Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New prog in 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 20:08
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

They're starting to sound more like Leprous on some tracks and even have Einar Solberg singing on the opening track. This band has never really done it for me although they aren't bad either. This new video is pretty cool though.

On one hand, I applaud them for progressing their sound, but I'm having a hard time swallowing this one.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2022 at 20:25
This is a very bizarre experimental album that will appeal to some of the panhead proggers out there.

Tissues

by Pan Daijing

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 01:47
Anna von Hausswolff - Live at Montreux Jazz Festival
Big Big Train - Welcome to the Planet

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 03:00
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The only 2022 release I have heard so far is Welcome to the Planet from Big Big Train.

same with me although I have heard a few tracks off the new Marillion album which sounds very promising and also a track or two off the Animals as Leaders album which I'm quite excited about.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 07:53
Originally posted by foregonillusions foregonillusions wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

They're starting to sound more like Leprous on some tracks and even have Einar Solberg singing on the opening track. This band has never really done it for me although they aren't bad either. This new video is pretty cool though.

On one hand, I applaud them for progressing their sound, but I'm having a hard time swallowing this one.

It has some great moments. I still give the album 3.5 stars but they could've done a better job at integrating their old sound with these new ones.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 16:49
For all those who wondered if Godspeed You! Black Emperor's legendary demo "All Lights f**ked on the Hairy Amp Drooling" is legit, well someone has leaked it and it has made it onto YouTube. I still have my doubts of its legitimacy but it certainly does sound like a primitive lo-fi demo that very well could be the real deal.

Since nobody has heard this before i'm calling it as 4 Febr 2022 as the real date of release.

Edited by siLLy puPPy - February 06 2022 at 16:50

Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 02:51
Is it possible to find music sorted by year at PA? The top lists only got the top albums and there's no filters to remove to include more results.

The only other way that I can find is to look at lists alphabetically, but it would be nice if I could list all albums by year. Even better if it also had some filters and sorting abilities. Pretty much the same as the top list filters, just with the option to include every album on PA.

The only ways I find new music on PA is by using the top lists and the forum, but there are many albums added every month that I don't know about.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 16:45
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

Is it possible to find music sorted by year at PA? The top lists only got the top albums and there's no filters to remove to include more results.

The only other way that I can find is to look at lists alphabetically, but it would be nice if I could list all albums by year. Even better if it also had some filters and sorting abilities. Pretty much the same as the top list filters, just with the option to include every album on PA.

The only ways I find new music on PA is by using the top lists and the forum, but there are many albums added every month that I don't know about.

In recent months there have been threads around where users have attempted to keep track of all new prog and adjacent releases. The next best thing to that later in the year could be to hit the "TOP 100 Little Known But Highly Rated Studio Albums of All Time" button on the chart and then pick a specific year to search within - I just tried it for 2021 out of curiosity and found quite a striking list.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 22:38
That was a good idea. Thanks @LearsFool.

I haven't found a whole lot so far this year.

Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There
Jethro Tull - The Zealot Gene

It's too bad about the BCNR vocalist leaving. I hope he recover and find his path again, and that the band is able to keep making interesting music. Isaac's vocals are an important part of their first two albums and they really has/had something good going on.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2022 at 15:43
Spanish post-metal band Toundra released their new album Hex on InsideOut Music on January 14th.  Drum/bass/guitar/synth instrumental music. 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2022 at 06:26
So, my first dive into 2022 is the new album by Afforested called Ancient Healing Oakwood Journeys. The album is made up of one long 39+ minute track that although filed under prog folk here, has a fairly decent amount of symphonic prog in it. It's all instrumental (except for some vocoder stuff) and even though this is one track, my first listen gives me the feeling that it at least has four sections. Anyway, I enjoyed this and it's at least worthy of four stars. It will be on my list of things to buy.

It's available here:
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2022 at 06:49
Simon Phillips Protocol V
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2022 at 07:10
Hi,

They may have been from late last year ... but my two special mentions for the last 6 months would be"

KAIRON:IRSE
and
AGUSA

I'm not a great fan of the "rehashes" of some of the older folks that in my book are not half as good as they could, or should be. It's time for new folks and ears, and the older ones have already had their chance.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2022 at 07:25
Still giving 2021 stuff a chance. So all I've heard so far is the new Voivod, which I really like, though not as good as The Wake. I am also quite intrigued by the first tidbits of the new Meshuggah.

Other than that, I am really feeling the desire to stop listening for the sake of evaluation/ranking and give some of the thousands of albums in my collection some fresh air.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2022 at 12:28
THE FLOWER KINGS
MARILLION
JPL
KARFAGEN
BIG BIG TRAIN
ROSALIE CUNNINGHAM
BLACK COUNTRY NEW ROAD
GRANDVAL
ALBERTO RIGONI
JONAS LINDBERG & THE OTHER SIDE

It's been a good year so far!!!
The Prog Corner
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2022 at 04:16
Still trying to listen to new stuff from the past two years, but had randomly listened to the debut album by we broke the weather on Bandcamp. Really good stuff.

https://webroketheweather.bandcamp.com/album/we-broke-the-weather

Modern prog along the lines of Thank You Scientist, the Dear Hunter.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2022 at 06:32
Not prog but this sounds very promising

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2022 at 12:28
The new Marillion album is really good. I haven't had one by them really 'stick' with me since Marbles though I liked the last two. I'll see if it passes the time test.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2022 at 21:41
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

The new Marillion album is really good. I haven't had one by them really 'stick' with me since Marbles though I liked the last two. I'll see if it passes the time test.

An Hour Before It's Dark might just rank alongside Fish's records with Marillion as well as Marbles and the other previous highlights of H's run with them. In any case its an excellent album and I'm shocked it hasn't gotten more traction here already. I'm in love.

Furthermore, I've caught up on the new Big Big Train joint and that's another tragically ignored LP, one that improves on the otherwise rather quixotic direction of Common Ground at least fifteenfold. I still miss the likes of Grimspound but BBT has proven themselves once again on Welcome To The Planet

Edited by LearsFool - March 07 2022 at 15:34
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2022 at 00:56
Enjoying the new Flower Kings album. Best I've heard this year so far.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>