Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Rock, a part of a certain culture?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 13:37
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

What would you say, are there some other specific things besides the music itself?
Music snobs and nerds.

Well...my daughter bought me a pair of socks for Christmas that say 'Music Snob' on them....mind you it doesn't say prog rock though.
LOL
LOL

"music snobs" and "nerds", well..as well...even it's somehow true about myself, and certainly the nerd part of it (not least according to my step daughter Big smile), I can't really say anything about that as I don't have sufficient knowledge about really many Prog fans. But like so many others, I've made a little poll for the active PA members, only not about bands or music itself but about our musical taste, and I can tell a couple of things on that basis. 

About 70 persons have replied at this point of time, and about two third of us are most interested in prog (as oneself define it), 7 persons are most interested in non-prog while about one third couldn't really say which means something like they are as much interested in prog as in non-prog. 

What can one conclude on that basis, which is of course very slender? Well, to begin with, I'll presume that the active PA members are some of the Prog listeners which are relatively mostly interested in Prog. Yet, more than one third of us are at least as much interested in non-Prog as Prog. That can indicate that a rather large part of all Prog listeners have to high degree other music interests than Prog, so the very dedicated Prog fans are only a minor part of all the Prog listeners.

By the way, if anybody has yet not seen this poll ("progger or non-progger?") and all the replies there, I can certainly recommend to read them, as they are very interesting and tell quite a lot about the active members approach to Prog and other kinds of music, so there's much more to read than I very shortly mentioned here.

Edited by David_D - February 07 2022 at 02:24
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 13:54
It’s a private club

Have they showed you the secret handshake yet?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 14:20
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Have they showed you the secret handshake yet?

No, but you made me think about that it's better to say "we" than "they", thanks. 

And I can tell as well that I better like your new, smaller signature picture than the old one.

"quality above quantity" 

And if my comment to you about the three big Italians was a bit fierce, sorry for that. Smile 

Edited by David_D - February 07 2022 at 01:25
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 14:27

let's wait and see

Edited by David_D - February 07 2022 at 01:27
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 14:35

I guess, no need for this one now. Smile

Edited by David_D - February 07 2022 at 01:28
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 17:09
When did the title of this thread mutate? Wasn't it all about the prog SUBculture?
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 01:05
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

When did the title of this thread mutate? Wasn't it all about the prog SUBculture?

I changed the title after Cristi's last posts but at a very early stage stage of the thread I wrote in one of my posts: "The notion of "subculture" uses to imply many different things but I use it just as a help to point at some possible things which might exist besides the music. So no need to think much about the notion itself.
And I wrote this as well in my OP as "Edit".

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 01:07

I changed the title after Cristi's last posts but at a very early stage stage of the thread I wrote in one of my posts: "The notion of "subculture" uses to imply many different things but I use it just as a help to point at some possible things which might exist besides the music. So no need to think much about the notion itself.

Don't drag me into this LOL, my post was not meant to make you change anything. 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 01:15

Further, in a later stage of the thread, I specified more precise what it should try to answer, and did again even more precise a bit later, after a question about it from Cristi.
These precisements of the topic moved the thread further away from the notion of subculture.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 01:18
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Don't drag me into this LOL, my post was not meant to make you change anything. 

It's just to point at when I made the changes, and how the thread has "mutated". Smile

Edited by David_D - February 07 2022 at 01:19
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 03:59

Maybe endless discussion is part of the "prog subcultcha"?

And sorry to tell you that, Heart of the Matter, but I've found it necessary to change the thread title because most people didn't seem to notice what the thread precisely was supposed to try to answer, and instead focused much on the notion of subculture. So in fact, I can tell as well that I changed the thread title right after this post of yours.

Edited by David_D - February 07 2022 at 04:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 05:37

Maybe endless discussion is part of the "prog subcultcha"?

And sorry to tell you that, Heart of the Matter, but I've found it necessary to change the thread title because most people didn't seem to notice what the thread precisely was supposed to try to answer, and instead focused much on the notion of subculture. So in fact, I can tell as well that I changed the thread title right after this post of yours.

So, my friend, now Cristi's off the hook and I'm in? Just joking, don't worry, I understand the necessity to move forward, and I'm not unhappy with that, just have a moment of "Wait a minute, is it the same thread or it isn't?", you know. I think that the meat of the discussion, more than terming prog culture sub-, counter- or whatever, is that we are part of that same phenomenon too (otherwise we're irrelevant, aren't we?)
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 07:59

I think that the meat of the discussion, more than terming prog culture sub-, counter- or whatever, is that we are part of that same phenomenon too (otherwise we're irrelevant, aren't we?)

I like very much to hear that, Heart of the Matter, and in fact I began to think much in line with that at a quite early stage of this thread. Except from, though, I still think that the notion of "culture" is very usefull because it points at that large variety of "things" which it could be good to investigate, in order to get some good ideas about what kind of phenomenon Prog as music is a part of and can't exist without, including that which can be said about us, both as musicians and fans, or just listeners. Smile

But what do you think of these specific questions, I've mentioned at a rather early stage of this thread as good examples of what would be good to consider, and could you ask some other good questions besides those: 

"What does motivate mostly the musicians?
Which ideologies are they most in to?
How large a part of the listeners is most into Prog and not other genres?
How important is Prog in their life?
How much do the listeners identify themselves with the music and the musicians?"

Edited by David_D - February 07 2022 at 09:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 15:08
^ Interesting questions indeed, the greatest difficulty I think it lies in the third one: the reason why we think of a prog culture it's because we observe people identifying with certain symbolic artifacts (albums, songs, performers, etc.) Beyond that, they can identify themselves with whatever icon surrounding them, so, prog (sub)culture most probably overlaps with many other regions of culture, musical or not.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 15:44

^ Interesting questions indeed, the greatest difficulty I think it lies in the third one: the reason why we think of a prog culture it's because we observe people identifying with certain symbolic artifacts (albums, songs, performers, etc.) Beyond that, they can identify themselves with whatever icon surrounding them, so, prog (sub)culture most probably overlaps with many other regions of culture, musical or not.

I'd say, as soon there are some musicians which can be connected to some specific music (in this case Prog), and as soon there are some listeners to listen to it, there's some Prog culture because as soon there are people there's culture due to the fact that human beings can't exist without culture. So it's inevitable that the Prog culture exists, and the only question is how this culture looks, and not least how much of the same culture can be said concerning the musicians and the listeners respectively.

I don't know how much of this thread you've read, but in some post Jaketes has told quite a lot about what can be said to be a part of the culture concerning musicians. While in one of the post on the top of this page (6), I told about the results of a poll I've made for the active PA members which can be said to be a small part of the Prog culture which concerns the listeners. 

Edited by David_D - February 07 2022 at 15:45
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 16:48

But I might have misunderstood your point, and sorry if that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 17:46
^ I find the questions interesting, but not much hope for an answer based in the interactions of a small sample of subjects (PA members). It's interesting to get to know each other opinions, but that can't be taken as representing a whole culture.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 21:41
This is a very proggy question! I’ve enjoyed reading all of the different compelling viewpoints. David_D has put a lot of thought into this thread.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 04:01

^ I find the questions interesting, but not much hope for an answer based in the interactions of a small sample of subjects (PA members). It's interesting to get to know each other opinions, but that can't be taken as representing a whole culture.

NO!, of course not, it's just to get a bit more knowledgeable about and become more aware of the topic, and I must say, I was hoping for some better results than those so far. Smile

Edited by David_D - February 09 2022 at 04:10
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 04:07
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

This is a very proggy question! I’ve enjoyed reading all of the different compelling viewpoints. David_D has put a lot of thought into this thread.

thank you very much!!  Jaketejas  Big smileBig smile  and for all your contribution, which I in fact find to be the most qualified, relevant and constructive, and thus the best of all the posts here so far. 

Edited by David_D - February 18 2022 at 04:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>