Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can you remember the first ever prog rock band you
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can you remember the first ever prog rock band you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 03:08
ELP. Didn't like prog rock as it was pretty tedious and long and didn't get to the point quickly enough. I only liked ELP because they of the keyboard stacks and massive drum set. Yey they looked amazingly cool in that Fanfare video with the split knee jeans and bomber jackets. Genesis on the other hand had some weird baldy guy wearing Hawaian shirts and Yes , well just don't go there. Floyd were a snooze fest and nothing else was on the radar for me in 1977.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 02:22
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yes, I think I remember. Tongue

Yes, I remember too, but only after 9:01:25 Tongue
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 02:16
There was a part in my OP which i didnt emphasise enough and i should have done.  

One thing that i was particually interested in was, was the first ever prog rock band that you all got into, was a result of you thinking "i wanna give this prog rock genre a go, what band from that field shall i give a chance to first?", or was it a case of, you never went purposely hunting, you just so happend to get into that band because someone or some thing put it infront of you and you just decided you liked it, and then the prog rock band hunting started after that?

Im getting the impression that not many people got into prog rock because of the former circumstances.

And yeah, getting into a prog related band first might have been that first step for many people.  You get into Asia, you decide you like them, you find out that John Wetton, Carl Palmer, Geoff Downes and Steve Rowe were part of prog rock bands, and then you check them bands out.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 22:04
Now that enigmatic is off his soapbox... LOL

My journey started with... well, Journey. Their Greatest Hits Live album was my very first record as a kid, and eventually that led me to discovering the rest of their discog; of course, that resulted in me discovering their first three albums, which were in more of a fusion/prog vein. From there, I started getting into Queen's proggier albums such as Queen II and A Night at the Opera, which only intrigued me further; I absolutely loved all the weird time sigs and multi-layered compositions, as well as Freddie Mercury's sense of drama and bombast. 

However, the real launching pad past this point was Rush. Journey and Queen led me to them, and once I got to albums like A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres, I knew I was tackling a different beast altogether. Extended suites, epic narratives inspired by program music, the incredible instrumental prowess of the trio... I was mesmerized. And from there, I discovered all the major English prog bands... Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Van Der Graaf Generator, the works Smile

But still, it's funny to think that Journey started it all for me Tongue
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 21:15
And we are back to having to decide which bands were truly prog rock in the past..............Wink
I was listening to Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Zep,  Zappa, etc,,,, but when I heard ITCOTCK in April of 1970....it blew me away.. so I suppose that was the first one that really made a huge impression.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 20:07
I think that it was probably Foreigner.  Hot Blooded and Double Vision are the first rock songs that I remember hearing and liking in school.  Someone brought in a 45 with those songs on it and we would play it a lot during lunch hour and maybe before class.  Too long ago to really remember.  AC/DC was kind of in the mix with Back in Black.  The first records that I asked for as a present were Def Leppard's Pyromania and Quiet Riot's Metal Health.  Judas Priest were the first band that I can remember labelling as "my favorite".  

The first prog band I liked was Rush, and they've been my favorite band ever since.

Edited by rushfan4 - January 19 2023 at 20:08
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 19:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Yes, I can remember.

Yes, I can remember too. It was The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed, long before I realised it's the very first Symphonic Prog album about fifty years in the future. Smile

Did you see the cover of the latest PROG magazine? There was something on it about them being the first progressive rock band. Wink

I assume the one with Robert Fripp on the cover?
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 19:04

Yes, I can remember.

Yes, I can remember too. It was The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed, long before I realised it's the very first Symphonic Prog album about fifty years in the future. Smile

Days of Future Passed is NOT symphonic prog. There is nothing symphonic about this album. Why can't you read my post in latest David's post? Can't you guys get the facts straight?
London Festival Orchestra and members of Moody Blues were never in the recording studio together. This is nothing but bunch of pop-songs mixed with classical interludes played by symphonic orchestra.
The orchestra and the band never played together.
The classical pieces were arranged by Peter Knight, the orchestra's conductor. Moody Blues was never part of progressive rock movement.

Edited by enigmatic - January 19 2023 at 20:56
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 18:17

Yes, I can remember.

Did you see the cover of the latest PROG magazine? There was something on it about them being the first progressive rock band. Wink
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 18:15
Yes, I think I remember. Tongue
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 18:04
Yes Yes
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 17:18
Gotta be Rush Hemispheres, bought it when I was ten because I liked the cover.  

Edited by Atavachron - January 19 2023 at 17:26
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 16:58
No, I cannot remember....
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 16:55

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

That's very interesting to hear here, as we didn't get it in the thread "The Best Progressive Rock band from the '60s?", where we discussed which were the first Prog albums ever. Big smile
I think you'll find I did mention The Moody Blues there, in my A-Z list. Wink

Yes, as one of the 26 "Most Influential Sixties Bands". Wink

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 16:51
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Of course I can, I'm not THAT old yet.

Or am I ???

Is that really you, JD? Anyway, sexy garment. Tongue

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 16:29
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

That's very interesting to hear here, as we didn't get it in the thread "The Best Progressive Rock band from the '60s?", where we discussed which were the first Prog albums ever. Big smile
I think you'll find I did mention The Moody Blues there, in my A-Z list. Wink
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:53
Of course I can, I'm not THAT old yet.

Or am I ???
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:52

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:49
Manfred Mann's Earth Band.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:46
Pink Floyd.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>