Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal albums with incorrect genre labels on PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metal albums with incorrect genre labels on PA
    Posted: January 02 2023 at 00:35
Hi. Smile Could you guys list for me the metal albums that have been mislabeled with an incorrect genre on Prog Archives? When I listen to King Crimson's album "Red", it sounds like metal to me. But the album is in the "eclectic prog" category on PA. Same goes for their album "The Power To Believe". Also, Opeth's album "Damnation" as well as some of their other albums are incorrectly in the "Tech/Extreme Prog Metal" category. Those particular albums, while still being heavy, don't even have any growled vocals. Personally, I'm not into growled vocals, and I try to find great metal that doesn't have much growled vocals. I'm just trying to discover some great heavy albums that are excluded from the all time best progressive metal albums chart. Thanks in advance for your help! Smile 

Edit: IQ's albums "Dark Matter" and "The Seventh House" have a pretty heavy sound despite being labeled "Neo-Prog".

Edited by cold103 - January 02 2023 at 00:55
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 00:55
I see what you're getting at; however, once a band is labeled in a certain genre category, all of their albums fall under the same umbrella for the site. So even though Damnation by Opeth is more of a soft rock/prog album, it's still in the same tech/extreme category because EVERY Opeth album is under that umbrella. It's a bit of an odd rule, however, and I'm glad that our sister site Metal Music Archives went with a different format; that is, categorizing each album differently genre-wise Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 01:22
Originally posted by cold103 cold103 wrote:

Hi. Smile Could you guys list for me the metal albums that have been mislabeled with an incorrect genre on Prog Archives? When I listen to King Crimson's album "Red", it sounds like metal to me. But the album is in the "eclectic prog" category on PA. Same goes for their album "The Power To Believe". Also, Opeth's album "Damnation" as well as some of their other albums are incorrectly in the "Tech/Extreme Prog Metal" category. Those particular albums, while still being heavy, don't even have any growled vocals. I'm just trying to discover some great heavy albums that are excluded from the all time best progressive metal albums chart. Thanks in advance! Smile 

Edit: IQ's albums "Dark Matter" and "The Seventh House" have a pretty heavy sound despite being labeled "Neo-Prog".
PA places a bands entire discography in one genre - which is why an album like Damnation ends up in the same sub-genre as all of Gorguts' albums. I'd reccomend you go through the customized Progressive Metal chart at RYM 

The Power to Believe is probably prog metal, but I don't agree that Red is. Not everything that "goes hard" is metal.
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 01:35
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

PA places a bands entire discography in one genre - which is why an album like Damnation ends up in the same sub-genre as all of Gorguts' albums. I'd reccomend you go through the customized Progressive Metal chart at RYM 

The Power to Believe is probably prog metal, but I don't agree that Red is. Not everything that "goes hard" is metal.
Maybe you're right about "Red", but still, I'd appreciate recommendations of heavy albums like "Red" Smile I'll check out the chart you mentioned Smile

Edited by cold103 - January 02 2023 at 01:35
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 03:00
"Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two" is a good, heavy song.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 09:23
IMO, 21st Century Schizoid Man may be the first prog metal song. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 11:09
If you like Red era KC, check out Anekdoten and ni.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 12:53
There is angry firse guitar in In Heldd Twas n I by Procol Harum also not bonefied heavy the entire way through, but section inwise its boilingly hot and heavy.

Edited by Icarium - January 02 2023 at 12:54
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 13:16

I'm just trying to discover some great heavy albums that are excluded from the all time best progressive metal albums chart.

Bi Kyo Ran's Bi Kyo Ran (very KC influenced)

certainly Anekdoten's Vemod and Nucleus 

Mars Volta's DeLoused and Frances the Mute

Taal's Skymind (very much like Prog Metal)

Il Balletto Di Bronzo's Ys

Edited by David_D - January 02 2023 at 13:53
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 15:46

Steel Mill - Green Eyed God
Procession - Frontiera
Amon Düül II - Yeti

Then you can have a look at the Heavy Prog chart. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 16:07
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Only if WarChild may be the first prog metal album.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 16:13

Hi. Smile Could you guys list for me the metal albums that have been mislabeled with an incorrect genre on Prog Archives? When I listen to King Crimson's album "Red", it sounds like metal to me. But the album is in the "eclectic prog" category on PA. Same goes for their album "The Power To Believe". Also, Opeth's album "Damnation" as well as some of their other albums are incorrectly in the "Tech/Extreme Prog Metal" category. Those particular albums, while still being heavy, don't even have any growled vocals. Personally, I'm not into growled vocals, and I try to find great metal that doesn't have much growled vocals. I'm just trying to discover some great heavy albums that are excluded from the all time best progressive metal albums chart. Thanks in advance for your help! Smile 

You may be confusing 'Heavy' with 'Metal', two completely different sounds though both guitar-based and both derived from Blues.   Red is heavy, but bears no resemblance to Metal, did not influence metal, and is rarely detected in modern metal/prog metal.   I'll get flack for that but it's mostly true.  People hear the guitar levels on that album and assume it relates to Heavy Metal as a subgenre... nor Power to Believe, though an incredible record, has nothing to do with heavy metal.   Further, IQ is about as far from progmetal as Michael Bublé .

Edited by Atavachron - January 02 2023 at 16:13
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 16:58
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Only if WarChild may be the first prog metal album.

Or the first Rush album.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 17:19
^ Progmetal?   That's grumpy.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 18:50

You may be confusing 'Heavy' with 'Metal', two completely different sounds though both guitar-based and both derived from Blues.   Red is heavy, but bears no resemblance to Metal, did not influence metal, and is rarely detected in modern metal/prog metal.   I'll get flack for that but it's mostly true.  People hear the guitar levels on that album and assume it relates to Heavy Metal as a subgenre... nor Power to Believe, though an incredible record, has nothing to do with heavy metal.   Further, IQ is about as far from progmetal as Michael Bublé .

I agree that RED isn't metal but i disagree that it hasn't influenced metal. Many of the more dissonant bands in the extreme metal category were heavily influenced by RED. Metal isn't just the blues based heavy metal of the 80s any more :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 19:07
^ Yes, but I would argue a band like NeBeLNeST who are not metal [and not because PA or anyone else says so] but who do show evidence of a Red-period KC influence are more representative of that album's impact than the metal bands that come to mind, from trad Trash [Exodus] to trad PM [Voivod] to modern PM [Opeth] to Extremists [Jarzombek] .

Edited by Atavachron - January 02 2023 at 19:07
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 19:24
^ i would say bands like Anekdoten are direct descendants of RED but many of the dissonant black and death metal bands were clearly inspired by RED. Think Gorguts, Deathspell Omega etc. RED allowed a free form avant-garde ethos to be adopted in heavy music. Pretty much all metal sites consider RED to be proto-metal, proto prog metal even!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 00:06

^ Yes, but I would argue a band like NeBeLNeST who are not metal [and not because PA or anyone else says so] but who do show evidence of a Red-period KC influence are more representative of that album's impact than the metal bands that come to mind, from trad Trash [Exodus] to trad PM [Voivod] to modern PM [Opeth] to Extremists [Jarzombek] .

I saw NeBeLNeST in a club in Chicago in 1999, they were amazing!!  Whatever became of them?  

They certainly had a King Crimson vibe!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 01:56
^ One of my favorites from the 00's  -

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 03:48

And the man has just asked for suggestions of "heavy albums" which are not classified as Prog Metal? Ermm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>