Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maximalist music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 06:46
Originally posted by edefakiel edefakiel wrote:

Progressive rock, but not maximalist in my ears:

Hi,

I find it weird that you chose the song with Ninet to say that ... a song that is inherently EMOTIONAL and has a strong meaning ... way beyond the majority of listeners within the "progressive" market place ... specially into an area that is important and has a lot more meaning than 99% of the cheesy lyrics found in so many "progressive" materials. And something that SW himself will never be able to do again!

Maximalist is a bizarre, and silly term. I guess that the best of them would be STRAVINSKY but I'm not sure that person has any idea what that means. FZ to my ears, was not a maximalist. His main desire was to see how this and that could work with something else, and he made it valuable to our listening experience with only one odd ball thing that many still don't like ... 200 Motels, which is excellent, but a satire on something totally different in classical music that rock fans will never appreciate. If you EVER bother to listen to the live performance of this at UCLA before Gayle passed away, you will understand it better ... how a choir took to this so seriously and did it magnificently without saying that they were bored with all the crap they had been singing for years in so much classical music. Sadly, I don't think this group has the appreciation for something that heavy and important.

Edited by moshkito - May 16 2022 at 06:47
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 03:57
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Isn't this what Progressive Rock is all about? Wink
Exactly my thoughts.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 01:08
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Queen

Queen is to me this mentality perfected.
Agreed. And anyone who thinks otherwise, probably hasn’t heard enough Queen. 👏🏻👏🏻
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 00:31
I think Zappa and Beefheart helped to define this early on in the experimental rock scene.
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 00:20
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfk7YZJtmeo

Try a bit of Amaranthe... Cool

Despite the name of the album, I don't think I'm convinced LOL

Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

Not sure if this fits but the riffage on this track is quite extreme. To the max baby, to the max; till the guitar pick melts!

They are pretty good. I already have that album. They kind of remind me to this fellas: 

To understand it, you must see this:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I wouldn't call all progressive rock maximalist. And not all maximalist music progressive rock. 

Progressive rock, but not maximalist in my ears:

Not progressive rock, but completely maximalist in my ears:

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Queen

Beyond Bohemian Rhapsody, I don't think I hear much maximalism in them. 

Edited by edefakiel - May 16 2022 at 00:45
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2022 at 22:41
I prefer Happy Medium Design
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2022 at 21:53
Queen

Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2022 at 12:49
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2022 at 08:46
Not sure if this fits but the riffage on this track is quite extreme. To the max baby, to the max; till the guitar pick melts!

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2022 at 08:35
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2022 at 07:30
I have got really interested in maximalism lately. I wonder whether do you know of any music that could fit the following description:

In the arts, maximalism, a reaction against minimalism, is an aesthetic of excess. The philosophy can be summarized as "more is more", contrasting with the minimalist motto "less is more".

For example: 

Edited by edefakiel - May 15 2022 at 07:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12