Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRussia/Ukraine tensions - Any concern?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 38>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 11:44
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

First of all, as has been stated before, NATO moving its boundaries eastward has been because of the explicit invitation by the sovereign nations that have joined since 1991, all of which (except maybe Montenegro) had democratically elected governments at the time of their accession. Why should Russia have a say in this? Anyone who thinks a Russian intervention is justified here (which I'm not accusing anyone here of, for the record) should at least be consistent and say the Bay of Pigs invasion was also justified.

Secondly, the supposed threat of direct NATO aggression against the Russian Federation is a complete fantasy; there is absolutely no one in their right mind who believes that a direct military conflict between the two powers could possibly be beneficial to anyone, least of all leaders of Western governments who despite their refusal to rule out Ukraine's NATO membership have also refused to guarantee it (in spite of the Ukrainian government's wishes) and have been mostly ambiguous in how far their support for Ukraine will extend in the scenario of a Russian attack. If the US government were looking for some military adventure to prop up the arms industry and distract from the needs of its population it wouldn't have fled Afghanistan in such a rush. Modern Russia is part of the global capitalist system; big businesses generally have far more to gain from normalized relations and free trade than from sanctions and conflict. Nobody in the west wants a war, and reliable polls may be hard to come by but I'm fairly certain that virtually no one in Russia wants it either.

It is a very complex, issue. It is very hard to tell what exactly makes a country the superpower. Modern day Russia thinks of itself as a superpower. Financially, certainly, Russia is in the second half of the top ten economies in the world (if not farther), financially Russia can't compete with the USA or China. But is it only prosperity that makes something super?.. I am a devoted, dedicated, whatever-else fan of Gentle Giant, the prominent band that once sang, "Isn't it strange or it's funny - working for years, have no money"... 

Russia is the largest country on Earth, slightly smaller than Pluto, the former planet. Russia is sort of linked to Byzantine Empire by means of preserving the Eastern Orthodox Christianity in full bloom. Russia has comparable to the USA's amount of nuclear warheads. Russia thinks of itself as The Third Rome or at least The Final Byzantium. 

Given that, Russia pretends to have something a la The Monroe Doctrine. 

Again, certainly, one may say that the USA are exceptional because they have Disney(land), Hollywood, fast foods of various kinds, so many nice songs, movies, cartoons. Because they are so prosperous. Because, in general, tens of millions of people in the world want to become Americans, want to live there. Because it is a giant and generally successful melting pot. Because the American prosperity and might was built without Stalin's methods, without forced collectivisation, without millions of imprisoned and hundreds of thousands of innocently killed, without the Gulag system. 

Then, which criteria really make the nation superpower, again? How can the different nations with different mentalities and different speed of progression be compared in this case? Stalin died in spring 1953 - when did the racism die in the USA? When did Martin Luther King die? No leader of the Soviet state was shot in the whole Soviet history... Is it very democratic that the President of, as they say, greatest country in the world is shot in public on air, the leader of the prosperous superpower? Did the anti-Vietnam demonstrations really had any effect on ending the war? How many Americans died or were harmed during Great Depression? Were all Hawaiians really happy to lose their independence? If we count exact numbers, per cents - yes, it looks like the USA and the UK killed and harmed less of their own and foreign citizens than the USSR or pre-USSR Russia. I agree. How much should that difference be to consider supremacy, then? How much should the financial difference be to consider the USA a superpower and Russia not? 

Now, if we agree that both the USA and Russia are superpowers - then since the USA has Monroe Doctrine and its derivatives, Russia has the equal right to have own variation of the same document. Notice that the USA as we know it now, has never been invaded by foreign invaders en masse. Russia has been a lot. No doubt, it is highly unlikely that NATO somehow would attack Russia - but when your country has been invaded once-twice a century (by Poland in the 17th century, by Sweden in the 18th century, by France in the 19th century, by Germans twice in the 20th), you tend to be overreactive and slightly paranoid, you know. 

Think of the same good old Caribbean missile crisis... Cuba was an independent country. Previously, the USA located its missiles in Turkey, next to the USSR. In return, the Soviets (in full accordance with every possible international law) located their missiles in Cuba - as it was the wish of Cubans. Both Cuba and Turkey and the USA and the USSR had all the possible rights to do what they did. However, the USA FOUND that to be dangerous (though the post-Stalin USSR has never claimed any violent expansion, Khrushchev with all his emotional instability allowed the USSR-USA communication on various levels, there were cultural exchanges, famous American exhibition in Moscow). The USA were ready to start a nuclear war if necessary. In international judicial terms, it was nonsense - every independent country has the right to deploy anything on its territory. If the country FEELS like critically threatened - no international laws can help... 

Similarly, Moscow does not feel comfortable, knowing the modern missiles (much faster and efficient than those in Khrushchev time) would be able to reach the heart of Russia, the Kremlin in a few minutes. Who knows who would become the president of the USA in the future?.. Who can guarantee he or she would be adequate enough?.. 

When the superpower feels like threatened, law and laws do not matter, at all. A cytokine storm, macro version, you know... Cytokine storm does not take your nationality into account - Americans, Russians or Chinese may suffer from it equally. 
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 16:34
I couldn't fond the original post, because Woon Dead seems to go back a few pages to find new ways to express his opinion once more.

First of all, as has been stated before, NATO moving its boundaries eastward has been because of the explicit invitation by the sovereign nations that have joined since 1991, all of which (except maybe Montenegro) had democratically elected governments at the time of their accession. Why should Russia have a say in this? Anyone who thinks a Russian intervention is justified here (which I'm not accusing anyone here of, for the record) should at least be consistent and say the Bay of Pigs invasion was also justified.

Secondly, the supposed threat of direct NATO aggression against the Russian Federation is a complete fantasy; there is absolutely no one in their right mind who believes that a direct military conflict between the two powers could possibly be beneficial to anyone, least of all leaders of Western governments who despite their refusal to rule out Ukraine's NATO membership have also refused to guarantee it (in spite of the Ukrainian government's wishes) and have been mostly ambiguous in how far their support for Ukraine will extend in the scenario of a Russian attack. If the US government were looking for some military adventure to prop up the arms industry and distract from the needs of its population it wouldn't have fled Afghanistan in such a rush. Modern Russia is part of the global capitalist system; big businesses generally have far more to gain from normalized relations and free trade than from sanctions and conflict. Nobody in the west wants a war, and reliable polls may be hard to come by but I'm fairly certain that virtually no one in Russia wants it either.

If I may, I really don't trust NATO when the Democrats are in power in the US. Obama (a usually cool president) & his adminstration were  total dicks with Russia and the crisis of Crimea and Donbas region in 2013/14 is a direct consequence. And it's no surprise that almost as soon as the Dems are back in power, things flare up again in the region, despite having peace while the biggest US Prez idiot  in the interim .
It's not a coincidence, ya know.

As for Afghanistan's debacle, I'm sure most US vets are somewhere in the Black Sea area right now. And Biden is looking for redemption at home after his humiliation in Kabul (which BTW, he inherited from predessors and therefore shouldn't be considered as guilty of).

Otherwise I much prefer the US with the Dems in the white house than with the Reps.
I don't think I was alive when the Reps last had a good prez in the WH - Gerry Ford being the least catastrophic of them.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 16:47
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I couldn't fond the original post, because Woon Dead seems to go back a few pages to find new ways to express his opinion once more.

I am always looking for new ways in everything.LOL 

I'm sorry for confusing you. 

I simply wanted to focus on Mirakaze as I find her posts very humanistic. I believe in humanistic approach, cherish it and respect. I also cherish and respect realism, though. 
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 21:25
Oops, just thought I'd log in drunk after gawd knows how long.

Who knows what'll happen. Perhaps nothing, perhaps something. A couple things strike me as interesting about the media coverage of this whole thing. First of all, it's not unique to this or any other conflict, but I always notice now how coverage speaks of what "the US" will do or what "Russia" will do. This is nothing new, but for some reason it just strikes me more and more each time it happens in each new conflict. Just a funny way that words and framing can be used to...manufacture consent as some people put it nicely once. I'm pretty sure if you did a poll of Russians and Americans, most of us wouldn't want anything to happen in Ukraine. And yet.

Secondly, I don't feel like pretending to be Nostradamus is very accurate, but I think most clear-eyed observers can see that the US has been so beaten by loss in foreign conflicts that any future engagement (let alone a proxy war with a post-superpower nuclear Russia) is completely out of the question. Our country is in decline culturally and though we are strong economically, the fissures are there and sooner or later this country will crack, certainly in my life time. We'll still desire to be hegemon of the world until it becomes apparent that we're (metaphorically) cannibalizing ourselves at home. But that's another discussion. The ultimate point is that assuming Putin's power is completely unchecked, and assuming he really wants the shed blood to take Ukraine, he will and the US and NATO won't be able to stop him. They'll cry murder but the point is that Ukraine is on Russia's border and way more in Russia's sphere of influence than ours. We want the whole world to be in our sphere of influence. Doesn't work like that anymore.

A further point that I won't really elaborate on cause I'm sleepy is that defensive pacts, especially expansive ones like NATO are really a massive game of poker. It's all bluffing because when the chips are down, the US is not going to mobilize for total war to prevent, say, the Baltic states from being invaded by an autocratic Russia. No power has really tested these pacts as far as I know since WWII/the fall of the Soviet Union, but my personal opinion is that if it really comes to it, Americans will not fight for these smaller states.

In the end, though it can't be applied to everything, the saying of Thucydides rings true: "the strong do what they can, and the weak suffer what they must." (Not trying to imply Ukraine is weak, but making a general statement about geopolitics.)

Edited by stonebeard - January 30 2022 at 21:29
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 02:32

If I may, I really don't trust NATO when the Democrats are in power in the US. Obama (a usually cool president) & his adminstration were  total dicks with Russia and the crisis of Crimea and Donbas region in 2013/14 is a direct consequence. And it's no surprise that almost as soon as the Dems are back in power, things flare up again in the region, despite having peace while the biggest US Prez idiot  in the interim .
It's not a coincidence, ya know.

As for Afghanistan's debacle, I'm sure most US vets are somewhere in the Black Sea area right now. And Biden is looking for redemption at home after his humiliation in Kabul (which BTW, he inherited from predessors and therefore shouldn't be considered as guilty of).

Otherwise I much prefer the US with the Dems in the white house than with the Reps.
I don't think I was alive when the Reps last had a good prez in the WH - Gerry Ford being the least catastrophic of them.

The Obama Whitehouse was quite bloodthirsty. Libya, being another case in point. Libya was relatively stable and wealthy, as far as North African & ME nations, run by despots go. They had a good, free education system, and good health service. There were no restrictions on women. Enter Obama and Hillary, with their 'kinetic military solution' (something I think Putin may be lampooning, in fairly recent comments) and all of a sudden the richest country in the region is a basket case, overrun with religious lunatics.

That went well..

It probably did go well as far as they were concerned.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 06:44
Associated Press reporter presses State Department for proof of Russian False Flag- 

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 07:25
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Associated Press reporter presses State Department for proof of Russian False Flag- 

All this crap is scripted. Wag the dog!!! There have been many a CIA and other alphabet agency whistleblower explaining how and why false flags are necessary to maintain empire. With prez B's capitalist connections to Ukraine it's no wonder they are pushing this so hard. Doesn't seem to be working like it used to.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 07:39
Europe gets 40% of it's oil from Russia, with a large amount going to Germany. Make a deal with the Devil and he will invade Ukraine. Eventually.

Edited by SteveG - February 04 2022 at 07:50
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 07:53
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Europe gets 40% of it's oil from Russia, with a large amount going to Germany. Make a deal with the Devil and they will invade Ukraine. Eventually.

It's all so complex given the long history of that region. Would it be invasion or reclaiming? Many parts of Ukraine were part of Russia before external forces carved out these regions for their own economic exploits. The only thing i've learned is that nothing is what it seems and there are always invisible hands pushing agendas that may not always be so obvious. In this case the oil connection with Russia is definitely a factor which Europe would be suicidal in taking too far. All in all, i'd put my money on Russia as it is and always has been a wily beast that never fails to surprise. I haven't kept up with this thread so have no idea what's already been discussed. All i know that the US has ZERO credibility in such foreign interference.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 07:58

Europe gets 40% of it's oil from Russia, with a large amount going to Germany. Make a deal with the Devil and he will invade Ukraine. Eventually.

I have a feeling that Putin has backed himself into a corner here, and will have to take the lead in de-escalating somehow. He's got all his troops in position, all dressed up with nowhere to go. If he marches into Donbass, he'll get a load of sanctions dumped on him, and if he launches a full on invasion, he'll get the sanctions, plus he'll be bogged down in a costly and bloody war possibly for years, which will bankrupt Moscow - especially if they're cut off from SWIFT.

A war would destabilise the entire region possibly leading to a showdown with NATO, which will mean curtains for us all, so no point to that! Lose/Lose. What a waste of life, time and money.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 08:08

This buffoonish arsehole has got less credibility than Powell showing mass-destruction weapons in Irak some 20 years ago. Dead

What kind of sick war-mongers b*****ds are inside the Dems' administration. ConfusedShockedThumbs DownNuke

Edited by Sean Trane - February 04 2022 at 08:11
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 08:35

This buffoonish arsehole has got less credibility than Powell showing mass-destruction weapons in Irak some 20 years ago. Dead

What kind of sick war-mongers b*****ds are inside the Dems' administration. ConfusedShockedThumbs DownNuke
It sounds like the things that Putin would do. This is not the Dali Lama he's talking about.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 08:48

It sounds like the things that Putin would do. This is not the Dali Lama he's talking about.

Putin is in Beijing to trade sport doping techniques TonguePigNuke
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 11:19
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I have a feeling that Putin has backed himself into a corner here, and will have to take the lead in de-escalating somehow. He's got all his troops in position, all dressed up with nowhere to go. If he marches into Donbass, he'll get a load of sanctions dumped on him, and if he launches a full on invasion, he'll get the sanctions, plus he'll be bogged down in a costly and bloody war possibly for years, which will bankrupt Moscow - especially if they're cut off from SWIFT.

A war would destabilise the entire region possibly leading to a showdown with NATO, which will mean curtains for us all, so no point to that! Lose/Lose. What a waste of life, time and money.

The SWIFT option comes with complications that could backfire on US and allies.  
1. Europe needs Russian oil and gas.  SWIFT sanctions would complicate Russia/Europe oil trade, thus raising high oil/gas prices even higher.  
2. To counter this America would ship oil/gas to Europe, thus shooting current $92 oil per barrel prices over the $100 dollar mark.  Record high gasoline prices into Midterm Elections would guarantee the Republicans run the table.  That could lead to Biden impeachment. 
3. Cutting Russia off Swift would push Russia further into China's arms.  This would endanger the American dollar.  What would happen if China's currency challenges or replaces the Dollar as the World Currency?  It would drive American inflation thru the roof.  Historically America has remained immune to runaway inflation because the Dollar is the World's currency of choice.  To trade oil, countries are forced to purchase dollars.  America cannot afford a China threat to the Dollar. 

I predict that Biden will not use the SWIFT sanction against Russia.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 05 2022 at 11:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 16:23
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 07:54
Everything happening on both sides right now is just posturing and sabre-rattling.

If war is imminent, there were be some clear signs from the Russians (which don't currently exist). I'm paraphrasing an article written by Kyle Mizokami who does extensive writing on military matters for dozens of news sources, and given my own background, this seems to make sense...

Fuel and ammo stockpiles: There are lots of Russian troops and vehicles, but no munitions dumps or fuel depots. You can't wage war without either.

Cyber warfare: A successful campaign will require Russia to strike at the command and control infrastructure with cyber attacks to disrupt their ability to see what's going on or to coordinate their own activity. Hacking, trojans, denial-of-service attacks will all be on the rise.

GPS jamming and spoofing: Russia can (and will) take away Ukraine's ability to navigate (while using their own nav constellation, GLONASS).

Electronic warfare: Russian EW aircraft will be patrolling the border to gain intel on Ukranian defense radar emplacements, and to eventually deny their use to fight off an incursion.

Social media blackout: The Russians will disable FB, Twitter, etc. to prevent blabber-mouths from spilling the beans about an imminent attack.

Reconnaissance: Russian versions of AWACS will be patrolling the skies, as will drone aircraft, as a key part of their C4ISR plan.

So, until you see stockpiles of ammo and fuel, activity from reconnaissance, EW, and drone aircraft, information control (through cyber, blackouts, or EW denial) -- an attack is probably not forthcoming. Once you see these activities... worry.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 11:29
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Everything happening on both sides right now is just posturing and sabre-rattling.

If war is imminent, there were be some clear signs from the Russians (which don't currently exist). I'm paraphrasing an article written by Kyle Mizokami who does extensive writing on military matters for dozens of news sources, and given my own background, this seems to make sense...

Fuel and ammo stockpiles: There are lots of Russian troops and vehicles, but no munitions dumps or fuel depots. You can't wage war without either.

Cyber warfare: A successful campaign will require Russia to strike at the command and control infrastructure with cyber attacks to disrupt their ability to see what's going on or to coordinate their own activity. Hacking, trojans, denial-of-service attacks will all be on the rise.

GPS jamming and spoofing: Russia can (and will) take away Ukraine's ability to navigate (while using their own nav constellation, GLONASS).

Electronic warfare: Russian EW aircraft will be patrolling the border to gain intel on Ukranian defense radar emplacements, and to eventually deny their use to fight off an incursion.

Social media blackout: The Russians will disable FB, Twitter, etc. to prevent blabber-mouths from spilling the beans about an imminent attack.

Reconnaissance: Russian versions of AWACS will be patrolling the skies, as will drone aircraft, as a key part of their C4ISR plan.

So, until you see stockpiles of ammo and fuel, activity from reconnaissance, EW, and drone aircraft, information control (through cyber, blackouts, or EW denial) -- an attack is probably not forthcoming. Once you see these activities... worry.

Thank you for such a technically correct analysis (or should I say synthesis?) ! 

However, again, as the inhabitant of Ukraine, as the man who went through different stages of ideological leanings'n'teachings, I may say that I see no threat of invasion, no possibility of invasion, at all. 

Thanks to post-Euromaidan Ukrainian narrative for the outer world, the world outside of the former USSR used to have this view that Ukrainians under Russian rule were like African or Asian slaves from the colonies of the Western countries. Well, Ukrainians were rather like Scots under English rule... There's always a certain level of unpredictability and overall weirdness in what Russia is doing - but not that much as to say about a nonsensical invasion in Ukraine. It simply doesn't feel like that if you're say it set on the Russian wavelength. 

One may ask, did it feel otherwise when Russia annexed the Crimea? Yes, it felt otherwise. At the time of powerlessness where the pro-Russian power was effectively ousted and the forces that won in the protests were radically pro-European-Union/pro-American, it was reasonable to expect that some force from outside would try to recover the balance. Every previous political leadership in Ukraine did its best to keep the balance. The balance was lethally damaged - it was expected something would happen. The most anti-NATO/anti-EU/pro-Russian/pro-Soviet region of Ukraine (was) joined (to) Russia. Now when the balance is still out of green zone's range, it is not in the red zone either. There's an established power, everything is working properly, state institutions are functioning, democracy in one or another form is more or less present. After all, I can easily write to you all this stuff, criticizing the situation. It's a very different situation than what we had in 2014. 

The Russian leadership understands it, as well. They have the same post-Soviet East Slavic brains. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 15:03
An almost unbiased view on the problem, oddly coming from the late night shows: 

Edited by Woon Deadn - February 06 2022 at 15:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 05:34
American news organization Bloomberg jumps the gun. Publishes article: Russia Invades Ukraine. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/bloomberg-apologizes-russia-invades-ukraine-story-headline-2022-2

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 07 2022 at 05:38
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 07:46

American news organization Bloomberg jumps the gun. Publishes article: Russia Invades Ukraine. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/bloomberg-apologizes-russia-invades-ukraine-story-headline-2022-2
No sense in waiting until the last minute. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 38>