Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2021 PA Music Tournament - Heavy Hitters #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these songs is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [21.21%]
15 [45.45%]
4 [12.12%]
3 [9.09%]
4 [12.12%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2021 PA Music Tournament - Heavy Hitters #1
    Posted: November 20 2021 at 14:38
As we approach the end of 2021 I thought that it would be fun to put together a "tournament of champions" to introduce, discuss, compare and discover some of the best progressive rock songs released during 2021.  The format will be similar to the COVID Tournament that I put together last year, for those of you who remember that.  I will create 25 separate polls with 5 songs each.  Each song will likely be my favorite song from each album that I have listened to or will listen to.  I have scoured the PA top albums lists and read through member reviews in my attempts to find the best of the best.  Of course, what is the best is purely subjective and I won't pretend that my best will be anybody else's best, but hopefully this will lead to some interesting discussions and some new discoveries for me and others.  Since I don't have enough time, money, or ears to listen to every one of the thousands of new songs that were released during 2021, this will in no way be a definitive tournament, but feel free to PM me with suggestions of songs that you would like to see included in later polls. (Or just post them in this thread if you would prefer).  I will try and touch on as many of the different genres as I can, so while not all songs will be favorites for everyone, there will hopefully be a diamond here and there.  The more participation the better!!!  I will likely add a new poll every few days, as time permits, so as to try and cover as much as we can to try and help people discover new songs and albums for their end of year lists or maybe their Christmas lists.  LOL 

Like with the COVID tournament, the first bracket consists of heavy hitters, which are the well-known, long-lived bands who have returned with new albums/songs during 2021.  It is likely that many of you will have already have heard these songs, but if not, maybe you will be pleasantly surprised as you check these out.  

I look forward to sharing these polls with you all, and hopefully, there is a lot of participation and everyone enjoys participating.   Please discuss your thoughts.  It really is the discussion that I find more interesting than the actual voting...although that will drive which songs move on to the next rounds.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 14:48
Porcupine Tree - Harridan
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 15:08
I was tempted to vote for The Ice Bridge from the best ever YES album, but then I listened to Kayak's song which is Out of This World! Thumbs Up
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 16:28
Great idea this series. I don't regularly listen to stuff from the same year. I do discover new music but this is usually scattered randomly over the last 5-10 years. Just to get a motivation to give a lot of new stuff a try is nice. Porcupine Tree here, Hackett second. In fact I find them all at least OK.

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 16:42
PT
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 18:46
Steve Hackett for me. 
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 19:08
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 19:23
Ice Bridge by a hair over Harridan
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 08:49
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Confused Probably a nasty addiction that you should quit...but I'm not getting your point.  
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 09:02
PT
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 11:51
Knowing PA's history, I'd lay 2 to 1 odds that Porcupine Tree will probably win this tournament, so I'm not surprised that they have jumped out to the lead in the first poll.  It is pretty great to have them back and I am definitely looking forward to the release of the new album next year.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 13:58
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Knowing PA's history, I'd lay 2 to 1 odds that Porcupine Tree will probably win this tournament.

It still depends on the competition they have around. The only reason I voted for them, it's that they did not have much competition in this poll (IMO obviously). 
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 17:56
PT---I love Hackett but there are 2 songs on that album I don't like and Foxs Tango is one of them.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 22:33
I like Fox's Tango and Ice Bridge (though not the album), but PT is the stand out.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 07:28
Mr. Hackett.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 07:31

Confused Probably a nasty addiction that you should quit...but I'm not getting your point.  

Airplane referenceLOL
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 10:15
Nice, Scott, I'm looking forward to this poll series - I discovered some interesting prog thanks to the Covid-series. I may not have the occasion to listen to every thing all the time, but when I can I will. Of these "Heavy Hitters" my first impression is that they all seem to be on a stand still regarding their musical evolution (more of the same or even worse...), but they're all decent listens, even Yes' cover of a Francis Monkman track.
For now, I go for the short but very pleasant Strawbs track, but that's just to pick one of these...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 19:35
THAT is NOT Yes.  THAT is INDEED Porcupine Tree.  I went with PT.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 20:48
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

THAT is NOT Yes.  THAT is INDEED Porcupine Tree.  I went with PT.

Agreed with all three of those sentiments
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 08:26
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Airplane referenceLOL
OK.  I haven't seen that movie in many years.  Not sure why Drew felt the need for the insult but I hope it was more directed at the song selections and not at me. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>