Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRussia/Ukraine tensions - Any concern?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 38>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 21:40
I think it's fair to say that ALL human systems have failed for the most part but when it comes to comparing different -isms, i have to go with who has produced the most prog!

[&amp;#8203;IMG]

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 23:17
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ Sure, there are those that miss communism, but by and large, the soviet empire was not a good thing for Eastern Europe. Talk to people who endured those times, they can tell you. How many people in Eastern Europe would want the soviets controlling their country again? Not very many.

Sure but nobody wants a few corporations controlling so much of our lives either. We now see that wokeism and cancel culture can also be used to suppress speech while keeping it completely out of the purview of the First Amendment. Which only suggests powerlessness on the part of elected govts to do anything to resist corporations...well, the corporations that contribute massively to their election campaigns. The capitalist-democratic system is terribly corrupted too and the response to 2008 shows clearly that govts only lean on the side of what the corporates want, not what the electorate wants. And it's easy to use social media to fuel polarisation to a point where you can completely confuse the picture as to what the electorate wants and thus reduce it to a stalemate.

So I don't see how people can be terribly happy with capitalist democracy either unless they buy into propaganda in a fashion bot entirely dissimilar to Soviet propaganda. The truth is we are just stuck with what is called capitalist realism. Capitalism sucks but there is no alternative. But pre-91, there was at least an alternative so there was at least an incentive for corporations and politicians to serve the people at least occasionally. Now they have us by the balls.

Edited by rogerthat - December 07 2021 at 23:18
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 23:19
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^ People not being out and about because of crime could also apply to parts of the US. I do live in the murder capital of the US and there are some neighborhoods that you do not wander about at night, but comparing that to soviet Germany is like comparing apples and oranges.
Why was no one out at 8 pm in soviet Germany, why was nothing open? Maybe everyone was at home dreaming of great communist utopia.

That's East Germany and not Russia or Ukraine. This has been pointed out to you already. So if you would rather go by your experience in East Germany than what people living in Ukraine say, then oh well, gonna leave it there.

In former Warsaw Block, Eastern Germany was kind of a "wet dream", their life standard was highest, even young KGB spy Putin succeeded to move there for buying his first car, the "Lada".

Both Russia and Ukraine were way different - corruption, empty shops' shelves, thousands of drunk workers returning back home after shift from their factories.
Speaking about mid 80s - absolute system decay (because of dramatically low oil export prices, mane engine of SU economics). Indifferent people, no-future mentality, even no-today...

Main Westerners problem is they somehow counting Russia as European country what it is not and never was.   True, their educated elite is strongly Europe-influenced, at least for last two hundred years, but the rest of population (i.i. more than 100 mln)are not much different mentally from their Chinggis Khan era ancestors. They are still living in Great Empire, believing that one day really GOOD Tsar (or Khan, you chose) will come and their life will become much better. Them are waiting for detailed instructions from their authorities how to live, and expecting to get some bread and butter as a compensation for loyalty.

Because of my current job, I am interviewing face to face hundreds of people who just came to Europe from Central Asia (yes, current illegal migrants). You can't imagine what just regular Kurd or Iraqi Yazidi thinks how the world is turning on. Russia's mentality is right in the middle between them and Europe.

Westerners repeat same mistakes again and again trying to export democracy to the worlds, which are organized at absolutely different basis (Iraq, Afghanistan, etc, etc) Central Asian mentality is a way different and wouldn't change soon or ever. To understand what Russian thinks or will do, one need to start with understanding how "Eurasia" works

Edited by snobb - December 07 2021 at 23:21
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 02:18
Hi Rogerthat, I think you misunderstand me. I'm not debating capitalism vs communism, nor would I deny the corruption in modern capitalist countries.
I'm just saying that most East Europeans did not like being ruled by the invading Soviets. No one likes living under martial law, at least no one I've ever met.

I was curious, did you ever get to visit a soviet country or do you know personally anyone from a soviet bloc country. I'm not talking about people on the internet, but real friends, people you make eye contact with, shake hands with, have sexual relations with, whatever. What is your info on life in a soviet bloc country based on?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 02:18
and the really bad guy is..... 

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 02:26

Hi Rogerthat, I think you misunderstand me. I'm not debating capitalism vs communism, nor would I deny the corruption in modern capitalist countries.
I'm just saying that most East Europeans did not like being ruled by the invading Soviets. No one likes living under martial law, at least no one I've ever met.

I was curious, did you ever get to visit a soviet country or do you know personally anyone from a soviet bloc country. I'm not talking about people on the internet, but real friends, people you make eye contact with, shake hands with, have sexual relations with, whatever. What is your info on life in a soviet bloc country based on?

My father did a lot of business with Russia for many years so I have heard accounts of what Russians think from him. I don't think trading rule by a totalitarian govt for rule by mafia is a great bargain. I also never said people want Soviet rule back so you either misunderstand or misconstrue me. I am saying something similar to what Wood Deadn said. That there are reasons why the state of Russia today would make people reflect fondly on Soviet rule. And those reasons are not reducible to presence or absence of nightlife.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 02:48
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

and the really bad guy is..... 

LOLLOLLOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 02:50
Okay Roger, I was talking about people who were raised in soviet bloc countries and the stories they tell about martial law, disappearing relatives, empty store shelves etc.

As far as Russians go, I've known quite a few Russians, once more part of the territory when you are a music teacher. I used to teach in San Francisco and there is a very large Russian community there. Russians are a unique bunch and I would not try to speak for them, if you know some Russians who preferred the USSR, then I wouldn't argue with that, and I wouldn't be surprised much, although most Russians I know in the states wanted to get away from the USSR. On the other hand, I have Russian friends who tell me about relatives back home who love Putin and the old days.
But this is not the same as living in an eastern bloc country. As I already mentioned, I've never met anyone who thinks living under martial law is preferable. If you want to read about martial law in Eastern bloc countries, just google it and you can see the pictures of soviet tanks rumbling down main street.

Edited by Easy Money - December 08 2021 at 03:03
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:08

Okay Roger, I was talking about people who were raised in soviet bloc countries and the stories they tell about martial law, disappearing relatives, empty store shelves etc.

As far as Russians go, I've known quite a few Russians, once more part of the territory when you are a music teacher. I used to teach in San Francisco and there is a very large Russian community there. Russians are a unique bunch and I would not try to speak for them, if you know some Russians who preferred the USSR, then I wouldn't argue with that, and I wouldn't be surprised much, although most Russians I know in the states wanted to get away from the USSR. On the other hand, I have Russian friends who tell me about relatives back home who love Putin and the old days.
But this is not the same as living in an eastern bloc country. As I already mentioned, I've never met anyone who thinks living under martial law is preferable.

I have already said before that I wasn't talking about the experience in the Eastern Bloc but in Russia itself. Countries like Poland or Czech Republic have done well after the breakup of the USSR. Russia as such hasn't. It has stabilized under Putin but the Yeltsin years were disastrous. This is what I had said too in my first post on this topic. That Putin enjoys a lot of support precisely because of the chaos of the 90s. And Putin himself said something to the effect that the collapse of the USSR was the greatest geopolitical tragedy of the 20th century but that only a fool would want it back. That sums it up well. I will add here that along the lines of what snobb said, in the Central Asian region, an authoritarian regime is seen as the norm and not as a horrible aberration. So the notion of a govt that provides enough for people to get by but points guns at dissenters plays very differently there as compared to Europe.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:17
^ Okay, I would agree with a lot of that, but it seems earlier maybe you were downplaying the misery of living under the rule of an invading country that imposes martial law on its subjects and sends tanks down main street in a show of power.
I would highly suggest you seek first hand stories about life in Eastern Europe, because when I was young I had thought this was just US propaganda, I had to see it for myself, so I went there. A good source is the above mentioned Snobb (Slava), who can tell you what it was like and what he is concerned about today.

Edited by Easy Money - December 08 2021 at 03:23
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:24
Back to Ukraine, there in fact are two Ukraines in one nowadays. Being for centuries a part of Western Civilization (as part of Great Dutchy of Lithuania and later a part of Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth state), eastern part of it has been lost for Russian Empire. Western Ukraine stayed part of Europe till WWII (as Part of Austro-Hungarian Empire, Poland, etc). Eastern part experienced heavy russification, after WWII both parts stayed occupied by Russia as part of USSR.

Western Ukraine never accepted Eurasian occupation, Eastern Ukraine has been quite loyal, often pro-Russian. As post-Soviet state, Ukraine was a conglomerate of two quite different mentalities, that's the reason of many their problems. Still, after some last years, after Russian occupied Crimea and part of E.Ukraine, de facto they pushed bigger part of Ukrainians towards West, forming new pro-European nation. This way, Russian lost one of the very few friends in the worlds they ever had
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:29
^ Which part of Ukraine is your wife from? If you don't mind me asking.

Edited by Easy Money - December 08 2021 at 03:35
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:36
my wife is from Serbia :))))))
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:37

I visited East Germany in the early 80s and it was the most unhappy place i have ever seen, zero night life, zero anything except a bare existence and plenty of military parades for western tourists like myself.

I don't know whom you met but I know lots of people who lived in East Germany at the time (I'm writing as a West German who didn't live that far from the old border). It wasn't a happy time but nightlife they had for sure! And there's some of that nostagia for that time, too, that Woon Deadn has mentioned, maybe not as much as in Russia, but still.  

By the way, if you know German, some music of the time will tell you about it. There are even traced on some albums listed here, "Der eine und der andere" from Stern Meissen's Stundenschlag for example.

Edited by Lewian - December 08 2021 at 03:40
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:39
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

my wife is from Serbia :))))))
My bad, thinking of another friend apparently.   
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 03:43
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I visited East Germany in the early 80s and it was the most unhappy place i have ever seen, zero night life, zero anything except a bare existence and plenty of military parades for western tourists like myself.

I don't know whom you met but I know lots of people who lived in East Germany at the time (I'm writing as a West German who didn't live that far from the old border). It wasn't a happy time but nightlife they had for sure! And there's some of that nostagia for that time, too, that Woon Deadn has mentioned, maybe not as much as in Russia, but still. 

I was in East Berlin, summer of 1983. It was dead as a doorknob by 8 pm. From my high rise hotel room I could see the nightlife on the west side.
1983 was near the end of soviet martial law in many countries, so maybe they were still under some restrictions. I would also imagine things were stricter in East Berlin than other parts of the country.

Edited by Easy Money - December 08 2021 at 03:52
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 04:01

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I was in East Berlin, summer of 1983. It was dead as a doorknob by 8 pm. From my high rise hotel room I could see the nightlife on the west side.
1983 was near the end of soviet martial law in many countries, so maybe they were still under some restrictions. I would also imagine things were stricter in East Berlin than other parts of the country.

I used to live in Söke/Aydın which is about 15-20 kilometres from Kuşadası. It is also very close to Bodrum, İzmir, Çeşme etc. In Söke, when the sun is (about to be) down, you're like in an uncanny ghost town. Dangerous too. But, just some kilometres away, you can have all kinds of fun till the morning. I'm clueless about East Germany, but it could be similar there too.

I'm clueless about East Germany.

Edited by Shadowyzard - December 08 2021 at 04:04
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 04:26
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I am hoping that this is merely a case of Putin waving his Willy at the world. I am not overly confident that is the case, because if there is one thing which unites all despots is that they hate to lose face.

BTW, Hugues makes a very valid point regarding EU expansion and what is perceived to be encroaching on areas Russia traditionally regards as its own.

Yup, as the Occident, we need Moscow to remain master of Siberia. Because every year, there are a couple millions of Chinese emigrating to Yakutia and Kamchatka. Given the respective birth rate, we can fear that eastern Siberia will be Chinese in 50 years or so.  AFAIAC, having China setting a foothold in the Artic is totally inacceptable if only for Climate change reasons. 

Back to Ukraine, there in fact are two Ukraines in one nowadays. Being for centuries a part of Western Civilization (as part of Great Dutchy of Lithuania and later a part of Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth state), eastern part of it has been lost for Russian Empire. Western Ukraine stayed part of Europe till WWII (as Part of Austro-Hungarian Empire, Poland, etc). Eastern part experienced heavy russification, after WWII both parts stayed occupied by Russia as part of USSR.

Western Ukraine never accepted Eurasian occupation, Eastern Ukraine has been quite loyal, often pro-Russian. As post-Soviet state, Ukraine was a conglomerate of two quite different mentalities, that's the reason of many their problems. Still, after some last years, after Russian occupied Crimea and part of E.Ukraine, de facto they pushed bigger part of Ukrainians towards West, forming new pro-European nation. This way, Russian lost one of the very few friends in the worlds they ever had

Generally agreed (read my post of yesterday eveningWink).

But indeed, if Ukraine wants to get rid of the Eurasian plains (or more likely the people living there), than it should let it go. TBH, ever since the crisis was started by the EC, I've come to best solution is that the Ukrainian North-west should let go the Russian south-east (which incorporates Crimea in the south. This could appease the area (not likely, though), but if Ukraine still wants Nato or the EC, it won't do...... Unless the EC & Nato strike a deal or partnership with Moscow.

I've always perceived Ukrainians (well those that are not my cleaning ladies)LOL as those savages living in western wooded hills and creating pogroms well before it happened in other lands and modernized by the Nazis. If the Ukrainian nationalist are claiming the Austro-Hungarian heritage, then I suspect that it's because the "purification" after WW2 didn't happen in the area. 

BTW, my sister-in-law is half Russian (her uncle was a star dancer in the Bolshoi) , half Moldavian/Romanian from the Bessarabia region (now halfway in Ukraine) and she largely agrees with me. But most of her Russian family now live in Canada or Bavaria

Edited by Sean Trane - December 08 2021 at 04:28
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 04:47

Sir, whether it's unjust or whatever, being small is always unproductive in our world - when smb/smth is small, its/his/her/their fate is always decided by somebody/somebuddies else. Fine, when it's good parents. In case of countries, there are no parents, have never been. Russia, Ukraine, Belarus are big enough countries to digest the repressions, digest millions of killed and imprisoned, forgive or even forget them (or not forgive and not forget but still move on) and go further. Small countries like three Baltic ones or say it, the western provinces of Ukraine (that used to hold an isolated microcosmic life within their own ethnic minority group for centuries) are simply not able to forget that, they are too small to move on, or too proud to move on, or both for that matter. When you are not going to move on, there's no need to look up to the skies to find the highest meanings of what's happened and what is goin' to happen. When you are offended over the top, you look for no reasons, no explanations, you don't notice the details, the shades of senses, the shades of sense. It's just one big trauma that makes you blind. Though there's a masochistic comfort in such a state, such state is fruitless and senseless. 

You say about russified Eastern Ukraine. OK, let's talk about independence movement in Provence! Do you know that this region in France was also very freedom-loving, they differed from other French regions quite enough to be considered a distinct entity on the world map. But somehow they were included, assimilated, became the part of France. Hundreds of languages disappeared in the history of humankind. Because some state projects happened to be more useful, more powerful than the others. More passionate and more unified state projects ate the weaker and less unified ones up. This is life. Who planned and gave orders to build Ukrainian cities like Kharkiv, Odessa, Dnipro(petrovsk)? It was Russian Empire! Those who planned, designed, gave money, gave orders - those people reasonably brought their language with them and planted it as the language of the people in power. Villages were Ukrainian-speaking and they mostly still are, even in the Eastern Ukraine. But you can't build a modern civilised country based on village people. You have to urbanise. Urbanisation in the eastern Ukraine was held by Russian Empire and then the Soviet Union. What you'd expect then? If the Russians build you cities, they bring you their language. It is legitimate, I think. 
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 05:58
yeh, Brits urbanized India, where they are now? True, Indians still speak English o:)

the difference between British Empire and Russian Empire is mainly Brits bring to India Western civilization - technologies, industry, common organization. And they left in time when understood that India is no more their colony...

what Russian Empire gave to colonized Ukraine - Golodomor (death of few millions Ukrainians from hunger because Russian occupants took the foodstuff from Ukraine to Russia to support their own population), corruption (which is biggest problem in Ukraine till now), Eurasian culture of spiting on the streets and throwing garbage right where you are, alcoholism? And they still can't forgive that Ukraine don't want to be and Eurasian colony anymore?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 38>