Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Symphonic metal.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Symphonic metal.
    Posted: October 26 2022 at 00:32
Sometimes I see tagged as "symphonic" metal albums that consists just of unrelated regular, or somewhat neoclassical, metal tracks with some strings sparsely present at the background. But this is not what I particularly enjoy.

I'm seeking after overly pompous, ambitious projects with interconnected songs, lush orchestration and greater than life scope. Examples (edited to include just my favorite ones, so you get a better idea):

Edited by edefakiel - November 18 2022 at 14:49
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2022 at 01:54
I don't know who can help you with that. Maybe Brandan (Necrotica) or Gordy.

I don't think three of the bands you mention here are symphonic metal (AAI, Devin and Gorguts), but then it's just my opinion. 
Here is a list of symphonic death metal bands you could explore, maybe you find something interesting, you might enjoy. 

You might enjoy this band
Winds

I'll get back to this if I remember any band that fits your description. Smile

Edited by Cristi - October 26 2022 at 02:01
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2022 at 01:58
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I don't know who can help you with that. Maybe Brandan (Necrotica) or Gordy.

I don't think three of the bands you mention here are symphonic metal (AAI, Devin and Gorguts), but then it's just my opinion. 
Here is a list of symphonic death metal bands you could explore, maybe you find something interesting, you might enjoy). 

You might enjoy this band
Winds

I'll get back to this if I remember any band that fits your description. Smile

The first band of that list is just what I'm talking about when I say that something doesn't sound symphonic to me despite having strings. SepticFlesh is really good, but doesn't seem inspired by classical and romantic elements in the same way that something like Empath is. 

I will listen to Winds, thank you.

If those bands I mentioned are not symphonic, nothing is.

Edited by edefakiel - October 26 2022 at 02:00
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2022 at 22:34
I'm guessing you know and don't consider symphonic enough Epica, Nightwish, Within Temptation, After Forever, Tristania, Therion, Rhapsody of Fire? I would think in most of their albums they have a bit more than just a few strings in the background... and some of their albums do have interconnected songs... at least thematically if not musically.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2022 at 03:08
Time Requiem, with enough loans from Mozart and Bach to make you question at times if you arent indeed listening to a metal interpretation of classical music.

Rhapsody? 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2022 at 05:04
Symphonic Metal bands on Prog Archives:-

After Forever
Epica
Kamelot
Kingfisher Sky
Nightwish
Rhapsody of Fire
Therion
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2022 at 05:33
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I'm guessing you know and don't consider symphonic enough Epica, Nightwish, Within Temptation, After Forever, Tristania, Therion, Rhapsody of Fire? I would think in most of their albums they have a bit more than just a few strings in the background... and some of their albums do have interconnected songs... at least thematically if not musically.

Maybe I choose unwisely my words. All those bands are really good... They are just not the kind of greater than life, ambitious music that I seek. The albums I mentioned evoque some response that I only get from Mozart, Schubert, Brahms, Dvorak, Wagner... I don't know how to explain it. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 23:28
Originally posted by edefakiel edefakiel wrote:

Maybe I choose unwisely my words. All those bands are really good... They are just not the kind of greater than life, ambitious music that I seek. The albums I mentioned evoque some response that I only get from Mozart, Schubert, Brahms, Dvorak, Wagner... I don't know how to explain it. 

I don't know so many of the bands you mentioned. I do know Wilderun, though not their last album. I know Sleep at the Edge of the Earth, and I mostly find the epic really something special (despite the fact I'm not really fond of growling)... I think I gave the next album a listen and didn't do much for me. I also do Know Empath... and I do love some Devin Townsend, but I didn't find that albus as greater than life... from the little I have heard of him, I do love Terria much more, but I believe there must be other albums from around that period (00's I guess) that should be just as great. From the ones I mentioned, from Within Temptation I find Mother Earth to be among my favourite albums overall and think is something really special. From Nightwish it's Imaginaerum. And from Therion Secret of the Runes. Otherwise, it's mostly the collection of songs throughout their discographies more than some particular albums.
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 10:57
I just discovered this:

Which is completely in line with what I'm searching for. 

Edited by edefakiel - November 05 2022 at 11:05
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 11:26
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 13:46
Since you brought up "Wilderun," here's Orphaned Land. They are so similar I cannot not recommend them to you.
Their album The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR is very similar to Epigone in my opinion, but UPaDM above is their "pompous" and "lush" album lol

All is One is even more symphonic than UPaDM, but I don't like it as much.

And while the symphonic elements are quite developed yet, ORwarriOR, as stated above is basically as pompous as and progressive as it gets, similar to Epigone, hence the comparison:

Edited by bardberic - November 05 2022 at 14:21
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 13:57
How about Aeternam? I think this is just what you're looking for:

MaYan, Mark Jansen from Epica's side project takes it up a level from Epica in pretension:

How could I forget Amaseffer? This is about as lush and pompous as it gets! My number one recommendation here:

This single by ERSEDU, an up and coming band from Ukraine is a high recommendation. They were supposed to "re"-debut this year, but due to some, ahem, geopolitical issues, that doesn't seem plausible now, unfortunately:
The rest of the EP is worth checking out, but it's not as grandiose as this one:

There's Winterhorde, too. One of my absolute favorite albums ever:

Fleshgod Apocalypse?:

Too bad it's f**king brickwalled lol

That should do it for now :)

Edited by bardberic - November 05 2022 at 15:05
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 15:13

What you want is symphonic death metal, industrial death metal (the two make up atmospheric death metal), and atmospheric sludge metal.

Try Septicflesh, the Monolith Deathcult, and Neurosis, respectively.

In the post above, ERSEDU and Fleshgod Apocalypse are the best recs.

Edited by bardberic - November 05 2022 at 15:16
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 23:59
Thanks, bardberic, I'm slowly listening to your recommendations. I wasn't expecting to hear microtonalism and Sephardic influences in symphonic metal. I can say that I'm pleasantly surprised. One day I must open a thread about microtonalist prog. 
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 01:09

Edited by edefakiel - November 06 2022 at 01:19
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 07:05

Thanks, bardberic, I'm slowly listening to your recommendations. I wasn't expecting to hear microtonalism and Sephardic influences in symphonic metal. I can say that I'm pleasantly surprised. One day I must open a thread about microtonalist prog. 

Well it's more Mizrachi than Sephardic, but yes.

In any case let's also try Diablo Swing Orchestra. It's a bit of a different approach but still "truly symphonic:"

https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe257tS-1d4&list=PLrt9SDnUYUmKE7-BXQGnh9zNDObWP4aNq&index=1

If you liked that there's that one f**king Accented Sevenfold song lol:
A Little Piece of Heaven

This is not for what you're looking (which is why I'm not embedding it), but this performance by Unlucky Morpheus is worth checking out:
Quadratum

I also don't know how I managed to miss X Japan's Art of Life; this is the holy grail of for what you're looking!:

I'm stopping it here because Art of Life is the peak of "truly symphonic metal." It does not get better than that lmao

(I'll probably add more later lol)

Edited by bardberic - November 06 2022 at 07:55
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 17:36
Okay I found one more that I think you'll love:

You'll find lots of good stuff here.

Edited by bardberic - November 06 2022 at 17:44
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 20:08
I have a Rhapsody of Fire album that is pretty symphonic sounding. What about Angra?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2022 at 09:09
ColdWorld
This German atmospheric black metal band has symphonic elements. Smile
SambaTisst View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SambaTisst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 00:17
It must be this, bal sagoth:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=2Su7AgQZzl0&feature=share

Edited by SambaTisst - November 14 2022 at 00:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>