Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Most Hated Sub-Genre of prog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Hated Sub-Genre of prog

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 16 2019
Location: Nottingham, U.K
Status: Offline
Points: 35296
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2023 at 11:41
Originally posted by SMSM SMSM wrote:

Avant Prog/RIO 

Tech/Extreme Metal 

Zeuhl 

The exact same three least-loved prog genres for me too. Smile
Back to Top
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 15 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 210
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SMSM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2023 at 10:40
Avant Prog/RIO 

Tech/Extreme Metal 

Zeuhl 

Like the Jazz equivalent, you have to be as talented as John Coltrane, as in Ascension, to play it well without it sounding irritating, which most don't

Progressive Metal, got cliched/boring very fast, especially the drumming 
Back to Top
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 20 2010
Location: Tomorrowland
Status: Offline
Points: 10067
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2023 at 09:17
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Lucky thing The Beatles are in Proto-Prog as they are sometimes known as the first or an early boy band.


That really annoys me as in my book the term 'boy band' refers to a bunch of vocalist pretty boys, put together by the industry, who generally don't write their own songs nor play any instruments.
Yep. I think The Beatles has only jokingly hes been referred to as the first boy band, really. The Monkees were factually the first actual boy band. Chosen from auditions, and put together by two TV producers for The Monkees TV-series - and originally not allowed to play instruments or write their own songs (although they certainly weren't without talent). 
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

How many of the current or former 'boy bands' will be remembered in 50 years times for being major music influencers in 50+ years time?

Hard to tell. As music influencers none of them will be remembered. But The Monkees aren't forgotten. Some "contemporary" boy band-songs might be remembered in similar ways as I'm a Believer, I'm Not Your Stepping Stone and Daydream Believer is remembered. If the song material is strong enough, people in the future won't care how the song came about. Boy bands, Britney Spears - there's not much of a difference really. Both are pop-products. That said, there hasn't been a lot of profilic boy bands in the last couple of decades, has there? I guess One Direction & BTS... 

+btw I think Ringo Starr is/was a great drummer.
Back to Top
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 20 2009
Location: TEHRAN-IRAN
Status: Offline
Points: 2619
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2023 at 06:42
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Hi Logan . So sorry for your lost . I know what is this deep grief.

I believe no one here don't know how "Religious" minds can be dangerous for people . I trapped in Iran as a Iranian under wild brutal Islamic regime that want push a big nation to the heaven with militia organizations!!! How can I explain it clearly?! They shut down Internet and send parasite on satellite frequencies and filtered too many sites and social networks. They forced women to Hijab and....
I am not muslim but I born as a muslim and I don't choose my religion and honestly I hate all Religions because I read about most of them and I found everytime one religion reach to power , believers of that religion did and do and will do horrible and wild and brutal works against people . They kill FREEDOM easily ...
I love music specially Progressive Rock music and I living with it over 40 years with too many troubles that one Islamic religion made for me and guys like me. We are victim in 21 century ....


Thanks you so much, it means a lot. Sadly, this kind of grief is par for the course and it is in these times that many people turn to religion for comfort.

I feel so bad about Iran's situation. My best friend was Persian (born Muslim, dad was an ambassador before Khomeini) and I had lots of Persian people who were very close to me -- Vancouver has a significant Persian population.   With my friends and my parents friends, their families fled when the Ayatollah Khomeini took power. I was so sickened by the news here when women were being treated so inhumanely for not wanting to be forced to wear the hijab in Iran, that to balance the news they had other women talking about the "freedom" of wearing the hijab. And of course I am sickened about the penalties and persecution that many ex-Muslims have faced. I have heard from various Christians about the extreme intolerance of the non-believers, and of course you find those, but the most dangerous intolerance I have found is largely from the believers. We're in a strange society where many also have become very tolerant of the intolerant and if not religious think it is racist (for some reason) or phobic to be critical of certain religions. And I know someone who was born into a Jehovah's Witnesses family and having stated that she doesn't believe in it, she was shunned and pushed out by her family. And of course the apostates are in mortal danger in places.

As for this topic, as said, from my experience, it has been Neo-Prog and Prog Metal, and Avant-Prog and Zeuhl next to that. Indo-Prog/Raga Rock has got many negative comments, but mostly, sadly, it's ignored. Krautock gets negativity mostly for the name. Some hate that the classifications we use here, and that's another issue. I never thought of, say, Eclectic Prog as a genre, it's a category we use to organise things. If we used multi-tagging, I very much doubt we would have that or Crossover Prog.

Thanks so so much for your time .

About this topic : Neo Prog is not an obvious and clear in PA. A wide range of bands with completely different visions , musicality , and style labeled as Neo Prog.
I never got why Marillion post-Fish is Neo Prog when we faced with bands like IQ , Arena and ... IMO Neo Prog is one of the sub genes that must change or deform eventually ....
Back to Top
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 10 2020
Location: Planet Rhubarb
Status: Offline
Points: 2565
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2023 at 05:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Lucky thing The Beatles are in Proto-Prog as they are sometimes known as the first or an early boy band.


That really annoys me as in my book the term 'boy band' refers to a bunch of vocalist pretty boys, put together by the industry, who generally don't write their own songs nor play any instruments.

The Beatles were way more than that - they were a pop/rock band, singers and song writers, knew how to get the best out of their instruments (jokes about Ringo's drumming ignored), with an ever evolving style, and with the help of an innovative producer created a sound that has influenced just about every aspiring rock band since. Not to mention embracing psychedelia and helping to lay the foundations of what would become prog.

How many of the current or former 'boy bands' will be remembered in 50 years times for being major music influencers in 50+ years time?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Back to Top
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 20 2010
Location: Tomorrowland
Status: Offline
Points: 10067
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2023 at 00:40
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Right now I'm dealing with the church about my mother's funeral, and maybe that is making me a little more emotional about these things again.
Sorry for your loss, Greg.


Back to Top
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: April 22 2005
Location: Sweden
Status: Offline
Points: 20627
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 23:44
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ Also really sorry for your loss. As far as religion is concerned, Even though I am (still) an atheist, I've recently, mostly thanks to Jordan Peterson, expanded my horizon a little bit. Turns out that you really can't get from an "is" to an "ought", as much as people like Sam Harris would like that to be the case. So while I'm still not religious, I can see what (decent) people see in religion - it's above all a sense of meaning and purpose. But I digress ...




Oh God, sorry, force of habit, I dislike Jordan Peterson (maybe with more digging I would like something by him.) He's quite focused on Jungian archetypes as I recall, and he got a fame as cause célèbre, along with some other professors/ instructors. I joined Sam Harris forum (that grew out of Project Reason) for a short time explaining what I did not like about Peterson or the discussion in his podcast with him. While I used to listen to Sam Harris' podcast "religiously" (discovered him because of Hitchens, so wish he was still around, and Dawkins) but I then stopped mostly after the podcasts became subscriber content. Also some of his associations like Brett Weinstein put a bad taste in my mouth (or maybe that was the horse urine).

I really discovered Atheism through the four horsemen (Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens and Harris) in the early 2000s. Today I strongly dislike Harris because of his dogmatic pursuit of political goals, which he mixes with atheism/rationality in a really pathetic way (pretending that it's the only rational way to think about things). 

Jordan Peterson - I don't agree with every single argument he makes, obviously. But especially in the last couple of years he has been one of the more prominent actual voices of reason in many topics (gender ideology, socialism, general injustice in political systems etc..). This is one of the best videos I would recommend to check out Peterson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJrEaLYacwc&ab_channel=JordanBPeterson
Back to Top
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avatar
Site Admin

Joined: April 05 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: Offline
Points: 32962
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 20:03
Originally posted by altered_beast altered_beast wrote:

At least Progressive Rock Boy Bands don’t exist. If they did I know what I would have something extra to hate.


Lucky thing The Beatles are in Proto-Prog as they are sometimes known as the first or an early boy band.

That said, there is Bacamarte Boys, Neu! Kids Crimson on the Block, One Shot Direction, and of course Meshuggah... If one considers Meshuggah Progressive Rock, that is.



Edited by Logan - July 19 2023 at 20:15
Back to Top
altered_beast View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Avatar

Joined: December 19 2022
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 26
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote altered_beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 19:49
At least Progressive Rock Boy Bands don’t exist. If they did I know what I would have something extra to hate.
Back to Top
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 16 2022
Location: The Netherlands
Status: Offline
Points: 540
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 16:02
Jordan Peterson is an alt-right grifter, disgraced "scientist" and much like similar figures like Musk seems to make it his only goal in life to spread as much backwards, transphobic, climate-change-denying, misanthropic, "traditional/masculine values" bullsh*t online as he can to impress on naive young boys who look up to him because he sells them the both idea and the solution to the notion that they aren't allowed to be masculine in today's world. Either stay as far away from him as you can, or, if you're morbidly curious, take whatever he tells you and do/believe the exact opposite. He's definitely in the worst sub-genre of human life.
Back to Top
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avatar
Site Admin

Joined: April 05 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: Offline
Points: 32962
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 15:14
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ Also really sorry for your loss. As far as religion is concerned, Even though I am (still) an atheist, I've recently, mostly thanks to Jordan Peterson, expanded my horizon a little bit. Turns out that you really can't get from an "is" to an "ought", as much as people like Sam Harris would like that to be the case. So while I'm still not religious, I can see what (decent) people see in religion - it's above all a sense of meaning and purpose. But I digress ...




Oh God, sorry, force of habit, I dislike Jordan Peterson (maybe with more digging I would like something by him.) He's quite focused on Jungian archetypes as I recall, and he got a fame as cause célèbre, along with some other professors/ instructors. I joined Sam Harris forum (that grew out of Project Reason) for a short time explaining what I did not like about Peterson or the discussion in his podcast with him. While I used to listen to Sam Harris' podcast "religiously" (discovered him because of Hitchens, so wish he was still around, and Dawkins) but I then stopped mostly after the podcasts became subscriber content. Also some of his associations like Brett Weinstein put a bad taste in my mouth (or maybe that was the horse urine).

Edited by Logan - July 19 2023 at 15:16
Back to Top
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: April 22 2005
Location: Sweden
Status: Offline
Points: 20627
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 15:00
^ Also really sorry for your loss. As far as religion is concerned, Even though I am (still) an atheist, I've recently, mostly thanks to Jordan Peterson, expanded my horizon a little bit. Turns out that you really can't get from an "is" to an "ought", as much as people like Sam Harris would like that to be the case. So while I'm still not religious, I can see what (decent) people see in religion - it's above all a sense of meaning and purpose. But I digress ...


Back to Top
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avatar
Site Admin

Joined: April 05 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: Offline
Points: 32962
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 11:18
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Hi Logan . So sorry for your lost . I know what is this deep grief.

I believe no one here don't know how "Religious" minds can be dangerous for people . I trapped in Iran as a Iranian under wild brutal Islamic regime that want push a big nation to the heaven with militia organizations!!! How can I explain it clearly?! They shut down Internet and send parasite on satellite frequencies and filtered too many sites and social networks. They forced women to Hijab and....
I am not muslim but I born as a muslim and I don't choose my religion and honestly I hate all Religions because I read about most of them and I found everytime one religion reach to power , believers of that religion did and do and will do horrible and wild and brutal works against people . They kill FREEDOM easily ...
I love music specially Progressive Rock music and I living with it over 40 years with too many troubles that one Islamic religion made for me and guys like me. We are victim in 21 century ....


Thanks you so much, it means a lot. Sadly, this kind of grief is par for the course and it is in these times that many people turn to religion for comfort.

I feel so bad about Iran's situation. My best friend was Persian (born Muslim, dad was an ambassador before Khomeini) and I had lots of Persian people who were very close to me -- Vancouver has a significant Persian population.   With my friends and my parents friends, their families fled when the Ayatollah Khomeini took power. I was so sickened by the news here when women were being treated so inhumanely for not wanting to be forced to wear the hijab in Iran, that to balance the news they had other women talking about the "freedom" of wearing the hijab. And of course I am sickened about the penalties and persecution that many ex-Muslims have faced. I have heard from various Christians about the extreme intolerance of the non-believers, and of course you find those, but the most dangerous intolerance I have found is largely from the believers. We're in a strange society where many also have become very tolerant of the intolerant and if not religious think it is racist (for some reason) or phobic to be critical of certain religions. And I know someone who was born into a Jehovah's Witnesses family and having stated that she doesn't believe in it, she was shunned and pushed out by her family. And of course the apostates are in mortal danger in places.

As for this topic, as said, from my experience, it has been Neo-Prog and Prog Metal, and Avant-Prog and Zeuhl next to that. Indo-Prog/Raga Rock has got many negative comments, but mostly, sadly, it's ignored. Krautock gets negativity mostly for the name. Some hate that the classifications we use here, and that's another issue. I never thought of, say, Eclectic Prog as a genre, it's a category we use to organise things. If we used multi-tagging, I very much doubt we would have that or Crossover Prog.

Edited by Logan - July 19 2023 at 11:27
Back to Top
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August 22 2010
Location: Indiana
Status: Offline
Points: 20491
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 10:35
Yeah....hates a strong word but I dislike these for the most part.....
Tech extreme prog metal
Prog metal
Exp post metal
Post rock math rock
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Back to Top
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 20 2009
Location: TEHRAN-IRAN
Status: Offline
Points: 2619
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 06:58
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ I like me some heavy music, thanks for the Celtic Frost, Mike. Right now I'm dealing with the church about my mother's funeral, and maybe that is making me a little more emotional about these things again. She wasn't much of a believer, but I grew up with the Anglican Church (Church of England). My wife was Pentecostal (we learned not to talk religion), and she was never really preachy and always was much more "liberal" than her old friends from the church (maybe I provided an out). Her church seriously creeped me out and concerned me.   Where I live the signs of religion increase significantly every year, which I find sad and makes me want to move (if it were not for the ludicrously high cost of housing in my region, this would not me first choice anyway. I waited too long to get into the market -- when my son graduates high school, then I hope to move). I love going to the temples in Japan, so I am not all against religion, and I have by biases. I'd be happy to see lots of beautiful temples with beautiful gardens springing up where I live; make this little Kyoto as Kyoto and its surrounding regions is where I have felt most like I belong. Anyway, I do have something of a phobia when it comes to religions generally, but I have an attraction to religion as well even when I see it as irrational. And I have liked to visit lots of historical religious architecture in Europe and Asia. Anyway, I don't want to turn this into another theism vs. atheism, secular vs religious thread

......





Hi Logan . So sorry for your lost . I know what is this deep grief.

I believe no one here don't know how "Religious" minds can be dangerous for people . I trapped in Iran as a Iranian under wild brutal Islamic regime that want push a big nation to the heaven with militia organizations!!! How can I explain it clearly?! They shut down Internet and send parasite on satellite frequencies and filtered too many sites and social networks. They forced women to Hijab and....
I am not muslim but I born as a muslim and I don't choose my religion and honestly I hate all Religions because I read about most of them and I found everytime one religion reach to power , believers of that religion did and do and will do horrible and wild and brutal works against people . They kill FREEDOM easily ...
I love music specially Progressive Rock music and I living with it over 40 years with too many troubles that one Islamic religion made for me and guys like me. We are victim in 21 century ....
Back to Top
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 03 2013
Location: poland?
Status: Offline
Points: 4234
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 05:47
Quote k, but the question was about if there is a consensus on which sub-genre is the most disliked OVERALL.
Personally, I can only speak for myself tbh.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Back to Top
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 20 2010
Location: Tomorrowland
Status: Offline
Points: 10067
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 01:38
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Ok, but the question was about if there is a consensus on which sub-genre is the most disliked OVERALL. No one is asking us to list any of our least favorite genres INDIVIDUALLY.
I think most of us understand that. But the answers you get will be based of personal preference in combination with personal experience anyway. What else can you expect? My impression is that Neo Prog (and Prog Metal) is the most hated - or disliked. Unsurprisingly I "and everyone I know" strongly dislike everything Neo too. Others, in their experience will feel that it's RIO/Avant. Partly because they can't stand it themselves. It's hard to avoid.
Back to Top
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 07 2019
Location: Culver City, CA
Status: Online
Points: 2904
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 01:03
Ok, but the question was about if there is a consensus on which sub-genre is the most disliked OVERALL. No one is asking us to list any of our least favorite genres INDIVIDUALLY.

If we're talkin on the forums here, one would have to look at the extremes. Neo and RIO get he most hate from the different ends of the spectrum. 

If we're talking outside the forums and more in the general eclectic music-listening sphere, that's a more complicated question.


Edited by Awesoreno - July 19 2023 at 01:05
Back to Top
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August 02 2014
Location: Newport, Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 349
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2023 at 15:47
I just really dislike anything metal-based. I just cannot see the appeal? Each to their own I suppose…..
Back to Top
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 10 2020
Location: Planet Rhubarb
Status: Offline
Points: 2565
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2023 at 11:40
For me the core sub-genres of prog (which form the bulk of my collection) are: Canterbury Scene, Crossover Prog, Eclectic Prog, Heavy Prog, Prog Folk, Progressive Electronic, Psychedelic/Space Rock, Symphonic Prog

Anything else I can pretty much take or leave, with most Avant/RIO and Zheul being pretty much unlistenable to my ears, and never normally going anywhere near the metal sub genres.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.109 seconds.
Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.