Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Swiss Roll of Honour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2022 at 06:29
I second John's recommendation of the Math Rock band SONAR--or it's offshoot, the solo projects of founder/leader STEPHAN THELEN. 2018's release Vortex is particularly outstanding--due in part to the collaboration of guitarist David Torn.

Also, a recent find of mine is the wonderful chamber-jazz rock band IKARUS. Their release from this year, Plasma,seems destined for my Top 10 at year's end. 

I'm also quite fond of electric harpist ANDREAS VOLLENWEIDER--especially the albums on which genius multi-instrumentalist Pedro Haldemann contributes.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2022 at 05:46
I just need two more Swiss prog bands from the classic 1970's/early 80's era to make a Top 40 playlist. Cool

Psychedelic Swiss Rolls Smile

^ I'd Love to have added Ikarus to the Swiss Roll of Honour - until I discovered they're a German band. Confused

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 20 2022 at 05:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2022 at 06:18
^ Addendum: I just discovered the superb Jazz-Rock band Pyranha on YouTube, so that just leaves one more class Swiss prog band remaining before I get my teeth into the Top 40 playlist. Have I finally bitten off more than I can chew? Only Time Will Tell. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 20 2022 at 06:22
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2022 at 23:19
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Coming soon..... Are you ready to do a thing called the Krododil Rock? If so, you're just in time for Tea, as I'll be taking a wander down a Swiss Country Lane and giving a warm Welcome to  some of the very best of classic Swiss prog, running all the way through the alphabet from Alpha to Omega. Many of these rare Swiss bands were as ephemeral as a proverbial Dragonfly, having cast their Magic Spell by releasing just one amazing album and then presumably retiring to their desert Island in the sun. There's also a whole plethora of classic Symphonic Prog to look forward to - featuring time signatures as complex and accurate as a Swiss clock - as well as some dazzling  keyboard pizzazz from Mr. Patrick Moraz! It's time now for me to Exit stage left before I go completely cuckoo (although it's probably too late for that already). Tongue

Featured Swiss Artists

01. Agamemnon (Psychedelic/Space Rock)
02. Alpha to Omega (Eclectic Prog)
03. Blue Motion (Symphonic Prog)
04. Brainticket (Krautrock)
05. Circus (Eclectic Prog)
06. Country Lane (Heavy Prog)
07. Docmec (Symphonic Prog)
08. Dragonfly (Symphonic Prog)
09. Dude Durst (Krautrock)
10. Eloiteron (Symphonic Prog)
11. Elysium (Crossover Prog)
12. Ertlif (Psychedelc/Space Rock)
13. Exit (Symphonic Prog)
14. Flame Dream (Symphonic Prog)
15. Sergius Golowin (Krautrock)
16. Kay Hoffman (Prog Folk)
17. Island (Eclectic Prog)
18. Kashmir (Progressive Electronic)
19. Kedama (Crossover Prog)
20. Kjol (Jazz Rock/Fusion)
21. Krokodil (Krautrock)
22. Lost Peace (Jazz Rock/Fusion)
23. Magic Spell (Symphonic Prog)
24. Mainhorse (Symphonic Prog)
25. McChurch Soundroom (Krautrock)
26. Monseigneur (Prog Folk)
27. Patrick Moraz (Crossover Prog)
28. Nautilus (Symphonic Prog)
29. Pacific Sound (Krautrock)
30. Plamp (Eclectic Prog)
31. Pyranha (Jazz Rock/Fusion)
32. The Shiver (Proto Prog)
33. Sicher (Symphonic Prog)
34. Spartacus (Symphonic Prog)
35. Tea (Heavy Prog)
36. Trocarn (Prog Folk)
37. Joel Vandroogenbroek (What a great Dutch name!)
38. Andreas Vollenweider (Crossover Prog)
39. Welcome (Symphonic Prog)

Argh it’s. Embarrassing times again as. I’ve never even heard of any of these bands before. So I’m guessing that. I’ll be busy checking out the Swiss Rolls oh. Thanks for the list of bands Paul
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2022 at 23:44
^ You're Welcome, and don't worry, because they're all new to me too, apart from Brainticket & Welcome. 

I just need to find that elusive 40th artist now to complete my Top 40 Swiss Roll of Honour. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 20 2022 at 23:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2022 at 02:04
Update: I just discovered the Swiss Heavy Prog band *Toad* today (thanks to Google), thereby completing my Top 40 playlist, which calls for a celebratory drum roll from Ginger Baker's Air Force with their song "Toady". Smile 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 21 2022 at 02:06
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2022 at 06:21

Update: I just discovered the Swiss Heavy Prog band *Toad* today (thanks to Google), thereby completing my Top 40 playlist, which calls for a celebratory drum roll from Ginger Baker's Air Force with their song "Toady". Smile 

I don’t know this band also.

Music Is Live

<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2022 at 06:26
^ I'd vaguely heard of Toad before, but I didn't know they were Swiss - until toaday that is. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2022 at 08:01
Now that the Top 40 list is complete, I'm on a roll (a Swiss roll) and ready to rock & roll with the first band on the A-Z list.....

Agamemnon was a hero of Greek mythology in the Trojan Wars and Agamemnon the band are one-time heroes of Swiss prog, having released just one amazing album in 1981 and then just as quickly disappeared - presumably to go and fight a war somewhere. Agamemnon have sometimes been compared to the German bands Minotaurus and Epidaurus, but this band are no prog dinosaurs! No, this is wonderful, melodic Symphonic Prog at its best (although bizarrely, they're categorised as Psychedelic/Space Rock here on PA). Anyway, I hope you enjoy the album, even though the production quality isn't brilliant, hence it's "only" a 4-star rating instead of the full five stars. Smile

4 stars 1981: Agamemnon - Agamemnon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3LlRRRVfX4

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 21 2022 at 08:03
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2022 at 11:39

Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Some Moraz world like 'the story of I ( Charisma label) or with Bill Bruford are Ok
Don't forget Refugee ( one LP on Charisma)
Refugee = Nice minus Emerson plus Moraz = excellent symphonic prog imo

Refugee are coming up early next year on my Prog Britannia playlists. Thumbs Up

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2022 at 13:01
^ I've just moved Refugee forward onto my current PB playlist, so they'll be coming up Someday soon. Thumbs Up

REFUGEE were a short-lived Symphonic Prog threesome from London. You could be forgiven for thinking Phil Collins was a member of Refugee, because the man in the middle on their one and only self-titled album cover from 1974 bears a striking resemblance to the Genesis drummer. There's no mistaking Swiss keyboard player Patrick Moraz on the right of the album cover though. He was brought in as a last-minute replacement for Keith Emerson, who was otherwise engaged with the Prog- Rock supergroup Emerson, Lake & Palmer at the time. The other two members of Refugee besides Patrick Moraz were both ex-members of The Nice:- Lee Jackson on bass, electric cello, electric guitar, 12-string acoustic guitar and lead vocals, and Brian Davison on drums and percussion, where "percussion" meant virtually anything the versatile drummer could lay his hands on, including tympani, various gongs, Tibetan temple bells, African drums, kabassa (whatever that is!?) and broken glass! Patrick Moraz wasn't exactly slacking in the keyboards department either with this very impressive array of keyboard instruments at his disposal:- Mini- moog, AKS synthesiser, piano, electric piano, clavinet, organ, pipe organ, marimbaphone, alpine horn, electronic slinky, mellotron, and occasional vocals too! Patrick Moraz would of course go on to be a member of YES and a "days of future passed" member of The Moody Blues. Who could forget the famous music trial of the century!? The sole Refugee album was recorded in 1974 at ART Studios in Geneva in Patrick Moraz' native Switzerland, so he would have felt right at home there, whereas the two English members of the band, Lee Jackson and Brian Davison were temporary "refugees".

The title of the imperious 5-minute-long opening number "Papillon" can have several meanings:- Either a black butterfly; a symbolic breaking free of societal restraints and restrictions; or even a toy breed of dog with large butterfly-like ears! One thing's for sure though, the "Papillon" on this album is no delicate butterfly. No, this is an aggressive and impressive Pictures at an Exhibition-style display of powerful keyboard prog in the best tradition of Emerson, Lake & Palmer. There's no shortage of classically-inspired, lightning-speed keyboard runs to be heard from Patrick Moraz in this tremendous instrumental album opener, which also features a storming salvo of machine-gun-like drumming from Brian Davison. Yes, it looks like we could be in for quite a treat here with this gloriously pompous one-off album of unashamedly exhibitionistic Symphonic Prog. On the second song "Someday", We get to hear the emotionally-wrought (and some might say "over-blown") vocals of Lee Jackson for the first time, which also features another incredible keyboard performance from Patrick Moraz before he went on to join YES for their "Relayer" album in late 1974. "Someday" is one of those grand magisterial prog epics that gathers in pace and intensity as it progresses, so it could be described as the true definition of Progressive Rock. If "Papillon" represented a symbolic breaking-free, then "Someday" continues the theme of liberation with the powerful message contained within these lyrics:- "Someday, I'll go away, Pack my bag, Get on a plane, I'll fly up through my cloud, I'll smash right through, Right into the sun." ..... This is the kind of powerfully uplifting feel-good prog that'll leave you flying high on a wave of joyous and exhilarating emotion. If you haven't quite reached seventh prog heaven yet, then the third piece of music might help get you there, because next up is the awesome 17-minute-long, "Grand Canyon" suite, the first of two epic suites on the album. This magnificent five-part magnum opus is every bit as grandiose and spectacular as the song title implies. Be prepared to be stunned by this brilliant landscape of dazzling musical colours. The outstanding "Grand Canyon" suite represents the musical equivalent of the real Grand Canyon bathed in rich golden colours at sunset.

The title of the Side Two opener "Ritt Mickley" is a humorous reference to the strong Swiss accent of Patrick Moraz when he pronounces "rhythmically". It's another 6-minute-long demonstration of ELP-style keyboard prog at it's absolute best, so you can expect another dazzling display of keyboard histrionics from Mr Moraz & Co. The final piece of music on the album is the second of the two epic suites. It's a thunderous 18-minute-long masterpiece titled "Credo". The majestic music is divided into eight movements of stunning symphonic splendour and delight, which just HAS to be heard to be believed. This is incredible!

You can't fail to be over-awed by this stunning display of ELP-style keyboard prog. This outstanding one-off album has a treasured place in the hallowed halls of ProgArchives. Refugee might not be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but they truly deserve to be included with full honours and flags flying with this very impressive powerhouse debut!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 21 2022 at 13:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2022 at 01:17
One amazing album and one amazing life - courtesy of Prog Line - in a Swiss rock opera that's so rare it's not even listed in the A-Z directory of ProgArchves. 

5 stars 1976: Alpha to Omega - A Life - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0qs1n0n7lQ

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 22 2022 at 01:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2022 at 01:17
When Swiss band Circus were in the process of breakin' up and Movin' On, they changed their name to Bliue Motion and released this one-off album of monumental Symphonic Prog. Smile

4 stars  1980: Blue Motion - Blue Motion  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrwsdAGFKMs

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 23 2022 at 01:18
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2022 at 05:56

14           Circus     Movin' On                   1977      

12           Circus     Circus            1976      

12           Circus     Tearless, Fearless and Even Less              1980      

12           Island      Pictures         1977   

12           Nimal    Voix de Surface     1990

11           Bärtsch, Nik           Entendre          2021      

11           Bärtsch, Nik / Ronin            Stoa             2006      

11           Bärtsch, Nik / Ronin            Awase           2018      

11           Agamemnon         Part 1 & 2               1981      

11           Circus     All Stars Live           1978      

11           Debile Menthol    Emile au Jardin Patrologique                1982      

11           Pyranha Pyranha        1972     

11           Ikarus     Mosaismic                2019      

11           Toad       B.U.F.O. (Blues United Fighting Organization)               1970      

10           AKKU Quintet       Molecules                 2015      

10           AKKU Quintet       Aeon              2017      

10           Bärtsch, Nik / Mobile          Ritual Groove Music           2001      

10           Bärtsch, Nik / Mobile          Aer         2004      

10           Bärtsch, Nik / Ronin            Holon       2008      

10           Blue Motion          Blue Motion             1980      

10           Dawn      Loneliness              2007      

10           Galaad    Premier Fevrier       1992      

10           Galaad    Vae Victis           1996      

10           Galaad    Frat3r       2019      

10           Island      Pyrrho (1975/1976)       

10           Krokodil An Invisible World Revealed             Swz         1971      

10           McChurch Soundroom       Delusion     1971 

10           Nimal   - Dis Tanz     1993   

10           Toad       Toad           1972      

10           Toad       Tomorrow Blue         1972

Edited by Sean Trane - October 24 2022 at 11:00
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2022 at 08:21
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

^^ very good Paul.. LOL

you know, given your tastes, I think you'll love Clepsydra (Neo-Prog); their albums 'Fears' and 'Alone' are well worth checking out. 
You wouldn't believe this, but I just looked on Wikipedia for a list of Swiss Progressive Rock bands and they only had three listed:- Patrick Moraz; Toad & Yello. I could suggest they add at least another 40 Swiss prog artists to the list, including Clepsydra, who are coming up here right after Brainticket and Circus - hopefully before the water clock strikes midnight at the end of the month. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 24 2022 at 08:24
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2022 at 08:29

^^ very good Paul.. LOL

you know, given your tastes, I think you'll love Clepsydra (Neo-Prog); their albums 'Fears' and 'Alone' are well worth checking out. 

You wouldn't believe this, but I just looked on Wikipedia for a list of Swiss Progressive Rock bands and they only had three listed:- Patrick Moraz; Toad & Yello. I could suggest they add at least another 40 Swiss prog artists to the list, including Clepsydra, who are coming up here right after Brainticket and Circus - hopefully before the water clock strikes midnight at the end of the month. Smile

Sadly I do believe it.

Music Is Live

<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2022 at 03:07
Brainticket: a multi-national Space Rock band led by Belgian psychonaut Joel Vandroogenbroek. Take a heavy trip to the epicentre of your mind. It's cosmic! Cool

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 25 2022 at 03:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2022 at 04:08
Roll up, roll up, for all the fun of the Circus all stars band - the best Circus act since British Funk Rock band, Trapeze! Swiss band Circus are an Eclectic Prog band who've sometimes been compared to King Crimson and Van der Graaf Generator, although at the risk of taking an embarrassing fall from a high wire, Circus are far superior to either of those two overrated bands in my view. There, I've said it (waits for more mockery). Movin' On swiftly now before I get lynched..... If you like the Movin' On album, then try Fearless, Tearless and Even Less, which you'll hopefully like even more - not less.  Smile

4 stars 1977: Circus - Movin' On - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxJ0zOleXBs
4 stars 1978: Circus - All Stars Band Live - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPL63ZeT2Qs
5 stars 1980: Circus - Fearless, Tearless and Even Less - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mxOxS4a5tTP4K7dsKH-08jqx2AoA_k55g
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2022 at 05:44

^^ very good Paul.. LOL

It's time for Clepsydra, a Swiss band par excellence. If you Love this band too, then you're not Alone. Their music is as fascinating to the ears as a Hologram image is fascinating to the eyes. Clepsydra skilfully manage to bridge The Gap between Symphonic Prog and Neo Prog, so just settle back and let all of your cares and Fears melt away like More Grains of Sand as you listen to this wonderful music. Thumbs Up

5 stars 2019: Clepsydra - The Gap - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAqKXPz16tg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2022 at 03:15
Take a walk down a Swiss Country Lane. You never know what you might find just below the surface. Maybe some underlying Heavy Rock. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>