Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Porcupine Tree New Album and Tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 17:47
Interesting article on Porcupine Tree and the current status of the band, and or possibly the end after 2022....
Some telling thoughts on how things went about in 2010, with Steven Wilson walking away.

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 07:13
New single. Sounds samey to me. What's your opinion?

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 15:46
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

New single. Sounds samey to me. What's your opinion?

Not streaming anymore singles releases, I have the album on pre-order so will await it's arrival.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 16:29
single edits are dumb 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 17:03
Just trying to share the new PT single. Nothing but negative or dismissive comments so far. Fair enough.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 18:14

Just trying to share the new PT single. Nothing but negative or dismissive comments so far. Fair enough.

It's fine that you shared it. Problem is, it isn't that good (I agree with "samey").
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 21:30
I'm not negative or positive about the post.......I'm neutral as I have no comment till I receive the album.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 21:46
Yeah, it isn't great to be honest. Hopefully it fits better in the context of the album as a whole
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 21:47

Maybe because some people aren't that crazy about it? Not sure what your reasoning is here, considering no one is being disrespectful about their opinions 

Edited by Necrotica - May 21 2022 at 22:04

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2022 at 00:57
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I'm not negative or positive about the post.......I'm neutral as I have no comment till I receive the album.

I have learnt my lesson in this regard, too. Leaving aside that this is a “single edit”, any single can sound completely different within the context of an album, than it does apart from it.

Personally, I never listen to pre-release singles for this exact reason. I would rather hear the singles for the first time, when I listen to the album for the first time.

In the past, back when I did listen to pre-release singles, I found all too often that one of two things so often occurred. Either I was blown away by it, and then completely underwhelmed by the album itself; or I was so disinterested by the track, or even outrightly disliked it, that it put me off buying the album. (The latter only becomes apparent, when I eventually decide to give the album a listen, because someone insists I am missing out, and I realise they are right, and even the song that put me off, I find I often end up enjoying - so long as it is in the context of the album.)

It doesn’t surprise me, even though I’ve not heard it yet, that people are not particularly engaged with the new PT material. Everything I’ve seen said about it indicates that it is indeed closure/continuation and a sound somewhat like a combination of The Incident and The Future Bites. Given that neither of those albums are held in particularly high regard around these parts, it’s figures that the new songs aren’t exactly going to set hearts alight.

(As The Incident is a top five PT album for me, and TFB quite probably my favourite SW solo album, I am hoping to quite enjoy the new PT when it finally comes around.)

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2022 at 16:54
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

(As The Incident is a top five PT album for me, and TFB quite probably my favourite SW solo album, I am hoping to quite enjoy the new PT when it finally comes around.

The Future Bites? That's definitely an uncommon opinion in regards to SW's solo career Smile

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 00:18
Yeah, I love it. And I know I’m in a minority there. Just to really push it home that my tastes are not really aligned with the average PT/SW fan, Raven is my least favourite SW solo album by quite a long way. (Which is not to say I don’t like it, because I do, but I like all the rest considerably more.)

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 01:18

Yeah, I love it. And I know I’m in a minority there. Just to really push it home that my tastes are not really aligned with the average PT/SW fan, Raven is my least favourite SW solo album by quite a long way. (Which is not to say I don’t like it, because I do, but I like all the rest considerably more.)

Glad to see someone else that doesn't have Raven as their favorite. Hand Cannot Erase is my personal favorite, mostly because - at least to me - it struck that perfect balance between the proggy and poppy sides of Wilson. Plus, 3 Years Older and Routine are among my all-time favorite songs he's written

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 02:24
^^ The only SW solo album I own is Grace For Drowning, which I find quite experimental in a Signify/ Stupid Dream kind of way... I enjoy it but have to be in the right mood. This is a bit ironic I suppose, because I bought Stupid Dream when it was released in 1999, but have never really listened to any of his side projects, inc Blackfield etc. For some while, I've been guessing this wasn't the best place to start? 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 03:44
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

^^ The only SW solo album I own is Grace For Drowning, which I find quite experimental in a Signify/ Stupid Dream kind of way... I enjoy it but have to be in the right mood. This is a bit ironic I suppose, because I bought Stupid Dream when it was released in 1999, but have never really listened to any of his side projects, inc Blackfield etc. For some while, I've been guessing this wasn't the best place to start? 

I love Grace For Drowning. I find it, Opeth’s Heritage, and the Storm Corrosion album all work really nicely together, and I find it hard to listen to one of those three, without wanting to listen to the other two, too. They really do make a really complementary sort of triptych. I’m not sure how deliberate that was, or whether it is just coincidental because they were all made around the same time,

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 03:53

I love Grace For Drowning. I find it, Opeth’s Heritage, and the Storm Corrosion album all work really nicely together, and I find it hard to listen to one of those three, without wanting to listen to the other two, too. They really do make a really complementary sort of triptych. I’m not sure how deliberate that was, or whether it is just coincidental because they were all made around the same time,

hmmm... I recently bought Opeth's Heritage for £3 in a struggle to get into their clean vocal music... persevered through 3 listens and shoved it back on ebay. There is quite simply NO band on PA that over the years I have invested in more attempts to get into their music, or at least try to understand what other people see in them.. frankly, I just can't and regrettably, I just won't be trying them again. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 04:35

hmmm... I recently bought Opeth's Heritage for £3 in a struggle to get into their clean vocal music... persevered through 3 listens and shoved it back on ebay. There is quite simply NO band on PA that over the years I have invested in more attempts to get into their music, or at least try to understand what other people see in them.. frankly, I just can't and regrettably, I just won't be trying them again. 

Well then I guess you are definitely right that SW’s Grace was not the best place for you to start investigating his music outside PT! 😄

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 04:46

Well then I guess you are definitely right that SW’s Grace was not the best place for you to start investigating his music outside PT! 😄

As with Subsignal and Wolverine though, you are the one drawing the connecting lines between GfD and Heritage. I'm not saying you are wrong, because these things are very personal, but I can't for the life of me see any. For me, the lines take me back to Signfy and perhaps more ambient Riverside, which I'm quite happy with.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 04:55

Funny that you say that...

To quote Wilson from the Storm Corrosion bio: "We have both always loved the idea of discord, of beauty, and ugliness side by side. Without being too pretentious, that's what life is like, so you hear a lot more of that coming out in Storm Corrosion. It's heavy, but without the use of the metal vocabulary. You can hear that on ‘Grace For Drowning' and on ‘Heritage' too. So I think, in many ways, this is the completion of a trilogy."

Edited by Necrotica - May 23 2022 at 04:57

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2022 at 05:08

As with Subsignal and Wolverine though, you are the one drawing the connecting lines between GfD and Heritage. I'm not saying you are wrong, because these things are very personal, but I can't for the life of me see any. For me, the lines take me back to Signfy and perhaps more ambient Riverside, which I'm quite happy with.

I would have agreed with you, and said that you are right, and I am the one drawing the connecting lines between GfD, SC and Heritage, I really would have. But I just read Brendan’s post and I am 😱😱😱

If Steven Wilson himself is drawing the same connecting lines as I have heard, then I’m taking that as a win! 🤪

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>