Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bubblemath - Turf Ascension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bubblemath - Turf Ascension
    Posted: July 25 2022 at 14:27
Turf Ascension has been out for awhile. What are your thoughts?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2022 at 15:28
Absolutely need to listen to it. The last one was awesome. (Sorry if you only want those replying who have already heard the new one. Wink)

Edited by Lewian - July 25 2022 at 15:28
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2022 at 15:32
Any reply is welcome. When you hear it post your comments.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2022 at 15:59
Listened to the two tracks that can be listened to for free on Bandcamp. Very nice. The first impression is that many more listenings are needed; as I know them, tracks are filled to the brim with ideas and twists and turns. To some others doing this kind of stuff I'd complain about the show off factor but Bubblemath are exceptionally good at making it work.

I'll quite certainly buy the album but have a few other things to do (and listen to) right now.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2022 at 16:48
I also only listened to the two streaming tracks and was quite a bit less enthused. Seemed to be alot less of what Bubblemath are all about/really good at. Trimmer, slower, less variety...I'll still get the album as their other two albums are quite good (and obviously I won't judge the album just based just on these two tracks), but first step is definitely underwhelmed. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2022 at 07:35
They climbed off the ledge and recorded a masterpiece!!!
The Prog Corner
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2022 at 08:47
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I also only listened to the two streaming tracks and was quite a bit less enthused. Seemed to be alot less of what Bubblemath are all about/really good at. Trimmer, slower, less variety...I'll still get the album as their other two albums are quite good (and obviously I won't judge the album just based just on these two tracks), but first step is definitely underwhelmed. 

This is similar to what I thought as well. It's on my list of things to purchase. Not sure when I'll get around to it. My CD budget is a bit thinner this year due to home repair projects.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
progsnobber View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote progsnobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2022 at 12:05
I think something to notice and remember is that there is more than just one thing Bubblemath does well. Yes they can be all ADHD schizo-crazy flip out, but they can also be very very very pretty and melodic. Plenty of examples of them being that way on both of their other albums. I thought the same thing as Man with the Hat and Progaardvark when I first heard the song ‘Everything’ and felt like hey this isn’t _MY_ Bubblemath but then I heard Refuse which knocked my socks off, so I bought the album and decided to experience Turf Ascension on its own terms as opposed to comparing it to my previously set expectations. For example I love Gentle Giant’s Cogs in Cogs and I love their Think of Me with Kindness, and the existence of one doesn’t ruin the existence of the other they can both exist and be great. And Turf Ascension is just magically spectacular that same way. There is no shortage of astonishingly mindbending bits all over the place. Believe me you don’t get the full picture just hearing those two free tracks alone. The first song is 18 minutes long and is a mindblowing ride. And the other song Decrypted goes places I’ve never heard any other band go. Another thing Bubblemath does so well is they can take strange chord progressions and make them sound like familiar pop hits, and this new album does this constantly and brilliantly all over the place. I think it is a brilliant ‘rekkid’ and sure it is maybe not as immediately hit you over the head with chaos as the most chaotic parts of Edit Peptide but there is _TONS_ of intricate insanity going on all over the place on Turf Ascension and the more I listen to it the more rewarding and jawdropping I realize it all is. My two cents :-)
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 09:15
I still have to purchase it. One of my all time faves. But everything sounded very promising. Like a much more mature variant of Bubblemath.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 09:40
Thanks for all the comments. It is a killer album that needs more exposure and discussion. "Surface Tension" the 18 minute opening track is my favorite song of the year. 
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 10:51
Smart, sophisticated, exquisitely layered... It is a masterpiece. I love it. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 20:29
This is on the "need to listen to" list.  I have enjoyed their previous releases.
 Post Reply Post Reply