Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maximalist music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 20:34
How about Rick Wakeman? The Journey to the Centre of the Earth and Arthur albums coming particularly to mind.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 22:29
I think the majority of Devin Townsend's music would be considered maximalist LOL (obviously with the exception of albums like Ghost, Ocean Machine, or Terria)
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 23:06
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

How about Rick Wakeman? The Journey to the Centre of the Earth and Arthur albums coming particularly to mind.

Without question. I have yet to listen to his The Red Planet album. My headphones died a couple days ago, sadly. 

Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

I think the majority of Devin Townsend's music would be considered maximalist LOL (obviously with the exception of albums like Ghost, Ocean Machine, or Terria)

I agree. That is why I posted Empath, which is the absolute craziest in my opinion. 

Edited by edefakiel - May 19 2022 at 23:07
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 23:23
Originally posted by edefakiel edefakiel wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Without question. I have yet to listen to his The Red Planet album. My headphones died a couple days ago, sadly. 

Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

I agree. That is why I posted Empath, which is the absolute craziest in my opinion. 

Indeed The Red Planet is well worth listening. He hasn't released many rock albums in the last few decades, but the ones he has released are solid indeed. Out There is one of his best albums, including the 70's ones. Both Retro albums are very good too. And now The Red Planet. And both Re-recordings, of Arthur and Journey, are worthy additions, just for the extra songs (well, for me more so the Arthur ones).
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gully Foyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2022 at 10:49
How about some Neptunian Maximalism?  Eons is a masterpiece.

https://neptunianmaximalism.bandcamp.com/
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2022 at 11:36
Sparks, maybe?

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2022 at 13:39
I was thinking of Mr. Bungle.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2022 at 20:20
This pretty much strays into the territory of a list i made on RYM several years ago called CRAZY COMPLEX PROG.

My intent was to find the most brutal uncompromising prog albums ever however the term maximalist prog works too!

If anyone has any suggestions, this list is in need of an update.

You can certainly find some great gems on here though :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2022 at 22:19
While the majority, if not the entirety, of the scene is not represented on the PA, the Japanese Visual Kei scene, that is power, symphonic, and neoclassical metal, is in my opinion, just about as maximalist you can get.

Here's a brand new video by Imperial Circus Dead Decadence:

While it's not visual kei, from Japan, Gonin-Ish is very avant-garde, similar to Unexpect (Japan is ahot spot for both maximalism and minimalism):

Of course from Sweden, there's Diablo Swing Orchestra, as well:

If you like ska, there's Cat Empire, from Australia:

Lastly, how could I forget Archspire, from Canada?

Edit:
I've decided to add a two more:

From Israel there's Sould Enema (their music is just as ridiculous as their name):

There's also Happy Family, also from Japan (really the whole zeuhl genre is maximalist af)

Edited by bardberic - June 17 2022 at 23:33
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2022 at 01:28
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

How about some Neptunian Maximalism?  Eons is a masterpiece.

https://neptunianmaximalism.bandcamp.com/

Yeah, they are pretty good. I was blown away the first time I listened to them! Great recommendation. 

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Sparks, maybe?

I'm not familiarized with them. I will take a listen. Thanks! 

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I was thinking of Mr. Bungle.

Yes, I'm greatly amused by them. I think that they fit quite well. Thanks! 

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

This pretty much strays into the territory of a list i made on RYM several years ago called CRAZY COMPLEX PROG.

My intent was to find the most brutal uncompromising prog albums ever however the term maximalist prog works too!

If anyone has any suggestions, this list is in need of an update.

You can certainly find some great gems on here though :)

I know! I have discovered a lot of music through your lists! Thanks for everything, man!

Originally posted by bardberic bardberic wrote:

While the majority, if not the entirety, of the scene is not represented on the PA, the Japanese Visual Kei scene, that is power, symphonic, and neoclassical metal, is in my opinion, just about as maximalist you can get.

Here's a brand new video by Imperial Circus Dead Decadence:

While it's not visual kei, from Japan, Gonin-Ish is very avant-garde, similar to Unexpect (Japan is ahot spot for both maximalism and minimalism):

Of course from Sweden, there's Diablo Swing Orchestra, as well:

If you like ska, there's Cat Empire, from Australia:

Lastly, how could I forget Archspire, from Canada?

Edit:
I've decided to add a two more:

From Israel there's Sould Enema (their music is just as ridiculous as their name):

There's also Happy Family, also from Japan (really the whole zeuhl genre is maximalist af)

Wow. I didn't know most of those, I'm eager to listen to them. Thanks! 

Edited by edefakiel - June 19 2022 at 01:32
olehvgrn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olehvgrn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 13:13
Thanks for sharing, that sounds good
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12