Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Police & Solo Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Police & Solo Appreciation Thread
    Posted: June 23 2023 at 10:35
I've not seen a ton of discussion on The Police and the members solo works, so I thought I may as well open one. All Police related discussions is welcome.

For my opening comment...I'd like to inquire about if anyone has heard or has seen Stewart Copeland's Police Deranged For Orchestra? They were supposed to release 200 Black Vinyl LP's and 300 Blue Vinyl LP's I think but I certainly don't see any listing on discogs or any for sale.

I've always found Copeland's and Summers' solo stuff much more interesting than Sting's, even though I do enjoy his sometimes.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2023 at 10:41
I'm a big fan of the Police.  I just did a Police marathon earlier this month.  I just discovered the Circa Zero album Circa Hero, which features Andy Summers on guitar.  I hadn't heard of this until recently.  It had a Police-like feel to it, so might appeal to Police fans.  

I was not aware of the Stewart Copeland album.

I tend to prefer Sting's solo output from the other members, but enjoy what I have heard from Copeland and Summers too.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2023 at 12:13
I'm not a fan of the Police or Sting, but would be very curious to hear recommendations of Summers and Copeland stuff. Where to begin?

What I like is Oysterhead with Stewart Copeland, Les Claypool and Trey Anastasio. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2023 at 12:33
Big Police fan. Saw them on their Synchronicity tour in 1983. Played their albums alot.

As for the solo work, I am not familiar with Copeland's material, but am with Sting and Andy's music. For me, the first few solo albums from Sting featuring Kenny Kirkland (RIP) on keys and Branford Marsalis (sax) are amazing.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2023 at 13:25
Hi,

The solos are all interesting in their own way ... and its hard to say that Sting is not very good, since he has done so well as a solo artist.

Andy Summers has a lot of solo albums, and I have not heard all of them but the couple of them I heard were totally different than The Police to my ears.

Stewart Copeland is another story. Starting with an insane list of soundtracks (Rumble Fish, Wall Street. Silent Fall, Rapa Nui, Four Days in September, Simpatico, Dead Like Me) ... which are not something that anyone would often associate with a "drummer" but it would suggest that some stuff that The Police did, was actually cleaned up by Stewart, who might have been the better "musician" of the three of them ... at least not necessarily rock born and lived kind of thing! But I really like his stuff with The Police, and then Curved Air (he was married to Sonja) ... a lot ... and both Midnight Wire and Airborne are very nice albums, although I would likely think/wish that there were a few more long cuts, which were always nice in that band, though the early small stuff was very neat as well.

I'm looking for that Orchestra album, btw, because of the three, he would be the only one capable of doing that ... and probably right, and sounding special in its own way.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2023 at 03:19
I don't mind The Police at all, but not a fan of Sting's solo stuff. Sorry.
 Post Reply Post Reply