Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Swiss Roll of Honour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2022 at 00:27
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Hi Paul,

I recommend you Sicher, they released only one album "Sicher" (1981) they remind me in some parts to Flame Dream, delicate flute and sax parts, hammond, even cellos and strings, totally instrumental

Thanks! Sicher are already on my Swiss playlist (at #33) on Page 1 of this blog. Thumbs Up
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2022 at 06:34

3 stars 1973: Sergius Golowin - Lord Krishna von Goloka - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7j4hqXD8p4

Sergius Golowin (born in Prague, CZ) is surely one of the most obscure artists ever to emerge from Switzerland in this rare, one-off album of spiritual devotion. Heart

I'm guessing the irate pilot (Robert Stack) in the clip below wouldn't enjoy this devotional Hare Krishna album at all. Ouch

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2022 at 01:32
Edelweiss, edelweiss, if only Swiss Prog Folk were twice as nice. Instead, it's twice as wyrd. Wacko

3 stars 1985: Kay Hoffman - Floret Silva (recorded in 1978) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ott1c5bc6kw

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 08 2022 at 01:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2022 at 02:12
This spooky album with a cover by H.R. Giger is from a band who appeared briefly like a Swiss zephyr  and then just as mysteriously disappeared, never to be heard from again. Pictures is a haunting album of offbeat Eclectic Prog that reaches new levels of eclecticism. It's not the kind of album I'd want to take to a desert Island, but it should appeal to fans of VDGG's legendary Pawn Hearts album. Smile

2 stars 1977: Island - Pictures - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS5XP4-gmuQ

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 09 2022 at 03:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2022 at 04:26
Kashmir: as mysteriously beautiful as the province of the same name on the Indian subcontinent, and also one of the best Swiss prog albums you've never heard of. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 10 2022 at 04:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 05:31
Kedama: Switzerland's answer to Emerson, Lake & Palmer! Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 11 2022 at 06:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2022 at 07:00
Kjol: a cool Jazz-Rock band for a warm Sunny Day of off-piste skiing in the Swiss Alps, but watch out for the snowfalls and snowballs.  Smile

3 stars 1979; Kjol - Take It On - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfrMM4Mw8wU
3 stars 1981: Brigeen Doran's Kjol - Sunny Day

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 12 2022 at 07:04
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2022 at 07:10
... [QUOTE=Psychedelic Paul]
It's just a pity all of the lyrics are sung in the band's native French, instead of English - the universal language of prog. Smile

I'm sad that you feel that way, Paul! I for one much prefer that a band sing in their native tongue! I find the exposure/experience much more edifying, enlightening, and genuine!

P.S. This is quite an endeavor you've undertaken! All for one country! Do you plan to offer the same attention and love to every country? It's a worthy consideration though might, I think, prove exhausting.

Edited by BrufordFreak - November 12 2022 at 07:13
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2022 at 07:15
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

It's just a pity all of the lyrics are sung in the band's native French, instead of English - the universal language of prog. Smile

I'm sad that you feel that way, Paul! I for one much prefer that a band sing in their native tongue! I find the exposure/experience much more edifying, enlightening, and genuine!

You may not feel that way if you heard the Symphonic Prog of Mister Robot, where all of the lyrics are sung in their native Russian. Do Svidaniya. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2022 at 07:22

P.S. This is quite an endeavor you've undertaken! All for one country! Do you plan to offer the same attention and love to every country? It's a worthy consideration though might, I think, prove exhausting.

Well, I've already covered classic Dutch Prog and classic Japanese Psych in their entirety, and next up are all of the East European artists in my Prague Archives blog, so that should keep me busy for awhile. How about an Aussie prog blog, featuring artists from a land down under, where women glow and men plunder? Smile
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 02:44
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Well, I've already covered classic Dutch Prog and classic Japanese Psych in their entirety, and next up are all of the East European artists in my Prague Archives blog, so that should keep me busy for awhile. How about an Aussie prog blog, featuring artists from a land down under, where women glow and men plunder?  Smile

If you do one on the wallabies, make sure you invte the kiwis as well

Edited by Sean Trane - November 13 2022 at 02:45
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 02:56
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Well, I've already covered classic Dutch Prog and classic Japanese Psych in their entirety, and next up are all of the East European artists in my Prague Archives blog, so that should keep me busy for awhile. How about an Aussie prog blog, featuring artists from a land down under, where women glow and men plunder?  Smile

If you do one on the wallabies, make sure you invte the kiwis as well

Definitely! New Zealanders and Tasmanians will both be more than welcome to join me with a six-pack 'round the barbie. G'day mate!
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 07:15

You may not feel that way if you heard the Symphonic Prog of Mister Robot, where all of the lyrics are sung in their native Russian. Do Svidaniya. Smile

I have to admit that Russian does not sound as nice of a fit for the prog lexicon as some other languages, but cut Alexei some slack! He is a serious, up-and-coming artist. I watch him and his output with serious interest (and hope)!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 01:58

Definitely! New Zealanders and Tasmanians will both be more than welcome to join me with a six-pack 'round the barbie. G'day mate!

you'll have to find a better (read bad) play on words for title to open that blog LOL
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 02:44
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

you'll have to find a better (read bad) play on words for title to open that blog LOL

How about The Wizards of Aussie Prog for a snappy blog title? Ermm

And on the subject of snappy titles, Are You Ready for Krokodil: a Swiss Krautrock outfit that you can really get your teeth into. Smile

4 stars 2020: Krokodil - An Invisible World Returns
3 stars 2021: Krokodil - Another Time

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 00:36
Berne, baby Berne! Are you ready for some funky Jazz-Rock, courtesy of Lost Peace, a lost and found one-album band from Berne in Switzerland? Beer

1977: Lost Peace - Lost Peace - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9SXkG5AfVc

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 15 2022 at 00:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 01:46
5 stars  1975: MAGIC SPELL - Is There Anywhere a Gas Station? (Symphonic Prog  Switzerland) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpZWmccEP00

This outstanding Symphonic Prog album definitely cast its magical spell on me. It's firing on all cylinders with a full tank of gas! Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 08 2023 at 02:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 01:50
Mainhorse aren't exactly a household name, even in their native Switzerland, but if there's one main thing they'll be remembered for, it's the first band to feature keyboard wizard Patrick Moraz. Thumbs Up

4 stars 1971: Mainhorse - Mainhorse - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Su3djAwGzs

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2022 at 02:31
4 stars 1971: McChurch Soundroom - Delusion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql3HnPMVEj0

Jeepers Creepers! It's another rare psychedelic treasure unearthed from the Swiss underground, just like the creepy melting skull on the album cover. Don't have nightmares.  Dead

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2022 at 02:34
Monseigneur: a Swiss Prog Folk band that's as obscure as a black dog at night in a coalhouse. Smile

1979: Monseigneur - Monseigneur - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqTKF_rjrZg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>