Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What band should be in PA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 11:38
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Great suggestions by everyone. Thumbs Up

I'd like to see Paul Kantner (Baron von Tollbooth) and Grace Slick (The Chrome Nun) on Prog Archives too, alongside Jefferson Starship and Quicksilver Messenger Service - in my Dreams! Wink

That album was added to the Jefferson Airplane site. I agree that's a great album and better than most JA albums proper.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=32524

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 11:50
Chetarca 

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 11:56
OMG....just put them all in so these threads can be closed once and for all......Then we can start seeing threads of bands that should be kicked out of PA.
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 11:58
Boris
Boris
Ichiko Aoba
Boris

Edited by bardberic - May 24 2023 at 12:01
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 12:00
Pere Ubu
Boards Of Canada
Firefly Burning
Pixvae
Stolen Babies
Us, Today
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 13:14
I feel bad saying “should be” because I could have pushed for these to be included, but I figure if it was “meant to be”, then discussion would have gone the right way, people would have been convinced, and they would have been added.   Sometimes it comes to suggesting at the right time, and definitely making the right arguments to the right people, suggesting the right material and suggesting to the right category.

Some of these have been suggested and I very much supported but discussion just didn't develop and in the case of Stereolab, I have at length at various times expressed my concern about the addition. When another favourite of mine, Pram, was included (perhaps in part due to my enthusiasm for the act) which I also expressed concerns about including despite putting it in the greater Prog spectrum myself, I then knew that Stereolab might be more seriously considered. Some of these it's mostly for one album.

So rather than saying these SHOULD be in PA, I consider all of these to be on the Prog spectrum or on the edge of the Prog spectrum (some much more peripheral than others and it sows depend on the release).

The Quicksilver Messenger Service
Niechęć
Phew
Fishmans (for Long Season)
Natural Snow Building (listen to Daughters of Darkness)
Boards of Canada
Chelsea Wolfe
Extradition
Exuma
Yo La Tenga
Nina Hagen Band (Naturtrane is so great)
Bruno Pernadas
Pere Ubu
The Velvet Underground
Nico
 Lula Côrtes e Zé Ramalho (for Paębirú)
Egisto Macchi
Ennio Morricone
Janko Niiloivic
Stereolab
Xiu Xiu
Aphex Twin
Jarboe
Broadcast
Flaming Lips
Donovan
Donald Byrd for Electric Byrd on JRF (I along with the Byrd down for even suggesting this many years ago by someone who “discovered” it years later. Weird. But the Sun Ra for Languidity etc.
Nick Drake (enough of a Prog folk relation imo)
Air (for 10, OO HZ Legends especially)
Portishead (kind of, Third has a Krautrock influence).
Cream (as Proto Prog- a much more controversial one than most that I have suggested, and spent along time arguing for this)
The Necks
Uboa
Dr John, The Night Tripper (Gris-Gris – suggest to fans of Beefheart)

So many more.... Please excuse me if I made mistakes and some of these are in PA already. I will evaluate things (music and arguments) for Prog Related and Proto-Prog, and take that duty seriously, but on a more personal level, I generally ceased to care what is or isn't included in PA many years ago (something to consider for my own personal and shared lists). So much of what I like is on the periphery of Prog and so much that is art and progressive music I love, I don't consider to be Prog
Just a fanboy passin' through.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 15:34
The Velvet Underground (for the invention of Art Rock - Proto Prog)
Machine (I suggested them some 12 years ago for Crossover or Eclectic; maybe Heavy would be better)
VultureCulture07 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VultureCulture07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 16:08
Trillion, cause why not. A pretty solid American Heavy Prog band. Reminds the listener of New England and they are on this site.
My Link     I make content here... Sometimes
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 17:51
How about the Residents. Smile
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 17:51
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

The Martin Barre Band. 

They are already in PA, but not as The Martin Barre Band....just as Martin Barre

BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 17:53
While I'm here.....

LIVING COLOUR!!!!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 23:52
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Boi_da_boi_124 Boi_da_boi_124 wrote:

What prog-related, prog-esque, or overlooked prog bands/artists should have a place in PA?

My picks:
John Coltrane(Jazz/Rock Fusion)
Gary Numan(Prog-Related)
Grateful Dead(Psychedelic/Space Rock or Prog-Related)

Two and three absolutely. But when did ever Coltrane fuse his jazz with anything rock? Well, I know his music more than well enough to answer that myself: Never.

-While Miles took notes and listened to what his younger bandmembers and girlfriends were into (around the time of Coltrane's untimely passing) and added funk & rock grooves into his gradually more electrified jazz.

-Post his 1965-album A Love Supreme, Coltrane spent the two last years of his life going even further out into the spiritual side of avant-garde/free jazz. Always sticking to the acoustic standard jazz "instrument park". The story of jazzfusion had hardly begun in 1967. And while he (as many of the 1960's jazz greats) inspired many outside of the jazz field, he's merely a footnote in the "makings of" this particular story.
Progressive and psychedelic  Jazz, maybe?TongueWink

One could say that McCoy Tyner could have some rock in his 70's album. Ditto for Alice.
Not sure I think that McCoy Tyner or Alice Coltrane ever actually recorded an album full of material that qualify them for a place in the PA-index either. What albums would that be? They were certainly progressive and got themselves groovin' during the early 1970's, but was there ever an element of "rock"?  I would find it easier to make an argument for Pharoah Sanders than both of them.

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

So rather than saying these SHOULD be in PA, I consider all of these to be on the Prog spectrum or on the edge of the Prog spectrum (some much more peripheral than others and it sows depend on the release). Loads of fusion to be found on several albums.

The Quicksilver Messenger Service
Niechęć
Phew
Fishmans (for Long Season)
Natural Snow Building (listen to Daughters of Darkness)
Boards of Canada
Chelsea Wolfe
Extradition
Exuma
Yo La Tenga
Nina Hagen Band (Naturtrane is so great)
Bruno Pernadas
Pere Ubu
The Velvet Underground
Nico
 Lula Côrtes e Zé Ramalho (for Paębirú)
Egisto Macchi
Ennio Morricone
Janko Niiloivic
Stereolab
Xiu Xiu
Aphex Twin
Jarboe
Broadcast
Flaming Lips
Donovan
Donald Byrd for Electric Byrd on JRF (I along with the Byrd down for even suggesting this many years ago by someone who “discovered” it years later. Weird. But the Sun Ra for Languidity etc.
Nick Drake (enough of a Prog folk relation imo)
Air (for 10, OO HZ Legends especially)
Portishead (kind of, Third has a Krautrock influence).
Cream (as Proto Prog- a much more controversial one than most that I have suggested, and spent along time arguing for this)
The Necks
Uboa
Dr John, The Night Tripper (Gris-Gris – suggest to fans of Beefheart)

Hey I agree with all the names I know here - which is about 90% of them. Some feel more obvious than others, but that's beside the point.

I'd add RACHEL'S!

and based on the rules for inclusion these qualify with several albums. Although some of them are - like Morricone and Byrd etc... more known for non-prog:

These legends of jazz all dabbled in elecrified fusion on at least one album - many of them more - during the 1970's:

Sun Ra
Herbie Mann
Ahmad Jamal
Bobby Hutcherson
Yusef Lateef
Barney Wilen
Jeremy Steig (for most of his career, really)
Don Cherry
George Benson
Chico Hamilton (he also made his own kind of jazz rock fusion as early as in 1964-1965-1966)
(the already mentioned) Pharoah Sanders

-also some no-brainers for jazz rock fusion:

Azteca
Baird Hersey and the Year of the Ear
Blue Morning
The Bridge
Band X (no not a spelling mistake, Band X)
Bazaar (Indo/Raga)
Casiopea
The Dave Pike Set
Farlocco
The Fourth Way
The Full Moon Band (just prog or prog folk really)
Gabor Szabo (also essential for those Chico Hamilton records)
Hans Dulfer
The Headhunters
Heavy Joker

... oh god. I'm only at H in the alphabet...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 02:31

-also some no-brainers for jazz rock fusion:

Azteca
Baird Hersey and the Year of the Ear
Blue Morning
The Bridge
Band X (no not a spelling mistake, Band X)
Bazaar (Indo/Raga)
Casiopea
The Dave Pike Set
Farlocco
The Fourth Way
The Full Moon Band (just prog or prog folk really)
Gabor Szabo (also essential for those Chico Hamilton records)
Hans Dulfer
The Headhunters
Heavy Joker

... oh god. I'm only at H in the alphabet...

Or maybe suggest some of these bands, see what happens, and not just complain of their absence on PA. If suggested, some of them will be cleared and added. But still, they have to be suggested for evaluation. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 02:33
There is a lot of stuff that I like that isn't here that would be interesting to see reviewed. I would put a shout out for Love as fronted by the brilliant Arthur Lee. Forever Changes is a classic album and very influential.

What about punk bands? The Stranglers are talked about a lot and were as progressive as any band around that time imo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 02:35
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

[QUOTE=Saperlipopette!]
Or maybe suggest some of these bands, see what happens, and not just complain of their absence on PA. If suggested, some of them will be cleared and added. But still, they have to be suggested for evaluation. 
Sheesh. It wasn't a complaint at all! I know suggesting/adding bands is timeconsuming - which is why a usually don't bother. I was just inspired by this thread/topic to have a look at my fusion collection, and making this post.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 02:39

[QUOTE=Saperlipopette!]
Sheesh. It wasn't a complaint at all! I know suggesting/adding bands is time consuming - which is why a usually don't bother. I was just inspired by this thread/topic to have a look at my fusion collection, and making this post.

ok, my bad then. 
You can still create discussion around these bands, post some listening links, some of them might end up under evaluation. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 02:55

[QUOTE=Saperlipopette!]
Sheesh. It wasn't a complaint at all! I know suggesting/adding bands is time consuming - which is why a usually don't bother. I was just inspired by this thread/topic to have a look at my fusion collection, and making this post.

ok, my bad then. 
You can still create discussion around these bands, post some listening links, some of them might end up under evaluation. 
I could, but each time I've tried posting links for the last six months or so, I get the "server not found"-message when I try to use them. Not sure if it's a local problem or a PA-issue.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 03:05

[QUOTE=Saperlipopette!]

ok, my bad then. 
I could, but each time I've tried posting links for the last six months or so, I get the "server not found"-message when I try to use them. Not sure if it's a local problem or a PA-issue.

Just try again, it works most of the time. I get weird messages as well LOL, doing everything again works fine, I've never had a problem posting a link, a video maybe, but second time attempt always works. Smile
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 06:39

[QUOTE=Saperlipopette!]

ok, my bad then. 

Here's a little something:

Matte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 07:54
Alice Cooper

The band "Alice Cooper" started with two psychedelic albums, "Pretties for You" and "Easy Action". Then they released "Love it to Death", "Killer", "Schools Out", "Billion Dollar Babies" and "Muscle of Love" where all styles of music were allowed; Garage rock, pop, ballads, musical, rock, hard rock, progressive rock and a variety of other music styles. Nothing was off limits and all instruments were allowed. Starting with "Welcome to my Nightmare", Alice Cooper was no longer the name of the band but of the artist. But he continued to release records that had a concept and a great musical variety. When the 80s came, the progressive elements largely disappeared and the music became more streamlined (apart from, for example, the record "Dada" which was a return to the 70s style). But considering AC's influence on the theatrical, conceptual and unpredictable in music, it goes without saying that they/he should have a place here on the progarchives. If bands like Budgie, Triumph and Journey fit in here, AC has to too, I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>