Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Hated Sub-Genre of prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 12:04
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Staying on the subject of Reggae and somewhat ironically, I'm a big fan of Christian Reggae band Christafari, so I'd like to wish them a holy Hosanna, even though I'm about as religious as arch-atheist Richard Dawkins who, after suffering a stroke recently, received a prayer and a blessing from the Archbishop of Canterbury himself, which is somewhat ironic too. Smile

Would you label this reggae prog, Caribbean,  or something else? 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - July 14 2023 at 12:04
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 12:14
Progressive Electronic for me. The majority of the music in this genre is either repetitive ambient looped arpeggios or weird sound design garbage. Boring stuff (YMMV).
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 12:29
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Personally, I hate the overwhelming presence of those prog-metal subgenres like tech-, extreme-, post- and experimental-metal of which the progressiveness to my ears is generally accessory instead of a constitutive element of the music. If tempo changes suffice to consider something prog, that seems to me a bit week... Keep them at the neighbours where their presence is much more pertinent.

I'm waiting with bated breath for SiLLy PuPPy Mike's response to this!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 12:36
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Personally, I hate the overwhelming presence of those prog-metal subgenres like tech-, extreme-, post- and experimental-metal of which the progressiveness to my ears is generally accessory instead of a constitutive element of the music. If tempo changes suffice to consider something prog, that seems to me a bit week... Keep them at the neighbours where their presence is much more pertinent.

I'm waiting with bated breath for SiLLy PuPPy Mike's response to this!

Why should I care what anyone else loves or hates?
I honestly couldn’t care less
I love every prog genre / style/ hybrid
I’m with those who have no time to hate any music
If I don’t connect with it I move on

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 12:41
^ Oh, come on, you can do better than that. Tongue Wink
I hoped to provoke some reactions - and especially arguments - to defend those genres as prog genres. You must have some of those (arguments)!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 12:52
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

If I don’t connect with it I move on

true! Smile
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 12:55
Within Prog circles, I feel like Djent def comes to mind
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 13:04
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

not all djent is progressive. 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 13:08
That's true, I guess I would say prog metal just based on the fact that many people will be filtered out immediately by harsh vocals. But I would say widely, you could probably convince your average joe on a Ghost Reveries era Opeth song long before you could with a Henry Cow type of band
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 13:09
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

not all djent is progressive. 

True. Djent is technically under the prog metal umbrella, but many metalcore and deathcore bands have co-opted elements of the sound as well. Veil of Maya, Carnifex, Within the Ruins, etc.

Edited by Necrotica - July 14 2023 at 13:11
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 14:48
I fail to see how one can hate a genre. I don't particularly like Reggae, that's about as far as it goes. 
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 16:32
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Avant Prog/RIO - although I don't mind Brazilian Prog.
Tech/Extreme Metal - fetch me the ear defenders.
Zeuhl - I can barely even spell it, never mind listen to it.
Those 3 are high on my list of genres I prefer to avoid.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. (the wonderful Bob Newhart)
Ultimately, there's no bad music, just music that doesn't suit your personal taste.

Edited by Hercules - July 14 2023 at 16:36
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 17:51
In prog, I'd say neo-prog and progmetal, but I'd add Math Rock in there as well.

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Well they got Glam Rock horribly wrong, they're referencing 80's Hair Metal rather than the 70's bands.
Yep, embarrassing. I think he actually means Hair Metal and not Glam Rock.

Those Hair Metal bands were also called Glam Metal back then, hence probably their f**k-up
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 19:09

^ Oh, come on, you can do better than that. Tongue Wink
I hoped to provoke some reactions - and especially arguments - to defend those genres as prog genres. You must have some of those (arguments)!

The time i could spend arguing with you is time i could spend listening to some nasty ugly extreme experimental metal that would make 99% of even metalheads cringe. haha

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 21:17
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Any prog-metal that has growling vocals doesn't get my favor, at all.

I agree.  I can tolerate most anything else but that.  Ugh.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 21:31
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Well they got Glam Rock horribly wrong, they're referencing 80's Hair Metal rather than the 70's bands.

That's the truth!!  I learned a few things from that article, but most of it was pretty bad. 

From ChatGPT:

Glam rock, also known as glitter rock, is a music genre that emerged in the early 1970s, primarily in the United Kingdom. It was characterized by a unique blend of music, fashion, and theatricality. Glam rock artists aimed to create a flamboyant and extravagant image, often incorporating elements of glamor, androgyny, and rebellion.

Musically, glam rock drew inspiration from various genres such as rock and roll, pop, and rhythm and blues. It featured catchy melodies, energetic guitar riffs, and a strong emphasis on showmanship. The sound of glam rock often included prominent use of electric guitars, driving rhythms, and theatrical vocals.

Glam rock artists often wore elaborate and androgynous costumes, with glittery or sequined outfits, makeup, and hairstyles. They challenged traditional gender norms and pushed boundaries with their androgynous appearance. Some notable glam rock artists include David Bowie, T. Rex, Roxy Music, Slade, Sweet, and Queen.

The glam rock movement had a significant impact on popular culture, influencing subsequent musical genres such as punk rock, new wave, and glam metal. It was a celebration of individuality, self-expression, and rebellion, and its influence can still be seen and heard in modern music and fashion.

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2023 at 01:11
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I fail to see how one can hate a genre. I don't particularly like Reggae, that's about as far as it goes. 
I think very few walks around actively hating on music genres. But I can most certainly respond/react to music both disgust and yes something that resembles hate. There's a difference between hating Nazis and "hating pineapple on your pizza" though. Just like loving your children and loving the smell of coffee represent different kinds of loving. 

Edited by Saperlipopette! - July 15 2023 at 01:53
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2023 at 01:32
I assume the OP is asking us about what we think is/are the most disliked prog sub-genre(s) in general, not which one any of us particularly doesn't like.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2023 at 06:04
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I assume the OP is asking us about what we think is/are the most disliked prog sub-genre(s) in general, not which one any of us particularly doesn't like.

I think the generally most hated prog subgenre is..... progressive rock. xD People who hate prog in one form or another don't even bother to subcategorize it. :D
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2023 at 07:20
Krautrock

It's name actually suggests it hates itself anywayWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>