, then comes a barrel organ and Richard Thompson's vocals. This piece tests the listener more for its length and because it almost sounds like a lament, but it is structured like the typical verse / chorus song. Around 4 minutes there is an acoustic moment that sounds like a slowed down and deconstructed country interlude, let's say post-country music. This long instrumental piece transforms a plaintive folk song into a refined, author's track and therefore certainly goes in the direction of those who love prog. I would have been happy if Linda's voice had finally returned for one last verse and chorus.

Three beautiful songs, the first, although austere, is the one with a richer arrangement and perhaps it is the most accessible track, the third is the most extreme and refined piece. I am undecided which of the two I like best, perhaps Bareback.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2021 at 21:02
I was slow on this one and having a hard time finding bands that are family that are not on here. Still i persevered and found these three, a mix of conventional and non-conventional 

I like Kings of Leon as one of my guilty pleasures. A lot of their stuff is quite commercial, others such as this track I always can listen to

My 2nd track is by Arcade Fire, you will all know this one, but the live performance just hits the spot. 

This choice would be by The Shags - kind of Nico meets The Madcap Laughs. I quite like this band Wink

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 07:59
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I am very pleased, but I was actually convinced that you would like this Bruce song. I only post songs that deviate from the Springsteen's music standard, and which I believe have a good degree of refinement in the arrangement. That is, I reserve for you some hidden jewels of his music. I have in mind other two or three  songs of his that might interest you and others, especially one track live with a string orchestra.

Let's talk about your three suggestions:

Bareback is a melodic folk song with an acoustic guitar arrangement; austere track, sung by a female voice, as is often the case in folk music. It is a very cold, icy, dry atmosphere, which increases in rhythm towards three minutes and where the repetition of the refrain acquires importance: it brings us in the mood of a wasteland. I read that they are a band from London, but this music is more suited to the Scottish Highlands (where I traveled many years ago).

Broken Thing is another thin song, voice and guitar, even more sober and slow than the previous one, this piece works by subtraction, and only towards the end does it reveal a greater emotive transport.

Dimming of the Day starts quietly, sounds even more extreme than the previous songs, then comes a barrel organ and Richard Thompson's vocals. This piece tests the listener more for its length and because it almost sounds like a lament, but it is structured like the typical verse / chorus song. Around 4 minutes there is an acoustic moment that sounds like a slowed down and deconstructed country interlude, let's say post-country music. This long instrumental piece transforms a plaintive folk song into a refined, author's track and therefore certainly goes in the direction of those who love prog. I would have been happy if Linda's voice had finally returned for one last verse and chorus.

Three beautiful songs, the first, although austere, is the one with a richer arrangement and perhaps it is the most accessible track, the third is the most extreme and refined piece. I am undecided which of the two I like best, perhaps Bareback.
  Things to look forward to!  Smile
As always, thoughtful deconstruction of the presentations, Lorenzo.  I appreciate your viewpoint on them, you always make me hear them in a different way than I do, with the perspective you bring.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 10:43
Originally posted by tigerfeet tigerfeet wrote:

I like Kings of Leon as one of my guilty pleasures. A lot of their stuff is quite commercial, others such as this track I always can listen to
Video removed for space

This is one of the bands I wanted to post, but they ended up getting bumped with the hope that someone else would post them.  I was going to post "Knocked Up", but the track you put up is also great.  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 12:04
First thoughts on thus far of Page 4, with a couple of additions for one pollster.

dr Wu23: Neville Brothers “Voodoo”  R&B here, I have heard something or other by them, but not this.  Top-notch of it’s type, smooth horns and a sensuous beat.  Mason Proffit “Two Hangmen”  Definitely remember the band, but do I remember this song?  Let’s give it a listen and find out.  I do vaguely remember it, so it’s won’t be voted on.   This is kind of a country-rock band, of which there were a few in the early 70s.  A story-song.  Nice harmonies and soft production.  I will go with the Nevilles for my favourite here, since it was unfamiliar.    

tigerfeet:  Kings of Leon “Be Somebody”  This band was all the rage in Nashville when I was living there, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard any of their music.  This is kind of alt-rock, with a raw edge.  This is a good solidly produced piece, with a break about 2/3rds in to keep interest, and the intensity builds after that until the fadeout at the end.  Arcade Fire “Wake Up”  I do know this one, a big hit.  But fun to watch the live performance, I agree it’s executed perfectly, they are obviously have a blast.  The Shaggs “That Little Sports Car”  I’ve heard of them (and they were in a long-ago poll here, but a different song).  This is sort of deliberately bad, like when the Bonzo Dog Band goes off key and such at times, for comedic effect.  Twangy guitar and dissonant vocals, off beat drums etc.  Kings of Leon it will be for me, for my favourite here.

tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 17:50
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by tigerfeet tigerfeet wrote:

Video removed for space

This is one of the bands I wanted to post, but they ended up getting bumped with the hope that someone else would post them.  I was going to post "Knocked Up", but the track you put up is also great.  

Yeah, I was considering a couple of other tracks from them too. But this one stuck with me. 
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 18:00

tigerfeet:  Kings of Leon “Be Somebody”  This band was all the rage in Nashville when I was living there, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard any of their music.  This is kind of alt-rock, with a raw edge.  This is a good solidly produced piece, with a break about 2/3rds in to keep interest, and the intensity builds after that until the fadeout at the end.  Arcade Fire “Wake Up”  I do know this one, a big hit.  But fun to watch the live performance, I agree it’s executed perfectly, they are obviously have a blast.  The Shaggs “That Little Sports Car”  I’ve heard of them (and they were in a long-ago poll here, but a different song).  This is sort of deliberately bad, like when the Bonzo Dog Band goes off key and such at times, for comedic effect.  Twangy guitar and dissonant vocals, off beat drums etc.  Kings of Leon it will be for me, for my favourite here.

Thank you Nickie. I think I may nominate Kings as they are the best option from the 3 choices, although, The Shaggs, are calling me for a number of reasons. I will ponder a little longer Big smile

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 18:29
@Christian

The Hood song reflects your love for the latest Talk Talks and the music by O.Rang. Wacky mood, weird rhythm, almost industrial free jazz background sounds, sound research that prevails over the composition. An alienating singing. Overall, the piece works well and is very original, I like it. It could be a contender of mine.

(The duet between father and son Baker sounds to my ears as a pure exercise in style, a display of technique, so it leaves me rather indifferent.)
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 01:41
isn't it time to think of our final nominations? 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 07:18
I'll get nowhere near listening to everything this weekend, so I just leave quick comments for Lorenzo and Nicky (with preferential treatment because you have commented on the submissions, thanks!). I'm happy to see good feedback on the Hood song. Smile I love watching and feeling the Baker duet, it feels like a  proper family thing, so well suited for this poll, still of course it's not really much of a composition.

Generally the thing with melodic subtle and calm music for me is that I do like it, but there is some unexplainable magic factor that makes some melodies work for me and others not. I find the magic factor this time in the Bruce Springsteen song (would you believe it!? Due to Lorenzo's never tiring efforts I may end up going to watch him life if I get the opportunity, although I still don't see myself buying an album of his), and in the Hank Dogs, who also come with a wonderful voice. Julie Miller's voice I'm not so sold on, although the song is beautiful, Richard and Linda Thompson on the other hand do great singing but the song somehow doesn't do the trick for me. The Gang song is good to listen to, but I have difficulties with most music that shouts "I'm about the lyrics" too loudly at me. Toto for sure has some complexity and interest, but the smooth American commercial production is not my  cup of tea. Al Bano & Romina's Felicita was far too popular in Germany for not being hated by me (at the time that is). Wink  

Edited by Lewian - November 21 2021 at 07:24
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 02:33
my final nomination is Weedpecker - Molecule
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 02:42
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

...4. Make your final nomination by Monday Nov. 22....

I'm not confident in my pick as I love both of my choices in different ways, but I will go with Boards of Canada's "Dayvan Cowboy" over The Unthanks' "Mount the Air" as my nomination. I do find that The Unthanks very beautiful and wonderful. "Dayvan Cowboy" has the possible advantage of being half the length. That doesn't make it more enjoyable to me, but in a long playlist I could imagine some appreciating brevity.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 04:49
Mendicino is my nomination
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 04:50
I go with
Hood - The Cliff Edge Of Workaday Morality.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 05:35
Hey all, I've been busy, so let's have all final nominations in by end of today (Eastern time in the U.S.), and I'll get the poll up tonight.

Thanks!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 05:36
Gino Vannelli - the War Suite

Clocking in at over 10 minutes this piece is probably Gino's most progressive.
From the opening piano and the moody grandiose orchestration through the synth rock middle section and ending with an almost 80's Genesis section The War Suite is one sweet tune.

It gets my nomination.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 08:30
I will go with The Hank Dogs "Let Go"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>