0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Posted: August 16 2022 at 13:26
F♯A♯∞ (2 track LP, 1997, 3 track CD, 1998) 1,2, 3
Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada E.P.  (1999) 4, 5
Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven! (2000) 6, 7, 8, 9
Yanqui U.X.O. (2002) 19, 11, 12, 13
'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! (2012) 14, 15
'Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress' (2015) 16, 17
"Luciferian Towers" (2017) 18, 19
G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END! (2021) 20, 21

I think every single track included in the poll is great actually, but their first three releases somehow feel more important and essential to me (and probably to most). Maybe they are, or maybe it's just because I heard them first. If you don't know their music yet you should do something about it. Their music is beautiful, intense and cathartic. One of a kind although I can't think of any existing band out there that has more copycats than GY!BE. But "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and some of them do a decent job at it.

There wasn't room for everything they've ever recorded, so I dropped the seven tracks in thir discog lasting less than ten minutes (not counting the 26 tracks on their 1994-cassette).

Edited by Saperlipopette! - August 19 2022 at 00:02
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2022 at 13:44
I haven't heard all of these. The first Godspeed album I got into was Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven! And then F♯A♯∞, then Yanqui U.X.O. (which I haven't heard for a long time). Without revisiting now, and I have been listening to Godspeed of late, I went with "Storm".
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2022 at 14:09
Providence gets my vote.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2022 at 16:14
I haven't heard the 2015 and 2017 releases (I should, I know) and was somewhat disappointed by the 2021 one, but I really love their earlier material. I vote for Static over Dead Flag Blues, but I agree that all (before 2015) are ultimately great.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2022 at 18:01
Not possible to choose. 

I'll toss a vote to Mladic to do something. 

Edited by Man With Hat - August 16 2022 at 18:01
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2022 at 20:18
I agree it's really difficult to pick one. I could choose differently at any time. My vote today goes to East Hastings.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2022 at 23:08
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I haven't heard the 2015 and 2017 releases (I should, I know) and was somewhat disappointed by the 2021 one, but I really love their earlier material. I vote for Static over Dead Flag Blues, but I agree that all (before 2015) are ultimately great.
I've been a little undecided-or on the fence with basically all of their post-comeback albums actually. They've had less impact on me than their earliest "classics" that's for sure. Pre-millenium GY!BE made music that felt like it was of great importance, both to me as a listener and to the performing musicians themselves. The rambling maniacs, the sounds from the streets and all things added to their extremely patient, slowly building ascending/descending compositions made the whole experience feel larger than life. Most if not all of the armada of bands from all over the world that took inspiration from their sound, lack these elements that made GY!BE so special. So unique.

Now the strange thing about their "new" quartet of albums is that they've all felt somewhat dissapointing to me at some stage (on second listen in particular). But upon revisiting maybe after a year or two, I usually end up asking myself "what was my problem again? - this is great!". When I get back to F♯A♯∞, LYSFLAtH... - I'm reminded of what isn't there anymore though. -Still, while I'm in the midst of listening, it's all great - even overwhelmingly great. That's what matters the most.

Btw: That said my biggest frustration is with Luciferian Towers. Which features parts of what should or could have been their ultimate post-comeback magnum opus known from their live sets as 2 Nouveau Tower. As a studio version they split it into Fam/Famine + Undoing a Luciferian Towers. Also it's played in reverse order as track 3 and 1. Anticlimatic to say the least. In the CD-age those two combined would surely been the 20 minute+ monster epic it was always meant to be... now it's not even in the poll:(  

Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 02:14
Can't understand why this band gets overlooked by prog fans who tend to salivate over their much less interesting compatriots, Rush.  My introduction was Yanqui U.X.O and I was amazed.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 02:18
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Can't understand why this band gets overlooked by prog fans who tend to salivate over their much less interesting compatriots, Rush.  My introduction was Yanqui U.X.O and I was amazed.

two very different bands, i think both bands are respected and appreciated in their own way. 
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 03:00
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

two very different bands, i think both bands are respected and appreciated in their own way. 

I think I still suffer from having Rush rammed down my throat as a 14 year old in the form of the execrable 2112!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 05:32

My introduction was Yanqui U.X.O and I was amazed.
I had all their three previous releases in my collection before I got to this one. So it was actually a little dissapointing at first. Not anymore though. Over the years listening to this, I feel like this the most compostionally interesting and sophisticated release. A mature work - which is not a bad thing. I now feel that its the perfect conclusion of their first era.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 11:41

Can't understand why this band gets overlooked by prog fans
It's interesting to compare. At PA we're lucky if we get this poll to a second page. This is how the music fans at RYM rate this band: Only Beatles, Radiohead, Pink Floyd and King Crimson and a couple more are "bigger"

Edited by Saperlipopette! - August 17 2022 at 11:43
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 13:02
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Can't understand why this band gets overlooked by prog fans
It's interesting to compare. At PA we're lucky if we get this poll to a second page. This is how the music fans at RYM rate this band: Only Beatles, Radiohead, Pink Floyd and King Crimson and a couple more are "bigger"

Then we get into the question of what is prog rock... c'est la vie, as the late, great Greg Lake once sang...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 13:09

Then we get into the question of what is prog rock... c'est la vie, as the late, great Greg Lake once sang...
Do we? How?
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 15:12
I can't vote.

Their song titles mean nothing to me, yet their music means everything to me.
Imagine that!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 15:14
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

I can't vote.

Imagine that!

I was actually in the same situation; I had to quickly check what is what before I voted.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 16:06
Static gets my vote

Amazing band
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 19:19

F# U# ∞

Edited by rushfan4 - August 17 2022 at 19:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 22:53
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

I can't vote.

Imagine that!

I was actually in the same situation; I had to quickly check what is what before I voted.
Same here. Besides these are their actual full titles (and they're sometimes change from release to release)
-
(Dead Flag Blues)*
Bleak, Uncertain, Beautiful...
- "...Nothing's Alrite in Our Life..." / Dead Flag Blues (Reprise)
- The Sad Mafioso...
- Kicking Horse on Brokenhill
- String Loop Manufactured During Downpour...

Antennas to Heaven
i. Moya Sings "Baby-O"...
ii. Edgyswingsetacid
iii. (Glockenspiel Duet Recorded on a Campsite in Rhinebeck, N.Y.)
iv. "Attention... Mon ami... Fa-Lala-Lala-La-La..." (55-St. Laurent)
v. She Dreamt She Was a Bulldozer, She Dreamt She Was Alone in an Empty Field
vi. Deathkamp Drone
vii. (Antennas to Heaven...)

A Military Alphabet (five eyes all blind) (4521.0kHz 6730.0kHz 4109.09kHz) / Job’s Lament / First of the Last Glaciers / where we break how we shine (ROCKETS FOR MARY)

Sometime in between Lift Yr. Skinny... & Yanqui U.X.O. they even changed their name from Godspeed You Black Emperor! to Godspeed You! Black Emperor

*originally not written as a main title
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 03:20
I've liked pretty much everything they have done, although Yanqui UXO has always been the runt of the litter for me, but the album I return to most is Lift Yr Skinny Fists. On this occasion Sleep gets my vote.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>