Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Rock, a part of a certain culture?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 03:54
after 4 pages of discussion, what's the conclusion this far? ConfusedLOL
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 04:01
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I guess, many different conclusions can be made. Big smile
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 04:03
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

can you express one? EmbarrassedSmile
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 04:11

Come on, not at so early point of time, we are almost just started. Big smile

But I can say about myself that I've got already some wiser, both considering the definition of this topic and the topic itself.

Edited by David_D - February 01 2022 at 04:12
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 04:16

Come on, not at so early point of time, we are almost just started. Big smile

What do you mean just started? You're on page 5. LOL
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 05:36
Maybe endless discussion is part of the "prog subcultcha"?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 06:00
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

LOL
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 06:14
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

Who knows before we reseach it. Big smile

Edited by David_D - February 01 2022 at 06:48
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 06:36

Anyway, I don't think, it's so important with conclusions here, more like to investigate the topic. 

Edited by David_D - February 01 2022 at 06:36
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 06:38

Two people ate peanut butter last Saturday night.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 06:39

Anyway, I don't think, it's so important with conclusions here, more like to investigate the topic. 

ok, ignore me then. 
Keep investigating... EmbarrassedLOL
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 07:16
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Two people ate peanut butter last Saturday night.

… but not the jazz kids at the peanut allergies table.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 08:39

ok, ignore me then. 
Keep investigating... EmbarrassedLOL

We'll do our best, Cristi. Smile
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 08:59

Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

some bands/artists have an almost chameleon-like way of moving in and out of genres for the sake of variety,

Can you say anything about how many, because as far as I can see that creates larger commonship between the sub-genres.

I would say that it is not uncommon. 

Okay, I was thinking about the subgenre changing in the last decades.

And yes, I've seen a lot of some of that kind myself, in the last decades as well, by means of RYM's separate genre classifying for each album which easy shows how artists can change musical direction over the time.

Anyway, all that shows much more fluidity between the sub-genres than one could immediately think of, and thus more coherence in the whole Prog culture, as the same thing very probably can be said about the fans. And regarding the fans, by the way, is of course entirely another story in that context, as they easy can be into more than one or even several subgenres - like my self.

If you had asked me in the 1970s, I would have probably said versatility amongst musicians.

Nowadays, my impression is that the subgenres are more specialized. As such, versatility is probably more narrow in scope, but more expansive within each scope.

An example is Steve Howe. He drew from country, classical, blues, and jazz and could just as easily play with Chet Atkins as he could with Prog rockers. Alex Lifeson could play nylon stringed classical quite well.

Nowadays, I think you would find that fewer guitarists in progressive metal can play country or nylon stringed classical guitar. But, within their own subgenres, there is - I would say, trendwise - a higher degree of technical ability. Sweep picking, legato style, alternating and economy picking speed, etc. and a greater usage of alternative scales.

Obviously, there are many exceptions to this. But, as a whole, I think this trend is occurring.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 13:08
Steve Howe mentions in his book that he wasn't aware of him inventing a new kind of music called Prog-Rock. Maybe that sneaky prog subculture just came up in the form of critics, musicologists and plain aficionados with the name, the genre and stuff, while the poor guys were busting their a**e* off playing the thing out there in order to earn a living.
Hewitt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hewitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 13:26
Progressive Rock may well have been a useful term but it came about simply because critics needed a label to apply to a number of bands who emerged in the late 60s, following the release of Sergeant Peppers and Piper, who weren’t playing conventional rock music. I doubt if any of them thought of themselves as ‘progressive’. These things are always applied by critics after the fact.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 13:39
Originally posted by Hewitt Hewitt wrote:

Progressive Rock may well have been a useful term but it came about simply because critics needed a label to apply to a number of bands who emerged in the late 60s, following the release of Sergeant Peppers and Piper, who weren’t playing conventional rock music. I doubt if any of them thought of themselves as ‘progressive’. These things are always applied by critics after the fact.
The first time I heard the term progressive rock was on FM 'underground' rock stations and it applied to bands who were making music geared toward the album rather than the 45 single. Having a 45 single that had a chance to get into the top 40 was the big deal then. It was something totally different when artists started putting out albums with less regard for 45s.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 15:13
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

The first time I heard the term progressive rock was on FM 'underground' rock stations and it applied to bands who were making music geared toward the album rather than the 45 single. Having a 45 single that had a chance to get into the top 40 was the big deal then. It was something totally different when artists started putting out albums with less regard for 45s.

45s! I remember those    And 78s were the ones my young niece asked about “Is that a big CD?” You had to switch the speed on the record player.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 09:04
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

According to Edward Macan: Rocking the Classics. English Progressive Rock and the Counterculture. Oxford University Press 1997, page 26, 27:

"A word should be said at this point about the term "progressive rock" itself. In the mid- to late 1960's, this term was appropriated by the underground radio stations and applied to psychedelic music in general; the label was used to distinguish music of this type from the pop music of the pre-psychedelic era. Around 1970, however, the term "progressive rock" came to have a more specific meaning, signifying a style that sought to expand the boundaries of rock on both a stylistic basis (via the use of longer and more involved structural formats) and on a conceptual basis (via the treatment of epic subject matter), mainly through the appropriation of elements associated with classical music. It is this new, more specific application of the term which is clearly intended in the liner notes of Caravan's debut LP of 1969: "Caravan belong to a new breed of progressive rock groups - freeing themselves from the restricting conventions of pop music by using unusual time signatures and sophisticated harmonies. Their arrangements involve variations of tempo and dynamics of almost symphonic complexity."" 

Edited by David_D - March 10 2022 at 03:42
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 09:09
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

What would you say, are there some other specific things besides the music itself?
Music snobs and nerds.

Well...my daughter bought me a pair of socks for Christmas that say 'Music Snob' on them....mind you it doesn't say prog rock though.
LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>