Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Give me your top list of endgame prog artists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 07:42
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The off-topicness here is a bit ridiculous. LOL
The thread has gone off-topic because none of us are quite sure what the topic is supposed to be about, other than a cryptic reference to a chess endgame. Smile

Thank you Captain Obvious, Sir!
My pleasure. Glad to be of service. Tongue
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 08:05

The thread has gone off-topic because none of us are quite sure what the topic is supposed to be about, other than a cryptic reference to a chess endgame. Smile

I though falling down the rabbit-hole was the main theme
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 08:36
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I though falling down the rabbit-hole was the main theme

the OP hasn't come back to check out his own thread, it's all confusing. Confused
If it becomes a funny thread, it needs to be moved elsewhere. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 08:50
The OP did come back and confirmed that the thread is exactly what was assumed by those who understood it to begin with.

Paul then went on a rampage of misdirection and irrelevance, as he is wont to do.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 09:00
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

The OP did come back and confirmed that the thread is exactly what was assumed by those who understood it to begin with.

Paul then went on a rampage of misdirection and irrelevance, as he is wont to do.

so are we talking about our prog journey, with what artists we started and what are listening to these days? Or have I misunderstood yet again? LOL
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 09:23
Yes, it would appear you have. But I’m really not sure how to explain it better.
You fall down a rabbit hole of prog. What’s at the bottom?

As per my original reply (which, from memory, was the very first reply to the OP), I have never experienced just one rabbit hole, and there are always more rabbit holes for me to explore. So I could list off different albums from the bottom of different holes.

I guess another analogy could be an iceberg. The most obvious and well known artists and albums we listen to are the tip of the iceberg, that can be seen above the waterline. These aren’t particularly obscure (except for the fact that prog is fairly obscure compared to most mainstream fare). But dive below the surface, and you get the less well-known stuff. The further below the waves you get, the more obscure the artist and album are. The base of the iceberg, deep beneath the surface of the ocean is what the OP has called his “endgame” - that which exists at the bottom of the rabbit hole.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 09:43
 How about Ian Boddy's deep Dark Descent into the abyss (from the album "The Deep"), which is a whole lot  deeper than any rabbit hole. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 29 2022 at 09:43
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 02:43
Can this be the "endgame" that is being talked about here? LOL

A man playing chess with death is a monumental painting in Täby Church located just outside Stockholm, Sweden. It was painted around 1480–1490 CE, by the Swedish medieval painter Albertus Pictor. The motiff is nearly unique, only seen one other time in contemporary art. FWk-P4-UTa-UAAefr7
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 04:15
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

Can this be the "endgame" that is being talked about here? LOL

A man playing chess with death is a monumental painting in Täby Church located just outside Stockholm, Sweden. It was painted around 1480–1490 CE, by the Swedish medieval painter Albertus Pictor. The motiff is nearly unique, only seen one other time in contemporary art.

Ingmar Bergman's famous movie "The Seventh Seal" was inspired by this picture.

I love this picture. Death playing chess is a common motif in medieval times; see for example this picture which is attributed to Israel van Meckinem:

his name was originally "Albrekht Ymmenhusen", or just "Albrehkt" because family names were uncommon back then. what was added to the name to distinguish between several persons of a given name was either the profession or the location; in this case the location. this is the historic reason why so many family names are also names of professions, like "Smith", "Tailor", "Hunter", "Cook" or "Fisher". later his name was changed to "Albertus Pictor". "pictor" is Latin for "painter", so he was "Albert the painter".

when I studied history and specialized in ancient I had to take courses in Latin and ancient Greek.

Edited by BaldJean - July 01 2022 at 05:18

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 08:39
At the bottom of the rabbit hole you will find Neal Morse - bible in hand - welcoming you to Prog Hell.
The Prog Corner
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 08:41
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

At the bottom of the rabbit hole you will find Neal Morse - bible in hand - welcoming you to Prog Hell.

funny LOL
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 08:50

Are you saying we're not allowed to have fun in the regular PA forums? Tongue
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 08:54

Are you saying we're not allowed to have fun in the regular PA forums? Tongue

No. But if a thread in the music forum gets only off-topicness and a lot of joking, it's going to get moved in the "just for fun" section. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 17:03
In prog, there are no "rabbit holes...."   only worm holes.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2022 at 17:33
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

...and according to the "Is Roger Waters bigger than Jesus" thread, the occasional arse-hole.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 10:48
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

...and according to the "Is Roger Waters bigger than Jesus" thread, the occasional arse-hole.

witty Big smile
yuribujuri View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yuribujuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2022 at 10:16
Interesting question.
I broadly believe that Gentle Giant is a kind of prog last frontier... difficult to get into.
For sure you are looking for things below in the rabbit hole...

In this list there is a lot of things you may want to try:
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/floflo79/obscure_and_forgotten_progressive_rock_gems__in_progress_/

If you ask for my personal top list...

1. Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
2. Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra
3. Needlepoint - Walking up that Valley

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2022 at 11:13
Those first 2 are excellent suggestions
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 07:15
Originally posted by Moonchild88 Moonchild88 wrote:

Pretty much title. 

Going down the prog rabbit hole how far do you think you have gotten, and what albums do you think are near the bottom of the rabbit hole. 
I hope this makes sense. 

Hi,

Sometimes, however, for me, there is no "rabbit hole" and there is no "bottom" anywhere in life or the world, since we know that music has existed for hundreds, and indeed thousands of years! Favorites and Rabbit holes come and go ... and then we all think of Michelangelo!

Nothing new under the stone of an idea!Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 18:50
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Those first 2 are excellent suggestions

Hey, what's wrong with Needlepoint? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>