Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRussia/Ukraine tensions - Any concern?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 38>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 02:23
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

If anyone replying to this thread believes that the USSR / modern day Russia is somehow a bogeyman state and that their own country represents the pinnacle of social paradise, freedom and equality, with the poorest members, old and disadvantaged adequately cared for by the philanthropy of the rich.........

...... they are idiots. 

Everywhere is pretty much the same, only the lies are different. 

Everywhere is pretty much the same, huh? I suppose you'd be happy living in Somalia, Iraq, Honduras or Afghanistan then. Go for it dude! Love to see how long you'd last LOL

Great examples, all countries which America has f*cked over.

Fabulous irony when you consider this is about Russia invading Ukraine. ;-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - December 22 2021 at 02:48

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 02:36
Originally posted by Woon Deadn Woon Deadn wrote:

To understand Russia.

Russia is gigantic. Since early days, when the capital of Russia was actually in Kiev (now Kyiv, in Ukraine), Russia was a collection of uncontrollable fiefdoms. Local leaders could do what they wanted, the capital was a long way away and everything could be obscured, obfuscated or just ignored. Same attitude existed for centuries. 

There have been certain historical figures such as Yuri Dolgorukiy ("George the long handed") who could control various outposts of the empire. One of the most effective Tsars was Ivan IV - "Ivan the terrible". 

As an example, when it was suspected that the city of Novgorod was going to defect to Poland / Lithuania, Ivan had the city's inhabitants massacred. I seem to recall large numbers were tied to rafts and pushed into the frozen river. 

Monster, you may think, but Ivan was regarded as a strong leader who could control large swathes of Russia. 

The same thing happens with Stalin. Stalin, 400 years later, is a fairly dull "grey eminence" or nonentity of a man. He doesn't really have a personality other than that which he's learnt from Russian history, so he impersonates - amongst other people - Ivan IV. "This is how a Tsar behaves". You can count in his adoption of policies such as banishing prisoners to far flung parts of Russia and also having a large secretive police force.... that's how it's done, that's how it's always been done. The Tsars before him had similar systems in place.

Then along comes Putin and........... it's exactly the same, it will always be the same, Russia will never fundamentally change, not with even another revolution, which will never happen. 

That's what Russia is. 

Though, I must add, things got better a bit. Ivan IV went over the limits with his theatrical inventiveness in killing and torturing people that were not guilty of anything. Stalin definitely saw himself as another Ivan IV, though for the most part he at least pretended to punish those who were guilty of something. But Putin, I think, rather sees himself as a combination of Vladimir the Great, Alexander Nevsky, Peter the Great, Catherine the Great and some of the later ones like Nicholas I or Alexander III. Indeed, the odd yet evident triad of Vladimir the Great - Vladimir Lenin - Vladimir Putin comes to mind to everyone who knows Russian history. 

Putin would hardly like to torture or kill an occasional person who just, you know, he saw from the window of his car or something like that. Stalin imprisoned even his closest ones, the wife of Molotov was imprisoned for a long time. I don't think that Putin would like the idea to send into prison a wife of Dmitry Peskov or Sergey Lavrov or Dmitry Medvedev - just in case. Times change. Slowly, but unidirectionally. 

To me it is also clear that certainly Putin and his team are not Communists in the leastest least possible. They have some nostalgia - like many of their compatriots. But they certainly do not want to return to it. Also, I don't think they want a pain in their arses in the form of depressive, poor Central Asian countries or ever-anti-Russian Baltic countries. They probably want to incorporate most of Ukraine, whole or most of Belarus. Certainly, they do not have any plans about having Norway or Finland or Poland. 

I see very clearly that the people in this thread from the former or present day empires of some kind usually look at the question in a more relaxed way. Those who are from the smaller or simply small non-imperial countries usually feel nervous. That's pretty expectable and normal. If somebody was insulted by my former parallels of small countries being small dogs, I may say that the imperial ones may be compared to large breeds of dogs then. I personally am fond of ligers. All ligers that I watched on YT were thoroughly relaxed... Usual pet cats are much more nervous. If you are from the UK you see the picture more chillingly than if you are living in the Netherlands. That's normal.

Yep, I think that's absolutely true about Putin and also about the fact that he and his apparatchiks are nothing to do with Communism at all. Really, I see him as being a new form of Tsar, with all the same mistakes as all the old Tsars before him (although perhaps there will be no mass starvations this time.)

I hadn't thought about pan Slavism operating in a way to avoid the Baltic states, and it's certainly not going to involve any of the -stans (although perhaps Kazakhstan would be useful) - but it's in the pro-Moscow circle enough. Georgia, to an extent, the same thing. So - no point expanding East, the -stans are useless, Afghanistan is still a no (and always will be) - more trouble than it's worth - you can't really go into the Baltic states without starting a war, Belarus is in your pocket anyway.......

..... that leaves one place to go. ;-) Western Ukraine. 

Of course, it's really just a minor land grab, as far as Putin is concerned. A bit of a popularity boost. No protracted conflict, the public won't stand for it - not another Chechnya or Afghanistan, in, seize a bit of land, look popular on the news.... show the public that Russia cannot be "humiliated by the West" - which ia another facet of this......

... but unfortunately, the Ukrainian Army isn't as unprepared as it was in 2014 and the sanctions will be enormous. 

So it's all becoming "not as simple as first thought" and backing down now is an even bigger loss of face to the West. I should also expect that it'll eventually turn Ukraine to becoming full members of NATO. 

So, not the wisest thing Uncle Vlad has ever done, but you don't have to be wise to rule Russia, as history so often shows. ;-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 02:51

So yes, Silly Puppy, on the basis of the above, everywhere is pretty much the same insofar as every nation on Earth throughout recorded history works on the same basis and always will. The lot you receive varies, that's all. 

Yes yes blah blah but nations are service corporations masquerading as governments. Not everyone is a citizen or employee of such and exist outside of the jurisdictions of so-called nation states. Nation states are without exception based on Maritime Admiralty Law aka statutory law aka contractual law. Every woe that earthlings experience is primarily based on these contractual systems. It is not only possible to escape said jurisdiction but to flourish despite of it all. The beast gains its power through the implied consent of nobody challenging these jurisdictions. In short, the world is enslaved by pure ignorance as to these distinctions. Nation states are basically grand experiments by those who control behind the scenes in order to figure out how to implement a global system that enslaves us all. History may be filled with the same old, same old but that doesn't mean we collectively cannot change that which has been keeping every place the same as you call it.

"Nation states are without exception based on Maritime Admiralty Law aka statutory law aka contractual law"

Nope. Nation states are without exception based on who can get away with being in charge and screwing everyone over. The law is determined by these individuals to suit them. Not that they follow it by anything other than lip service. 

Which you actually agree with later in your post. As for changing it, name me one successful revolution which bettered the lot of the common man - any revolution is merely a change of staff. 

I can't work out whether or not you're actually agreeing with me or not on "who actually controls a State", but since most nation states were formed way before Maritime Law was, perhaps you'd like to reconsider that statement.

Edited by Davesax1965 - December 22 2021 at 02:59

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 03:04
Just out of curiosity, not because I'd have any clear opinion about this: You really think Russian  engagement in Western Ukraine brings Putin a popularity boost? Why should ordinary Russians be bothered? What do they win from conflict there? (The argument is probably something like Russian pride, demonstrating that we're great and strong etc... I doubt that this plays a role in many daily lives though.)

Edited by Lewian - December 22 2021 at 04:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 03:16
It's Pan Slavism, Lewian. "The Empire recovered, unity with our brothers in Ukraine, victory over the wicked elements who are persecuting Russians there" as Putin stated before. 

Russia, as a nation, can't stand "not being great", The refusal to admit that they're perhaps not a paradise ruled by correct leaders can be seen in tons of examples, from Chernobyl to the Kursk disaster. It's "wave the pan Slavic flag" - which is partially down to why they invaded Crimea (the other reason being partially economic.) 

Average Russian loves this - there's a strong element of "Mi luchshiye" - "we are the best".  You're right, it won't make much of a difference to the average Russian, but it's all about perception of Russia... and Putin. Which is probably much the same thing, nowadays. 

For a parallel, Margaret Snatcher, Falklands, 1982. Although that was a bit clearer cut, old Ma Thatcher virtually secured herself another term by "sending a gunboat". 

How we Brits benefitted from 200,000 penguins becoming British again after a temporary change of nationality was never quite made clear. It *was* a bit more justified than the current situation in Ukraine, but..... 

Edited by Davesax1965 - December 22 2021 at 03:23

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 04:10
That makes some sense, but I think more to distract from other issues - again, do you think Thatcher got many people behind her because they cared about the Falklands? Or was it rather that blaming somebody else (the Argentinians) for something so that people would complain about their lives less?

My grandparents (who were in politically rather divers positions) all told me that Hitler, despite never having achieved 50% or more in a free election, became very popular in ultimately large parts of German society, but pretty much nobody wanted war, and this in fact lost him popularity - not that he needed to care at the time. I have heard such things from other countries, too. Nationalist rhetoric yes, actually being asked for sacrifices and being killed for the glorious nation: Not so much. (I guess the penguins didn't seem that much of a threat to the British lives. Wink)

Which would support the idea that Putin may want to talk the talk, but actually not want to do war, at least if we believe in his rationality (I'll rate him above Hitler in that department for sure - I mean Hitler wasn't stupid, but impulsive, and could be very irrational at times).

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 08:12

How we Brits benefitted from 200,000 penguins becoming British again after a temporary change of nationality was never quite made clear. It *was* a bit more justified than the current situation in Ukraine, but..... 

Hi,

Ohhhh c'mon ... it was a "war" they couldn't possibly lose! Gotta show its might, even if just an exercise!

(Couldn't help it!)(I imagine that Spike Milligan would say that same thing!)

Smile
LOL
Sleepy
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 08:45
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I have heard such things from other countries, too. Nationalist rhetoric yes, actually being asked for sacrifices and being killed for the glorious nation: Not so much.
Thats pretty much the US in a nutshell. I have seen it many times. The government bangs the drums of nationalism and the public gets all macho and ready to fight, but when their sons and daughters start coming home in body bags they back off very quickly. This cycle is very predictable by now.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 09:39

So yes, Silly Puppy, on the basis of the above, everywhere is pretty much the same insofar as every nation on Earth throughout recorded history works on the same basis and always will. The lot you receive varies, that's all. 

Yes yes blah blah but nations are service corporations masquerading as governments. Not everyone is a citizen or employee of such and exist outside of the jurisdictions of so-called nation states. Nation states are without exception based on Maritime Admiralty Law aka statutory law aka contractual law. Every woe that earthlings experience is primarily based on these contractual systems. It is not only possible to escape said jurisdiction but to flourish despite of it all. The beast gains its power through the implied consent of nobody challenging these jurisdictions. In short, the world is enslaved by pure ignorance as to these distinctions. Nation states are basically grand experiments by those who control behind the scenes in order to figure out how to implement a global system that enslaves us all. History may be filled with the same old, same old but that doesn't mean we collectively cannot change that which has been keeping every place the same as you call it.

"Nation states are without exception based on Maritime Admiralty Law aka statutory law aka contractual law"

Nope. Nation states are without exception based on who can get away with being in charge and screwing everyone over. The law is determined by these individuals to suit them. Not that they follow it by anything other than lip service. 

Which you actually agree with later in your post. As for changing it, name me one successful revolution which bettered the lot of the common man - any revolution is merely a change of staff. 

I can't work out whether or not you're actually agreeing with me or not on "who actually controls a State", but since most nation states were formed way before Maritime Law was, perhaps you'd like to reconsider that statement.

Everything you say here is wrong but it's way too complex to get into.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 11:05
I sure may be wrong, but I firmly believe and know and think that the last time Russia wanted to invade some European or American country it was before World War 2. There was, for example, a Soviet movie The Great Citizen that in fact offered an idealised biography of Sergey Kirov (the Party leader whose death officially caused the Great Purge of 1937-38) filmed in 1938. There was a scene in the movie where the protagonist talked to the big audience telling them that "after a good war, in say it 20 years or so the USSR would consist of 30-40 republics" (instead of 10+ ones existing at the time of the speech)... Later on, the scene would be cut from the movie forever... Here's that scene, without a translation, unfortunately. Even without a translation you can see how enthusiastic the audience was about the words of a good war...

Again, it was the 1930s and it was middle Stalin era. I can repeat my words of the foreigners' inertia of thinking. The Khrushchev USSR was different from the pre-WW2 USSR, Brezhnev era was even more different. In the average foreigner's mind it's all one neverending Gulag up until Perestroika. 

Again, some of the foreign people in this thread probably underestimate the effect of Euromaidan... I remember my any not only my feelings of that time. It was the complete destruction of statehood, I remember how some people were in a hurry to take all their deposits from banks suspecting the peaceful protesters would peacefully rob the banks... The Ukrainian state no longer existed for like a week or two. Thank God, it is Europe XXI century and everything ended pretty well, mostly. But nobody could really predict that at the time! You mention similar cases of annexations etc, Mirakaze mentioned Sudetenland at least twice... Probably not all of the people in this thread realize that Ukraine pretty much ceased to exist for a week or two if not more in 2014. Nobody knew what to expect. In such a situation it is too hard to say whether somebody stole something or simply "fought for the better life of the people". Look, Yanukovych had a large collection of expensive cars. What happened to the collection? As far as I know, the cars were expropriated by the protesters who certainly never returned them. Basically it is called robbery, theft. What is acceptable and what is not acceptable to expropriate then? If there is no law, there is no law for anybody. The page is clear and the history is only beginning then. Russia also did not feel like it had to comply with the previous agreements on Ukraine, with Ukraine then. Because, technically, in reality, in fact, there was no Ukraine anymore in spring 2014. Blank page. 

By the way, knowing what's happened in Ukraine in 2014, you can easily understand the brutality of Belarusian policemen not so long ago... Not agree with them, but understand their motivation! 

Also, I think many foreigners do not understand that the Russian/Ukrainian ethnic division used to be very vague in most cases. For good example, when my mother was born in the 1950s in the Soviet Ukraine, her mother insisted that her daughter's ethnicity be marked in the birth certificate as Russian, for her mother it signified a better, privileged future of the daughter. It means, according to official documents (birth certificate and later, passport) of the Soviet era, my mother (that has spent in Russia two or three days on tourist trips in her whole life) was Russian, her brother, father and mother and their parents were Ukrainians... That simple! 

My distant friend, once a colleague of mine, eventually went to Russia and married a Russian man in Saint Petersburg, Russia... My other distant friends who are choral singers, went to Russia several times to earn some decent money by singing in the monastery choir. Notice, that it all happened after 2014. One girl that I know, has a sister living in Moscow. The sister goes to Ukraine three-four times a year, sometimes that girl go to Moscow to visit her sister. I have no less than two elder relatives living in Russia. My grandfather born in a Ukrainian village several thousand miles away from Moscow, defended Moscow from the Nazi bombers in the anti-aircraft unit in 1941. After the war he was offered a job in Moscow - but he wanted to live closer to his family, so he refused. Ukrainian singers go to Moscow constantly. My classmate went to Saint-Petersburg in the mid-2000s, married there a local man, they are living there. The lists of Russian relatives, sweethearts, parents, children, friends of Ukrainians may be infinite. Unless, of course, you are from the westernmost parts of Ukraine where such lists may be empty... 

It is next to impossible to draw a direct line between modern day Russians and Ukrainians, that is. Other than the citizenship one. Sure, drawing a line between a native Lithuanian/Latvian/Estonian and Russian is more than possible. 
For good example, the writing team of the only Russian Stephen-Colbert-style evening TV show "Evening Urgant" includes 5 men from Odessa, Ukraine... I don't think they feel there in Russia at the state-controlled TV Channel 1 like they're not at home... Given that, I don't think any WW2 or pre-WW2 parallels fit here well. 

Edited by Woon Deadn - December 22 2021 at 11:06
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 03:00
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Ohhhh c'mon ... it was a "war" they couldn't possibly lose! Gotta show its might, even if just an exercise!

(Couldn't help it!)(I imagine that Spike Milligan would say that same thing!)

Smile
LOL
Sleepy

Oh, the Falklands certainly was a war which could have easily been lost. ;-) 

Other side of the world, massive supply problems - look at the Black Buck raids by Vulcan bombers on airfields..... massive logistical issues. 

There's a story which was D Noticed (censored) for years in the UK press. At the start of the campaign, ships were being damaged by French made Exocet missiles. Margaret Thatcher rang Francois Mitterand and demanded the IFF codes for the missiles - to effectively disarm them in flight if launched. Mitterand initially refused.... then.... Thatcher mentioned that she intended to use sub launched nuclear weapons on airstrips on the Argentinian mainland to take out the Exocet threat if she didn't get the codes. 

Wooooo.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 03:05
Woon Deadn - Soviet joke. 

Stalin, Krushchev and Brezhnev are on a train. The train stops moving. 

"Outrageous, sabotage ! " says Stalin. I'll fix this. 

He storms out of the carriage, and comes back five minutes later. "I don't understand it. I have the driver shot. I have the fireman shot. I have all the guards shot. The train doesn't move."

"Old thinking" says Krushchev. "I'll fix it." Off he goes. He comes back five minutes later, looking puzzled. "I have the driver committed to a mental institution. I have all the train guards confined under house arrest. The train doesn't move."

"Ahhh" says Brezhnev. He stands up and closes the curtain in the carriage. "I've fixed everything, " he says, "We just pretend the train is moving."

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 03:36
In 1989, in Heinrich Honecker's president office in East Berlin, he works at 8 AM, but at 9:30, he steps out on the balcony and looks east and says "Good Morning Sun".
The Sun answers "Good Morning Heinrich."
Amazed at the fact that the sun spoke back to him, he heads back to the office and works like a beast until lunch time.

After  lunch before going back to work; he goes to the balcony and tries again; "Good afternoon Sun"... to which the Sun answers "Good Afternoon Heinrich". Spellbinded Heinrich works like mad until 6PM, and before going home, he goes to the balcony and speaks to the Sun again: "Good Evening, Sun".
No answer... He tries again... and again silence.
After a couple more tries, he gets angry and yells "Why don't you answer me, Sun?"

The Sun turns around and says: Fùck you Heinrich, I'm in the West now!!"

Edited by Sean Trane - December 23 2021 at 04:24
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 03:48
Love it. ;-)

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 04:11
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

In 1989, in Heinrich Honecker's president office in East Berlin, he works at 8 AM, but at 9:30, he steps out on the balcony and loojks east and says "Good Morning Sun".
The Sun answers "Good Morning Heirich."
Amazed at the fact that the sun spoke to him, he heads back to the office and works like a beast until lunch time.

After  lunch before going back to work; he goes to the balcony and tries again; "Good afternoon Sun";Tto which the Sun answers "Good Afternoon Heinrich". Spellbinded Heinrich works like mad until 6PM, and before going home, he goes to the balcony and speaks to the Sun again: "Good Evening, Sun".
After a couple more tries, he gets angry and yells "Why don't you answer me, Sun?"

A Czech friend told me that one. It was doing the rounds in the communist block quite a lot in the 70's & 80's by all accounts. Although it was Breshnev, not Honecker. I guess each state had their own version.

Edited by Blacksword - December 23 2021 at 04:13
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 04:23
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

In 1989, in Heinrich Honecker's president office in East Berlin, he works at 8 AM, but at 9:30, he steps out on the balcony and loojks east and says "Good Morning Sun".
The Sun answers "Good Morning Heirich."
Amazed at the fact that the sun spoke to him, he heads back to the office and works like a beast until lunch time.

After  lunch before going back to work; he goes to the balcony and tries again; "Good afternoon Sun";Tto which the Sun answers "Good Afternoon Heinrich". Spellbinded Heinrich works like mad until 6PM, and before going home, he goes to the balcony and speaks to the Sun again: "Good Evening, Sun".

A Czech friend told me that one. It was doing the rounds in the communist block quite a lot in the 70's & 80's by all accounts. Although it was Breshnev, not Honecker. I guess each state had their own version.

Yeah, I got my version from the very poignant film Das Leben Der Andere.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 05:37

Woon Deadn - Soviet joke. 

Stalin, Krushchev and Brezhnev are on a train. The train stops moving. 

"Outrageous, sabotage ! " says Stalin. I'll fix this. 

He storms out of the carriage, and comes back five minutes later. "I don't understand it. I have the driver shot. I have the fireman shot. I have all the guards shot. The train doesn't move."

"Old thinking" says Krushchev. "I'll fix it." Off he goes. He comes back five minutes later, looking puzzled. "I have the driver committed to a mental institution. I have all the train guards confined under house arrest. The train doesn't move."

"Ahhh" says Brezhnev. He stands up and closes the curtain in the carriage. "I've fixed everything, " he says, "We just pretend the train is moving."

No doubt, for absolute majority of the former Soviet citizens, the USSR is equal to Brezhnev era. The joke correctly noticed that very important difference: Brezhnev was not a sadistic person, not in the least. Absolutely not! There is no evidence he somehow participated in Stalin' repressions - unlike Khrushchev who of course was a member of the close Stalin's circle. Brezhnev could fire the driver and the train guards, but not set them on fire. Among other things, it is clear now that during Brezhnev era it became sort of bad taste to directly mock at the Russian Orthodox Christianity in public, on TV, in mass media. If some people of art did that, it rather looked like an exception. In the 1970s the Whites, enemies of the Reds (that is, the Bolsheviks) in times of post-1917 Russian Civil war, were somehow uhm humanised in the mass media, in the movies. They still were considered enemies, but now they slowly transformed in the official ideological narrative from cunning ruthless ones to naive fools that loved their dear Russia in their premature manner, which didn't excuse them for sure - but still made them comically domestic, not bloodthirsty strangers in a strange land. In Brezhnev era even the Nazis in the Soviet movies started being portrayed as real people, sometimes talented and strong - not the frightened clowns that speak in a fractured sorta-Russian language. 

Brezhnev era brought a lot of adequacy to the Soviet life. Some additional inadequacy, as wellBig smile especially in his last years but that was not a Stalin's kind of inadequacy... Nor a hysterical napoleonic Khrushchev's kind. If Lenin was a god, Stalin was a demon, Khrushchev was a crazy old uncle, Brezhnev was rather a grandfather. Not so for Czechs and other nations outside, I understand. In the USSR he was rather a grandfather... Poorly-educated, narrow-minded - yet rather a grandfather... Not a god, not a demon, not a hysterical person, not a psycho. 

Edited by Woon Deadn - December 23 2021 at 05:39
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2021 at 11:12
To help foreigners understand the Russia-Ukraine dividing line (or rather its absence), I must tell you that the first post-Euromaidan President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko owned a confectionery factory in Russia and sold it only before the next Presidential elections in 2019 which he lost nevertheless. Which means the President of Ukraine yelled all around the world that the Russian power gives money to the Russian military that fights Ukraine, while his factory in Russia paid taxes to the Russian power thus financing the Russian military... 

The Ukrainian TV comedy show and the respective troupe Dizel Show made several notable anti-Russian sketches. Funny enough, eventually they started selling their episodes to Russia, now their show is broadcasted on Russian TV, as well as on Ukrainian TV... 

The next after Poroshenko, current Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, was the leader of another Ukrainian TV comedy show and the respective troupe, called 95th Kvartal. Those folks make comedy movies, among other media products. Although Mr. Zelensky as the President of Ukraine used to claim that Russia is an aggressor and that we have a Russian-Ukrainian war... his former colleagues sell their TV series and full feature movies for broadcasting in Russia! Including those where Mr. Zelensky was filmed before he became a President. 

Currently in the very center of Kiev there stands a "Theater Of Russian Drama". In their repertoire there are 58 plays, as of now: 55 in Russian language, 2 in Ukrainian, 1 bilingual. The son of the head of that theater is a millionaire that lives in Russia. The theater is financed from the state budget of Ukraine. 

Sure, these facts are not voiced loudly in the West. In the West it is said, there's a war between Ukraine and Russia. And nothing else.

Shocked

Edited by Woon Deadn - December 24 2021 at 11:12
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 17:01
I don't have an opinion on this (a first!) but I've really enjoyed reading the exchanges between DaveSax, Sean Trane, Lewian and Woon Deadb. Just superb stuff.

Edited by SteveG - December 30 2021 at 17:09
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 04:16
Thanks, Steve. ;-)

As Woon Deadn is best placed to tell you, it's really complicated stuff. We thought we had a mess with Northern Ireland and what we did in the Balkans, this is a real can of worms. 

We tend to think of Europe as one homologous mass, don't forget it's been the scene of warfare and land grabs since time immemorial. The Age of Empires meant that wars were fought by proxy in other countries as the great Empires seized land and resources from each other. Once Africa was effectively partitioned, the Germans essentially losing out, this leads eventually to WW1.

A good primer to understanding Europe (including Russia) is perhaps Eric Hobsbawm's "The Age of Empire", which I read nearly 30 years ago at University whilst doing a History degree. Anything by Hobsbawm is recommended, though he does get very left wing at times, rather than a neutral observer. 

It all turns out to be a bit of a mess. Centuries of wars in Europe have resulted in arbitrary borders being established, the result being that people of different ethnic groups and cultures have been left stranded in little islands here and there. Think of the Catalans, Sami, Basques, Bretons etc etc. Over here in the UK, and to an extent in the US, we get taught a very Anglicised history of the world.

People aren't aware of when sovereign states like Poland, Germany and Norway came into existence..... they're all fairly new. Modern Norway has, if I remember rightly, only had three kings. So the average Englishman is very unaware of history beyond what he was taught in school, which is a very narrow interpretation. 

Incidentally, one of the reasons why Americans are so prejudiced against the USSR and "socialism" is that the old USSR defaulted on all it's debts to two main creditors - the USA and France - after the revolution. A massive "anti" campaign was started in the US to discredit Russia, with, of course, a hiatus in the 40's as it was perceived to be easier to do trade with the USSR post war than Hitler's Germany, if the Nazis had overrun Europe. War always has an economic basis, no one would take the gamble otherwise.

What we're seeing in Ukraine is a bit different, there's not much of an economic basis there, but more a shoring up of national popularity for Putin. Unless you factor in that posturing to the West is going to result in a better economic landscape for Putin. It's like North Korea or Iran, make a big fuss, prod and poke, try and inflate a situation... for what reason ? To get more money and resources by concession and to appear bigger than you are. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - December 31 2021 at 04:41

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 38>