Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Republican Thunderdome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2024 at 17:22
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Hi,

I think that the Republicans think that dysfunction is t their advantage, since it takes logic and understanding out of the equation, and this gives them a better chance. In the end, if it all starts to crumble, and it will soon enough when Mr. T is not there anymore, it will likely create a situation for a party that ... has lost its way, and will, likely, have a hard time, getting new votes.

But, America is tough, and not having an alternate media that actually speaks hurts ... and I don't know that folks appreciate that ... the 60's, at least, had a lot of alternative publications that really helped a lot of artists, musicians, writers ... only to all of them being crushed in the next 10 years. The best, and most interesting example was The LA Free Press, which you could almost say was the main reason why Frank Zappa was noticed in the first place, and then ... here came VietNam ... and .... 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 02:22
So, let me try to understand this: Republicans denounce an abortion ban they once supported, but block an effort to repeal this same ban... Ermm

Do they still know themselves what they stand for? Or: do voters know what the GOP stands for?

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 05:14

So, let me try to understand this: Republicans denounce an abortion ban they once supported, but block an effort to repeal this same ban... Ermm

Do they still know themselves what they stand for? Or: do voters know what the GOP stands for?

Grotesquely Obsolete Policies

Edited by JD - April 12 2024 at 05:15
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 07:11
When Roe v Wade was overturned, abortion was not outlawed.  It puts decisions on abortion laws in the hands of individual states. 

Most Republican Representatives/Senators are part of the DEM/GOP uni-party. What's that got to do with abortion?  Allow me to digress...

Senator Lindsey Graham is a uni-party Republican.  He votes with the Democrats for more war, billions for Ukraine, and spying on Americans. Non-uni-party Republican, Senator Rand Paul always votes opposite of Graham on those issues.  Graham said, "Fight to the last Ukrainian".  Last election, Graham sabotaged Republican party elections.  How?  Right before the elections, Graham tried to put forth legislation to outlaw all abortions. 
 https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/13/sen-lindsey-graham-introduces-bill-to-ban-most-abortions-nationwide-after-15-weeks.html

Graham knew that threatening to outlaw abortions nationwide would get pro-abortion Democrats off the sofa and out to vote in droves. It worked. Graham would rather Democrats control Congress than anti-war Republicans. Graham doesn't worry about his Senate seat...he gets voted in every six years, and Graham won't run again till 2026. Graham went quiet after the 2022 elections, but he's back, pulling the same trick. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lindsey-graham-says-trump-making-013903642.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Trump's stance? Leave abortion decisions up to the States.  Graham wants to sabotage Trump and anti-war Republicans by endorsing a draconian nationwide abortion ban.  

Bottom line. There are huge divisions within the Republican party.  Keri Lake and Graham have different agendas even though they both have a R behind their name.  Graham wants Lake to lose.  
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 15:37
^ Fascinating perspective. One can only hope it's correct.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 20:12
^^I guess I hit the nail on the head when I choose the name of this thread. Big smile
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 21:07
These right-wing champions fighting for freedom are apparently among those who want to reduce freedom.

This sort of thing confuses me about the concept of freedom in the USA.

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 21:10
^ It's the freedom to be an ignorant, corrupt jackass.

On the other hand, if you knew what Sununu...

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 06:57
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ It's the freedom to be an ignorant, corrupt jackass.

On the other hand, if you knew what Sununu...

Hi,

Also, the misinformation is a serious problem because there is no media to help you figure it out, which only makes things worse still.

I have no issue with states making their own decisions ... but I do with one serious problem ... so one state is Republican this time, and in the next time becomes Democrat, and  they change all the laws back to before the Republicans used their hands ... and then it will change again ... and again ... and this needs a system of checks and balances to resolve the issue, not just put it in the hands of the states and the Supreme Court should wake up to that ... and soon ... or their relevance will lose even more points, for being selfish, stupid and over rated, because of a person that wanted to dismantle the Constitution. (I do think its wording needs some cleaning up ... to bring it more up to date, but in the end, it will disrupt and hurt the laws on the land, which each state will not agree on at all!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 07:05
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

These right-wing champions fighting for freedom are apparently among those who want to reduce freedom.

This sort of thing confuses me about the concept of freedom in the USA.

Both the Democrat and Republican uni-party wish to reduce freedom in the USA.  The Republicans use a significant portion of their citizen base to cheer for reducing liberal freedoms.  The Democrats use a significant portion of their citizen base to cheer for reducing conservative freedoms.  

Citizens on both sides, who are fooled into cheering for their team are part of the problem. Uninformed citizens give their side permission to shut down freedoms on the other side.  They don't realize that they enable tyranny...which will eventually be turned against them.  

That said, there is a minority of politicians on both sides who are NOT members of the uni-party. It takes effort and research to figure out which politicians are for the American people.  To do so, Democrat and Republican citizens must put aside their biases.  

Regular people from the opposite party are NOT your enemy. Your enemy is the elite rich who drain resources and freedoms from the people. Wink 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 16 2024 at 07:13
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 07:21
The fact there's a dedicated thread for basically venting about a specific United States political party... on an international Progressive Rock forum, and it's 7 pages long now is just hilarious.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 05:06
This guy understands how Congressional Republicans self-sabotage.  He discusses how Democrats might take control of the House before the 2024 elections.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 17 2024 at 05:07
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 05:16
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Both the Democrat and Republican uni-party wish to reduce freedom in the USA.  
If they really were a uniparty, why is there still so much freedom that they still need to reduce? Couldn't they have set the level of freedom at what they desire already in the last x hundred years?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 05:22
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

If they really were a uniparty, why is there still so much freedom that they still need to reduce? Couldn't they have set the level of freedom at what they desire already in the last x hundred years?

Before I answer your questions...What is your definition of freedom?  Could you be specific and/or clarify your second question?  I don't understand the second question.Wink
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 05:36

Before I answer your questions...What is your definition of freedom?  Could you be specific and/or clarify your second question?  I don't understand the second question.Wink
I'm making reference to your quote, so for the sake of answering my question I'm happy to go with your definition of freedom. My point is, assuming that uni-party stuff is true, the uni-party must have had a lot of power for a very long time. So my question is, if this is so, why didn't they use that power in a way that they wouldn't need to worry about too much freedom now (which they  according to your statement apparently do)?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 06:23

I'm making reference to your quote, so for the sake of answering my question I'm happy to go with your definition of freedom. My point is, assuming that uni-party stuff is true, the uni-party must have had a lot of power for a very long time. So my question is, if this is so, why didn't they use that power in a way that they wouldn't need to worry about too much freedom now (which they  according to your statement apparently do)?

Can you imagine 1950s America accepting a COVID lockdown and all that went with it?  Folks losing jobs and getting arrested on a beach, defying the lockdown. Can you imagine 1950s America accepting "story time drag hour" or children's sex changes?  America's demographics were different then. Most folks attended church.  Are you familiar with the concept of boiling a frog?  

It goes like this:  If you toss a frog in boiling water, the frog will jump out of the water.  However, if you put a frog in lukewarm water and slowly turn the temperature up one degree at a time...The frog won't notice until it's too late.  I don't know if it's true for a frog, but it's a solid analogy.  The "boiling frog analogy" describes human behavior. Wink 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 06:50

Can you imagine 1950s America accepting a COVID lockdown and all that went with it?  Folks losing jobs and getting arrested on a beach, defying the lockdown. Can you imagine 1950s America accepting "story time drag hour" or children's sex changes?
Can you imagine geocentric Egyptians sending a manned mission to the Moon circa 1340 BC?

Originally posted by oompaloompapenis oompaloompapenis wrote:

It goes like this: If you toss a frog in boiling water, the frog will jump out of the water. However, if you put a frog in lukewarm water and slowly turn the temperature up one degree at a time...The frog won't notice until it's too late. I don't know if it's true for a frog, but it's a solid analogy. The "boiling frog analogy" describes human behavior.
IMHO the difference is that in the case of the frog experiment, there's an autocratic control center that adjusts the temperature of the water. But in terms of the society, there isn't one. The metaphorical changing temperature of the water in this case is a result of a series of collective decisions choses by a popular consensus. Another difference is that there are also countless other varaibles happening along with the "water warming up", including shifting trends and paradigms. I think the fact "the frog" adapts to the changes is actually a good thing. Especially since there are catastrophes which can't be stopped, like the global warming, or the rise of generative AI.

Edited by Hrychu - April 17 2024 at 07:01
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 06:55
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Can you imagine 1950s America accepting a COVID lockdown and all that went with it?  Folks losing jobs and getting arrested on a beach, defying the lockdown. Can you imagine 1950s America accepting "story time drag hour" or children's sex changes?
Can you imagine geocentric Egyptians sending a manned mission to the Moon circa 1340 BC?

No.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 07:20
Well, in the 50s there was McCarthyism for example. Not sure what your take is on "story time drag hour" or children's sex changes regarding freedom (I hadn't even known what "story time drag hour" is before looking it up, not sure whether everyone in the US - where I am not - knows that), and I have honestly no idea what would have happened in case of COVID. We can speculate a lot, but my view would be some things were more and some less free back then, which doesn't really resonate with the frog story.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 07:27

Hi,

You mean you have not heard that hippocrisy is a valuable tool? Even another president denied never smoking it, when everyone in school was doing it ... and he was not the "wirgin" that he made out to be later!

I think it comes with the territory! And the other side is just as guilty of it.
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>