Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plans on PA for becoming an all-music site?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2023 at 08:02
^ RYM is even better where every album can have multiple tags, primary and secondary.

Pink Floyd's The Wall for example has Rock Opera and Art Rock as primary

Symphonic Rock and progressive rock as secondary

It also allows descriptors such as misanthropic, concept album, pessimistic, philosophical etc

Add to that RYM has a music map and countless other features light years ahead of this site

Many of the prog acts that i've suggested on PA actually were found on RYM

RYM does suck at adding new prog artists and albums though.

THat's where PA is still clearly more relevant for contemporary prog fans

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2023 at 08:07
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ RYM is even better where every album can have multiple tags, primary and secondary.
It also allows descriptors such as misanthropic, concept album, pessimistic, philosophical etc

Add to that RYM has a music map and countless other features light years ahead of this site

I've never been drawn to RYM, I don't know why. The few things I've seen, i know they have multiple tags, and so on. 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2023 at 13:09
I would say the only drawback to tagging albums is that if the album is rather obscure, it's up to only a few people that know about it to submit tags. If these folks aren't knowledgeable of the genre hierarchy, they have a higher chance of having only broad genre tags or wrong tags. I've seen this on many RYM albums that have only been tagged by a handful of people and I've had to add additional tags I felt were missing. Where this tagging becomes more useful are on more well-known albums where misleading or wrong tags get outvoted by the more correct tags and the results are more reliable.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2023 at 17:31

Hi,

I imagine that this should be something that belongs in a biography or in a review, not in a decision as to where the music belongs?

Maybe that is something that we should do ... not add a band until we have a complete album REVIEW, and I mean a review, not a fan write up.

This is a hard discussion for my imagination ... I really can not think of anything that might or might not be better, or worse, although I think that a system that is more in order, that is lined up properly with its information, reviews and such ... so that one can learn more about the band. 

It's scary for me to see the listing of bands on PA that do not have reviews ... and in some cases the biography is not a good read at all.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2023 at 17:47

Symphonic Rock and progressive rock as secondary    What, no Psych?

It also allows descriptors such as misanthropic, concept album, pessimistic, philosophical etc    if that weren't a real thing I'd say it was a joke--  Pessimistic?  A Floyd album??  No!

Add to that RYM has a music map and countless other features light years ahead of this site    Is there a cruise for aging shut-ins?

Many of the prog acts that i've suggested on PA actually were found on RYM     That's adorable

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 00:17
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I've never been drawn to RYM, I don't know why. The few things I've seen, i know they have multiple tags, and so on. 
Me neither. One of the best things about PA is that we don't have multiple tags. Wink 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 00:18
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I would say the only drawback to tagging albums is that if the album is rather obscure, it's up to only a few people that know about it to submit tags. If these folks aren't knowledgeable of the genre hierarchy, they have a higher chance of having only broad genre tags or wrong tags. I've seen this on many RYM albums that have only been tagged by a handful of people and I've had to add additional tags I felt were missing. Where this tagging becomes more useful are on more well-known albums where misleading or wrong tags get outvoted by the more correct tags and the results are more reliable.

Well I've had a RYM-account for 15 years. And I get far more out of it than PA's database - which I don't use much at all anymore. RYM is more useful for all things prog as well. Wrong tags/genres is not a big issue on RYM. Maybe it's misleading or missing in 1 out of a 100 albums or so. On PA, as the one subgenre allowed often don't feel right in the first place, it's an issue all the time with just about every single band and artist with more than a couple of releases in their discography.

RYM doesn't have to invent "crossover prog" or "eclectic prog" either. In the Court of the Crimson King's main genre is simply Progressive Rock (followed by: Symphonic Prog, Jazz-Rock, Free Improvisation, Psychedelic Rock) while Discipline's main is Art Rock (followed by: Progressive Rock, New Wave
Avant-Prog). Certainly more informative than the rather useless Eclectic Prog-sub every single release has been placed under here.

I wouldn' be suprised if more than 50% of the albums on this site are placed in under a genre they have very little connection with. Think about it, The Beatles, Deep Purple, The Who... regardless of whether it's Please, Please Me, Perfect Stangers, Face Dances or among the say 10% relevant titles like Abbey Road, The Book of Taliesyn or Tommy - it's all just Proto-Prog at PA. And don't get me started wit Jazz-Rock Fusion.

-And where to find Fairport Convention and Vangelis again? Prog-Folk and Progressive Electronic perhaps? No they are both in the same place - in Prog-Related.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 04:31
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Actually, I think that allowing non-Prog artists in the whole PA forum is another step away from being only a Prog site
- whatever one might think about it.

Anyway, what I see as a problem is not if PA is expanding its musical scope, but if broadening much or confusing the definition 
and understanding of Prog. 

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 05:25
I give you David D, the Wynton Marsalis of Prog.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 05:42
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I had to look up Wynton Marsalis to understand the reference to David. Tongue
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 06:53

I'm not sure, I understand this reference, but I'm very dedicated to Prog and always do my best - the latter is the way of warrior according to Carlos Castaneda. Big smile

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 07:02

Now, I think I've got it when reading Wikipedia's article about Marsalis. 
A quote: "Marsalis has established himself as a lecturer and musical ambassador, having spoken and performed on every continent except Antarctica."
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wynton_Marsalis) 

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 07:10

I'm not sure, I understand this reference, but I'm very dedicated to Prog and always do my best - the latter is the way of warrior according to Carlos Castaneda. Big smile

Wynton Marsalis considers himself the gatekeeper of what is and more importantly what isn't jazz. He pretty much believes all developments post early 60's are not jazz. Unfortunately he a fairly influential position in control of the Jazz Program at the Lincoln Arts Center and is prone to making grand declarations. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 07:32

Wynton Marsalis considers himself the gatekeeper of what is and more importantly what isn't jazz. He pretty much believes all developments post early 60's are not jazz. Unfortunately he a fairly influential position in control of the Jazz Program at the Lincoln Arts Center and is prone to making grand declarations. 

I see what you did there. ApproveSmile
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 07:39

Well, what I think concerning definitions of Prog can be read in this blog of mine

with the latest updates.

Edited by David_D - February 09 2023 at 06:33
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 09:29
I'm waiting for Wynton to play in Antarctica. Alas, that is always the hardest one to complete the collection of continents.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 09:52
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I'm waiting for Wynton to play in Antarctica. Alas, that is always the hardest one to complete the collection of continents.

Whatever, I'm quite sure, I won't go there. Big smile

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2023 at 04:04

Something else, I think, I'm only expressing thoughts not so few are thinking. Ermm
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 09:54

Considering what has been going on in the Progressive Lounges in the last half a year, I certainly don't think, this thread has lost 
its actuality. As I see it, the problems are not least that it's not to know what one can expect to meet in the Progressive Lounges, 
and how to act there in a proper way. In short, it's a mess. Confused
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 12:07

Considering what has been going on in the Progressive Lounges in the last half a year, I certainly don't think, this thread has lost 
its actuality. As I see it, the problems are not least that it's not to know what one can expect to meet in the Progressive Lounges, 
and how to act there in a proper way. In short, it's a mess. Confused

The premise of the thread is all wrong. 

If you think a thread is in the wrong section of the forum, and prove it is (obviously), write an admin and if the complaint makes sense to them, they will move the thread where it fits better. I wrote admins about that, and when I was right, the thread got moved. 

(you are the only user complaining about this thread - https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131981&PID=6107570#6107570)

Also just because ONE thread is in the wrong place, it does not mean the whole section of the forum is a mess. Let's do not exaggerate. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>