Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Porcupine Tree New Album and Tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 07:58
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I don't think the thread has derailed in any way, the conversation has still about the band and its members.
Multiple posts of Storm Corrosion, Opeth, and SW solo material? I haven't heard much discussion of Wilson's new touring band mates... Randy McStine and Nate Navarro. I am familiar with Randy through his work with Marco Minnemann. He is superb. Nate, don't know much about him, but I'm sure he is amazing also. 

"Derailed" is a harsh word here, they still talked about Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson at least. It didn't bother me. And I usually dislike off-topicness. 

Edited by Cristi - May 24 2022 at 08:05
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 08:45
^ He is just living up to his name. And, even if in jest, the only actual attempt at detailing is from The Grumpsta. But what a fantastic derailment!

Yes, I like halloumi. In fact, I love halloumi. It is one of my favourite cheeses, but (of course) I don’t eat it in the same way I eat other cheeses. Halloumi is the steak of cheeses, so the question is, do you like yours rare, medium or well done?

Edam is possibly prog cheese, as it is the only cheese to be made backwards.

Perhaps the next Wilson & Akerfeldt venture could be Cheese Corrosion. That would be a tasty morsel, indeed! Yum!

The Gorgonzola Bites
The Raclette That Refused To Melt

The possibilities are endless!

🧀🧀🧀

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 09:20
I can get behind GFD being retro, not all of it though. That may also be due to the fact SW used different musicians to record GFD......Tony Levin, Nick Beggs, Nic France, Pat Mastelotto for the rhythm section. It just gives songs different flavors and feelings to me.
I remember not liking the album at all on release, God I thought it was so depressing and dark and a downer, I generally have to be in the mood to listen to it. But I do think there is some fantastic writing and production on this record.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 09:25
I once went into a Swiss cheese hole and got lost. I think I may still be inside one. My posts seem a bit delayed, no doubt to the density of the material it has to travel through.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 10:39
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

^ He is just living up to his name. And, even if in jest, the only actual attempt at detailing is from The Grumpsta. But what a fantastic derailment!

Yes, I like halloumi. In fact, I love halloumi. It is one of my favourite cheeses, but (of course) I don’t eat it in the same way I eat other cheeses. Halloumi is the steak of cheeses, so the question is, do you like yours rare, medium or well done?

Perhaps the next Wilson & Akerfeldt venture could be Cheese Corrosion. That would be a tasty morsel, indeed! Yum!

The Gorgonzola Bites

🧀🧀🧀

Didn't know you can eat cheese well done. Please explain. Wilson really needs to team up with Fripp and they could be King Cheese. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 10:52

The Gorgonzola Bites

🧀🧀🧀

Didn't know you can eat cheese well done. Please explain. Wilson really needs to team up with Fripp and they could be King Cheese. 

You’re the one who brought up halloumi. Have you never fried it like a steak? Just as with a steak, you can leave the halloumi in the pan for as little or as long as you like - thus rare, medium or well done. I like my steak (whether meat or cheese) medium. Sometimes medium-rare, depending on exactly what kind of steak. But generally, I would rather if it goes wrong, that it is cooked too long, than cooked too little. I can still eat a steak if it looks cremated, but if it appears to still be able to walk off the plate, it’s not for me.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 10:54
and now it's off topic! Disapprove
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 10:58

Have you not been paying attention? Grumpy brought up halloumi on the previous page, and as he is the OP, the topic is in his hands. Or under his grill, potentially? Grilled halloumi is also nice. But I do prefer to fry it. I love to hear that sizzle!

Now sizzle - is that ever a word you associate with SW? Have you ever thought that any PT or SW music is sizzling? I can think of some sizzling prog, but as much as I might like PT and SW, I wouldn’t call any of the music sizzling. Cheesy, perhaps. But not sizzling.

Also, derailment is fine, because PT had that song about trains, so going off the rails is kind of keeping on track…

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 11:02

Have you not been paying attention? Grumpy brought up halloumi on the previous page, and as he is the OP, the topic is in his hands. Or under his grill, potentially? Grilled halloumi is also nice. But I do prefer to fry it. I love to hear that sizzle!

Now sizzle - is that ever a word you associate with SW? Have you ever thought that any PT or SW music is sizzling? I can think of some sizzling prog, but as much as I might like PT and SW, I wouldn’t call any of the music sizzling. Cheesy, perhaps. But not sizzling.

Also, derailment is fine, because PT had that song about trains, so going off the rails is kind of keeping on track…

He's not the OP.

Let's get back on topic. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 11:25
Oh, yes, I see. I guess I assumed he was the OP, since he was the first person to moan about this being off-topic.

And, of course, moaning about it being off topic is what caused it to become off topic.

Also, I brought it back on track, but you ignored that.

Give me your best sizzling SW moment. Go!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 11:44
For those interested in Nate Navarro (touring bassist with SW) here is a link.

https://www.youtube.com/c/NathanNavarro/videos
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 12:40

The thread title is Porcupine Tree New Album and Tour.

Anyway, Steven Wilson's favorite cheese is Halloumi. Anyone ever had Halloumi cheese? Wink

Honestly, every day is a school day. For some reason I thought SW was a vegan, so I thought Grumpy was just joking about the Halloumi.

Thanks for the education, Mr Grumspsta! It is appreciated. I guess that’s my something new for the day. 🤗

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 14:30
I've never tried it, but apparently it's a squeaky cheese. Steven should make a concept album about it.

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 14:54
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I've never tried it, but apparently it's a squeaky cheese. Steven should make a concept album about it.

Concept album for sure.  LOL

Very informative. Thanks! I've never tried it either. Article says it tastes similar to Mozzarella. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 15:03

Very informative. Thanks! I've never tried it either. Article says it tastes similar to Mozzarella. 

It doesn’t taste like mozzarella to me, but I guess taste can be subjective and individual.

I do love halloumi, though. I prefer it hit to cold, bland prefer it fried to grilled, but I’ll eat it however. You can get halloumi “fries” at places like McDonalds and Burger King these days. It used to be a cheese not many knew about, but now it is fairly ubiquitous.

I first found out about it when I holidayed in Cyprus. I’d never heard of it before, but it was love at first bite!

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 15:45

It doesn’t taste like mozzarella to me, but I guess taste can be subjective and individual.

I do love halloumi, though. I prefer it hit to cold, bland prefer it fried to grilled, but I’ll eat it however. You can get halloumi “fries” at places like McDonalds and Burger King these days. It used to be a cheese not many knew about, but now it is fairly ubiquitous.

I first found out about it when I holidayed in Cyprus. I’d never heard of it before, but it was love at first bite!

Man, I'd love to go back to Cyprus. I only went there once during my 2018 deployment, but the food there was so good... including some of the best grilled lamb chops I've ever had Big smile

Edited by Necrotica - May 24 2022 at 15:45
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 15:47
I can't believe the thread went off topic because of... cheese. Someone is laughing his arse off. 

Edited by Cristi - May 24 2022 at 16:17
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 16:16

I can't believe the thread went off topic because of... cheese. Some is laughing his arse off. 

.....pull my finger....
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 01:30

I can't believe the thread went off topic because of... cheese. Someone is laughing his arse off. 

To be fair, it is still able to be related back to SW, because he is quoted as saying halloumi is his favourite cheese. I have Grumpy to thank for that, as that is something about SW I never knew, and it is a fact that I am likely to now always remember.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 01:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I can't believe the thread went off topic because of... cheese. Some is laughing his arse off. 

.....pull my finger....

Will it squeak like halloumi?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>