Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Rock, a part of a certain culture?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 21:17
The difference between then and now is the social environment. I feel confident to say that most people realize that. I additionally feel that the inconsistency of Progressive Rock took place in western culture. I have had conversations with musicians in Europe over the last 30 years and it would appear that the concept of music ..such as ever expanding is a way of life in Europe. Music in the European cultures seems to thrive on the importance of natural expression in the arts.

Vangelis once said..." When the music drives the composer its natural ....real...When the composer drives the music it's the record business " What he's saying about the composer driving the music? ...I feel that in America and things used to be quite different here. Particularly in the 60s when music of a experimental nature leaked through.

The definition of Progressive Rock today is sometimes discouraging to think about. From all angles it could never be what it once was because of the times we were living in. Unless there was a way to influence people to think that way again. To feel something from creating experimental music, Electronic, Progressive Rock..etc...through a separation from reality. To go inward which is the total opposite of trying to come up with something purposely to please people who want songs about what's relevant now. That's not how Can invented musical ideas. Popol Vuh didn't seem interested in molding their band for the consumer right? So that's what I'm saying...these bands were not trying to be weird or super creative. They were just being themselves. And that's been an on going issue in America in the Jazz community, and also the underground Prog community.

To bring back the original mind set of opening up to be creative as opposed to creating watered down Jazz and redundancy in Prog you'd have to change the environment. There are a number of Neo Prog bands that are very original and completely outstanding..but it's sad to think that in the early 70s...originality outnumbered the contrived. The composers that drive the music for their slave master at Columbia or Warner Brothers. To think that for several years a lot of Progressive Rock bands actually didn't sound alike. Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Curved Air, Genesis, Yes, and Renaissance had only the slightest similarities. I'm not precisely sure how these bands were able to pull that off except for the possibility that their own personal influences sent them off in a direction that was innovative. A lot of bands came across emulating them instead of being influenced to create something else with a difference.

It's possible that record companies put the pressure on new bands to sound like ELP. It's always possible that things changed for the worst because of that. " Does your band have a keyboard player?" " Does he play like Keith Emerson?" "Does he play 2 keyboards at the same time?"

Is it really necessary to be concerned over that? Does that really have anything to do with being creative? What if you responded like.."Well, I actually have my own style of playing if that's alright with you.   People in that industry are notorious for responding like this.."Well, you're not being a team player and we need you to compromise " ...but it's not about a team player or any of that...no..no..that's called reasoning.

The underground Progressive Rock bands of the 70s and 80s were important to me because they played such beautiful music. Conventum, Pulsar, Solaris, Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Halloween .    The idea that they were genuine was intriguing. Recently I was chatting with a musician from Norway . They explained that Progressive Rock is more accepted in Norway and that the environment is quite the opposite of the U.S. and that generally more people understand Progressive Rock in Norway and are commonly interested in it.

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - January 27 2022 at 21:35
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2022 at 22:16
Punk, heavy metal and jam bands have a subculture attached to them but not prog (imo). There are no prog clothes or prog way of life except maybe to be some kind of nerd. LOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 00:18
It's about the music ultimately. Prog is just a complicated form or pop music and it was in its day a commercial enterprise. It never existed in a vacuum though and the rise in student based politics ('free thinking') must have helped it along. The way things were in the sixties was important to its development. I don't see any cultural element to it though and most fans I see at shows are white and middle class. It's pretty elitist all said and done. 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 06:39

Prog today is certainly diverse from the mainstream Rock, and it's a popular genre with a very large number of bands (including the old ones) and of course even much much larger of listeners. So it's a phenomenon besides the mainstream music culture, and there is much more than the music itself. 

The question is what can be said about the present approach of the musicians and the listeners, including the relationship between them.

Edited by David_D - January 29 2022 at 04:24
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 06:46
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

and there is much more than the music itself. 

What exactly?
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 06:56
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

What exactly?

that what I mentioned
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 10:06

What exactly?

that what I mentioned

Sorry, I went through your postings in this thread once more, but still don't know what exactly. You said something like "there's people there's more", but not what there is. Obviously people are needed to play and listen to the music, and I grant you there are some journals and discussion forums/groups, but what else? For example, if I consider this forum, the only topic that makes it special is prog music. Any other topic discussed here could be discussed with the same points of view and the same interest in any forum on anything else.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 11:52
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

The difference between then and now is the social environment. I feel confident to say that most people realize that. I additionally feel that the inconsistency of Progressive Rock took place in western culture. I have had conversations with musicians in Europe over the last 30 years and it would appear that the concept of music ..such as ever expanding is a way of life in Europe. Music in the European cultures seems to thrive on the importance of natural expression in the arts.

Hi,

Your whole article is nice, and I appreciate it a lot.

For me, it has been a massive discussion about "music" that in America, is rarely considered an art, and is mostly only listed as a top this or that. Europe has a massive history of the arts and music, and it makes a huge difference. There is a respect for that work, whereas in America it is quite ignored, because it is not well known or famous because of a song.

But there are some weird bits here and there in America. Jazz, for example, was still controlled a bit by the popularity of things, but it did not stop the lesser known folks from getting around, and then you got to see the ultimate psychedelic and free form jazz in Miles, and people (I think) don't realize how that, in a funny/different sort of way shaped up things that became "known" as progressive. The adventurous nature of the music took precedence in the 70's ... until such a time as they no longer had a place to be shown or represented (the FM radio dial that died in the early 80's when the great corporate RAPE took place and bought them all!), so folks could enjoy new things and unusual music.

Vangelis once said..." When the music drives the composer its natural ....real...When the composer drives the music it's the record business " What he's saying about the composer driving the music? ...I feel that in America and things used to be quite different here. Particularly in the 60s when music of a experimental nature leaked through.

I don't think that it leaked through" that much ... it was heard and played in a lot of places, and in the very early 70's the beginning and selling of "imports" helped tremendously the open minded FM stations all over, that ended up helping a lot of bands get released over here, of which things like GENESIS, became a major force a year or two later, specially with SEBTP, which was massive here!

That's not how Can invented musical ideas. Popol Vuh didn't seem interested in molding their band for the consumer right? So that's what I'm saying...these bands were not trying to be weird or super creative. They were just being themselves. And that's been an on going issue in America in the Jazz community, and also the underground Prog community.

CAN used a lot of ideas that came with "busking" and the free form theatrical experiments at the time, which were taking the conventional methods apart. See the opening of the Werner Herzog special about Klaus Kinski to get a better idea, of what some actors did, and there were writers (like Peter Handke) that ended up writing word plays that for your imagination or mine, had no story, no character and no "action" other than just words, and it always looked like they came out of the blue for nothing at all. This, can be seen in TAGO MAGO with Damo, although, he has never discussed his busking or how he created what he did, and how it became so big with CAN, until they found that he could not get past that "idea" ... and I think he might have felt that it interfered with his ability to free form, and not be tied to "lyrics" per se, which was difficult for many musicians, but CAN did not seem to have an issue with it ... but almost no one else did it.

To think that for several years a lot of Progressive Rock bands actually didn't sound alike. Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Curved Air, Genesis, Yes, and Renaissance had only the slightest similarities. I'm not precisely sure how these bands were able to pull that off except for the possibility that their own personal influences sent them off in a direction that was innovative. A lot of bands came across emulating them instead of being influenced to create something else with a difference.

I think this is natural in any artistic movement. Picasso started one and everyone copied it. Then Miro decided to do something else and everyone copied it. And then Dali started something else and everyone copied it, and music, really, is no different.

The bad part, is people that are "influenced" losing the actual point of it all, and that was as you state ... to be themselves ... however, it is hard to say that they could not be themselves and sound like someone else, which kinda confuses things, although my tendency is to think that many of these groups are not the "originators" of it all, although still a very valuable part of what became known as "progressive".

I don't have an answer to it all, and neither do I profess to have one ... the artistic movements come and go and then we all think of Michelangelo, right? But the ones that stand out the most, did something very different and their work and meaning is still strong and standing up just fine. However, in this realm, there are a lot of bands that circle the periphery of it all, and they are not exactly appreciated or heard properly in a way that helps explain what they do a lot better. I can't help thinking of the HARVEST group in the early years, and how so many of them were so vastly different and yet, they were great. Roy Harper is still the massive poet he ever was with or without his guitar. The Third Ear Band is still going and being as out there as it ever was, even without a movie showing their material. The Edgar Broughton Band has stood up magnificently and when you see/hear the Rockpalast concert, the appreciation for the material takes a completely different way, and you realize ... this was good!

America was tough, and it has always been, and I think (check out the Tom Dowd DVD), that it has a lot to do with the movie studios, that owned all the copyright and rights mechanisms for a long time, until they started breaking down in the middle 60's and some more independent things appeared, probably started by jazz pioneers, although I don't know if that is as true as before, but the radio hit control of things was very tough to get around, until the new FM radio took off in the late 60's in America ... it provided just as much, if not more than the famous Pirate stations in England, and it helped usher a new time and place, complete with politics and many other things. 

As to "music" or "subculture", I don't know ... I don't think these can be separated that easily and have something make sense. the culture or subculture help create the environment that makes the music, and any of the arts come alive, so, separating them, and making them look like the number 3 hit in 1981 or 1971 just messes things up badly, specially when that hit is very poor by comparison and its "connection" to the culture and subculture is obscured by the fame and the number on the chart!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 12:42

What exactly?

that what I mentioned

Sorry, I went through your postings in this thread once more, but still don't know what exactly. You said something like "there's people there's more", but not what there is. Obviously people are needed to play and listen to the music, and I grant you there are some journals and discussion forums/groups, but what else? For example, if I consider this forum, the only topic that makes it special is prog music. Any other topic discussed here could be discussed with the same points of view and the same interest in any forum on anything else.

Sorry for your inconvenience, I thought it was obvious that I just refererred to the post, you quoted me from, and what I meant was this here with bold fount:
"it's a popular genre with a very large number of bands (including the old ones) and of course even much much larger of listeners."

Edit:
I can't really say more right now than in the post you quoted me from. Smile

Edited by David_D - January 29 2022 at 03:45
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 19:19

"it's a popular genre with a very large number of bands (including the old ones) and of course even much much larger of listeners."

Hi,

See? This is a problem. If this is the only reason for thinking something is great and "right", then it is the end of "progressive music".

The number of bands has nothing to do with it ... how folks take to the new bands and everything else IS. But, if folks, just like you have expressed, continuously make the point that the "much much larger (number) of listeners" is the important thing, then the argument is over ... it's no longer about the music or the subculture ... it's about the fame.

More: You don't think that VARIETY knows that its numbers are fake? They don't include a lot of "independents" because they have no numbers for it, which tells you that they created numbers off their 5 stores (same ownership) and multiplied it by 100, and then posted it ... AND, YOU AND A LOT OF UN-SUSPECTING PUBLIC, BELIEVED IT! Even more so for movies, because they want to make sure that their investment brings the money back in times 10 or 20!!!!! So you believe the press which they own, and the notices, and the adverts on TV that make it look good with slick cutting and show!

I can't help thinking that "progressive" is not about just another lemming out there ... 

Edited by moshkito - January 28 2022 at 19:22
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 19:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

See? This is a problem. If this is the only reason for thinking something is great and "right", then it is the end of "progressive music".

The number of bands has nothing to do with it ... how folks take to the new bands and everything else IS. But, if folks, just like you have expressed, continuously make the point that the "much much larger (number) of listeners" is the important thing, then the argument is over ... it's no longer about the music or the subculture ... it's about the fame.

More: You don't think that VARIETY knows that its numbers are fake? They don't include a lot of "independents" because they have no numbers for it, which tells you that they created numbers off their 5 stores (same ownership) and multiplied it by 100, and then posted it ... AND, YOU AND A LOT OF UN-SUSPECTING PUBLIC, BELIEVED IT! Even more so for movies, because they want to make sure that their investment brings the money back in times 10 or 20!!!!! So you believe the press which they own, and the notices, and the adverts on TV that make it look good with slick cutting and show!

I can't help thinking that "progressive" is not about just another lemming out there ... 
I think moshkito is an elitist. He acts like all mainstream music is just good because it is popular. We prog-head or not still enjoy the pop. I think it would be cool to see more complex music on the radio, but I think what I hear is good enough. Although I was never really a grunge fan LOL
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 22:00
I believe that some ideas to play or write differently developed through Pop Music in the mid 60s. Laura Nyro was a person who wrote hit songs for Pop groups, but after hearing her albums it was obvious that what she was writing seemed to be in a world she designed for herself and that most people didn't write like her. At first...most innovative songwriters were amazed by her originality and a bit confused regarding why she would write truly "off the wall" changes and breaks into a Pop song..which not long after...many songwriters began using her ideas to compose their own material. She definitely used odd chord progressions that were dark and melancholy. No one had ever heard anything like it. She was a huge influence on Todd Rundgren to the extent of many of his songs actually sound like she wrote them. Other writers it wasn't so obvious yet it was possible to hear her influence in there somewhere. Before she released New York Tendaberry she consulted with Miles Davis for approval and after she played it for him...she asked if he thought she should change anything. He basically told her to leave it alone and not change anything. Most players and writers were amazed by her because of how she changed music.

Although George Gershwin, Brian Wilson, Burt Bacharach, Lennon & McCartney, and Ray Davies were already doing that...it wasn't the same. She influenced people to write differently. She heard things that other people didn't and generations of writers borrowed from her. The same credit should be given to the early Progressive Rock bands who were influenced by Classical Music and combined it with Rock. With King Crimson it was Holst. Procol Harum seemed to add an influence of J.S. Bach...Gentle Giant based a lot on counterpoint...but it's possible that her formula or perhaps way of writing was an overall influence on British bands regarding simply the idea of writing in a different direction. The idea itself.

Ray Davies played guitar with a west indie Trinidad band before forming the Kinks. In songs like You Really Got Me, All Day And All Of The Night he adds that jerk movement into the rhythm. This influenced a lot of bands. Several of these early experiments in Pop Music existed before Art Rock. The Laura Nyro tune titled "The Confession" is more progressive than Pop. Instead of a subculture it seemed more like people sharing ideas.
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 23:17
Thank you Moshkito for your insight! I appreciate it
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 04:16
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Sorry, moshkito, but I must say, you completely misinterpret my point here.

Then I can say, I agree pretty much with all your points of view, except from I don't see things quite as negative as you do. Smile

Edited by David_D - January 29 2022 at 05:00
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 04:25

Prog today is certainly diverse from the mainstream Rock, and it's a popular genre with a very large number of bands (including the old ones) and of course even much much larger of listeners. So it's a phenomenon besides the mainstream music culture, and there is much more than the music itself. 

The question is what can be said about the present approach of the musicians and the listeners, including the relationship between them.

?

Edited by David_D - January 29 2022 at 04:36
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 04:45

?

I do not understand the question. Confused
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 05:07
Well, David seams to like having a dialogue with himself, but I guess he wants to repeat his question. But once you don't want to define what can be understood by "subculture" than this all becomes a bit of a rambling dialogue...
So, my to cents regarding the OP, I cannot not take into account a kind a definition of "subculture":
Originally posted by <a href=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subculture target=_blank rel=nofollow>Wiki</a> Wiki wrote:

A subculture is a group of people within a culture that differentiates itself from the parent culture to which it belongs, often maintaining some of its founding principles. Subcultures develop their own norms and values regarding cultural, political, and sexual matters.

And then, my answer to the OP question is: no. Prog is not a subculture because there are no "other specific things", outside the music itself, that could turn it into one. In other words, I think that the "prog community" is too heterogeneous to define it as a subculture.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 05:17
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

?

I do not understand the question. Confused

For instance:
What does motivate mostly the musicians?
Which ideologies are they most in to?
How large a part of the listeners is most into Prog and not other genres?
How important is Prog in their life?
How much do the listeners identify themselves with the music and the musicians?

Edited by David_D - January 29 2022 at 05:22
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 05:26
What motivates musicians? They're artists, creators. 
Ideologies? I don't know. Some have none.
I don't know. 
How important? I don't know, we enjoy listening to it. 
Lyrically and thematically, we empathize I guess. 

Edited by Cristi - January 29 2022 at 07:23
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 06:35

suitkees, as I've written in one of my previous posts and later in my OP, so:

"The notion of "subculture" uses to imply many different things but I use it just as a help to point at some possible things which might exist besides the music. So no need to think much about the notion itself."

And yes, I've noticed some resistance with the topic here - which I don't understand. 

Edited by David_D - January 29 2022 at 07:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>