Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thank You Scientist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thank You Scientist
    Posted: December 07 2021 at 14:40
Thank You Scientist released their new EP a few days ago, and there has been no discussion whatsoever. Shame on you PA forum members. Embarrassed 13 ratings, 4.23 stars so far.

Here is a sample... What do you think? Anyone heard it, any fans out there?

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - December 07 2021 at 17:39
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 18:48
I like Thank You Scientist a fair bit, however I do think that they're a little one note with their music, as in a lot of it ends up sounding a bit samey. It could also be that I think their albums are a little too long and my attention drifts after a while. I think Terraformers a really solid album, however I think it would be an even more solid 50 minute album. Regardless of all that, the sound that band has is super unique to them and they own it, everything they've released to my ears is still good, this release included. I like this format of release from the band where it's nice and concise, but honestly this wasn't the biggest creative statement I was hoping for with that said. It kinda reaffirms how I already felt about the band. I do love the 2-minute opener Gigglebutton a lot, absurdly cool grooves across that track. Unfortunately, that's where the EP peaks for me. The rest is good, but I can't say it's anything we haven't heard between the last two albums.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - December 07 2021 at 18:48
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 19:11
Thanks for the reply, Doug. I hear what you're saying that their material sounds samey, but for me they have a truly original sound. And that's a good thing. If the music is smoking, like this EP, I don't care if it sounds like they are repeating themselves. I know you're a big fan of Wobbler. Safe to say that all their material sounds samey?

I can really think of only two artists who change their musical direction over time. Todd Rundgren and David Bowie.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - December 07 2021 at 19:18
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 05:19
I didn't know it was out! I will have a listen, I liked the last album.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 09:55
I have listened some to a few earlier albums, but mist agree that it sounds a bit samey from album to album.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 10:29
Sounds good to me!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 10:30
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

I have listened some to a few earlier albums, but mist agree that it sounds a bit samey from album to album.
OMG. Thanks for the reply. I see from your review page that you are a Wobbler fan also. Do you think their albums sound different? Not only do they sound samey, to me, but the music they write is very 70's - ish. Their last album sounded not only samey with themselves but also sounded like Yes and Gentle Giant. And what is wrong with sounding samey anyway? It your signature sound that no one else has. Every time I listen to Chick Corea, Alice Cooper, Steely Dan, Dream Theater, and countless others, it sounds samey but I love it.

What bands can you name that don't sound samey?
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 10:43
I like several of their songs and will eagerly check out the new EP but there is something about their music that sometimes rubs me the wrong way. Yes, there is a samey quality to it but you can say that about a lot of bands. I think my issue is that the music sounds very busy and kind of a jumble at times. It's almost as if they are trying to do too much with too many instruments. The sound is unique though. I can't argue with that.

I don't know if that makes any sense but that's the best way I can put it into words.

Edited by Jeffro - December 13 2021 at 05:54
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 11:11
^That makes sense, Jeffro. For me, the busiest music I've heard is the Cardiacs, and they sometimes rub me the wrong way. It's just my opinion and I know the Cardiacs are much loved here. 

Anyway, thanks for stating that a lot of bands sound samey and I hope you find something enjoyable on the new TYS EP. 
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 13:06
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

OMG. Thanks for the reply. I see from your review page that you are a Wobbler fan also. Do you think their albums sound different? Not only do they sound samey, to me, but the music they write is very 70's - ish. Their last album sounded not only samey with themselves but also sounded like Yes and Gentle Giant. And what is wrong with sounding samey anyway? It your signature sound that no one else has. Every time I listen to Chick Corea, Alice Cooper, Steely Dan, Dream Theater, and countless others, it sounds samey but I love it.

What bands can you name that don't sound samey?

I don’t know if I explain it better, but I’ll try. Maybe I like Wobbler better than TYS. Some bands are more prone for this to happen with than others. Maybe sounding the same is the wrong way to describe it. Perhaps I feel that way about bands that weren’t as interesting to me, even if I enjoyed some of their albums. In some cases I like a few albums, then don’t get excited about the rest if they stay in the same sonic vein. Leprous is another example. Listened a lot to some earlier albums and can still put them on, but the later ones didn’t bring that much new, and I lost interest. In other bands, I can keep listening and be excited about a lot more albums.

At the end of the day, it’s just my opinion. Some bands get into my hall of fame by being samey for decades, while others fail to stay in focus for being samey. Not much I can do about it, except perhaps to identify these cases and better explain to others how I feel. Thanks for making me take a few minutes to consider this.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 13:22
^Your welcome. Didn't mean to anger anyone in this thread. Only wanted to point out TYS had a new album out and get feedback. I think it's great while the majority say samey.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 05:44
The thing with Wobbler is that it's a bit easier on the ears. Thank You Scientist is not always easy on the ears. I like both bands but for different reasons.

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 06:49
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

The thing with Wobbler is that it's a bit easier on the ears. Thank You Scientist is not always easy on the ears. I like both bands but for different reasons.

Just the opposite for me. I like Wobbler, but when I hear their songs that always sound like they belong in 1974 (nothing new or original) it's meh and tiring to my ears.

Anyway, I get it now thanks to Zeph. If you like a band it's okay for them to sound samey. If you don't like or only tolerate a band it's bad to sound samey. "Sounds samey" is a nice way to say that band is not for you.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 07:25
I love Wobbler and Neal Morse so I'm cool with artists having a sound and sticking to it. 
Ramones, AC/DC and Kiss had pretty good careers recording and releasing the same album over and over...

Thank You Scientist are awesome. Not my cup of tea but they do what they do extremely well.
The Prog Corner
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 09:43
Good thing we got different tastes, which is the reason why music is so diverse.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 10:16
I wasn't aware of a new TYS.  I will need to check this out. Thumbs Up
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 11:02
I don't think Wobblers stuff sounds similar, at least not to a point where I can't really distinguish song from song, but it's a little bit of a strawman argument to bring that up. I still gave the EP a good 3.5 stars (rounded up to 4), I do hope they chose to keep working within a shorter format of album.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 11:06
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I love Wobbler and Neal Morse so I'm cool with artists having a sound and sticking to it. 
Ramones, AC/DC and Kiss had pretty good careers recording and releasing the same album over and over...

Thank You Scientist are awesome. Not my cup of tea but they do what they do extremely well.

I feel pretty much exactly the same way about TYS. I have two albums by them and one ep. There's one I didn't listen to yet but I doubt it will change my mind. 
 Post Reply Post Reply