Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon Redux 2023
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon Redux 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon Redux 2023
    Posted: October 16 2023 at 08:26
^ Sure, that's totally fair! I've given it three stars here, and I would not recommend it to anyone, nor will I listen to it a lot.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 08:19
^The REDUX was meant to be a companion piece, or a re-imagining i believe. Still, I'm not a fan of that style of music, doesn't matter what it is, I'm not a fan. It could've been a completely different album, not a re-imagining of DSOTM, but it still wouldn't have gotten a good rating from me
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 08:15
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I would be more specific if I had more than 24 hours in a day Tongue

I meant what exactly do you disagree with in what I said there. 

Nick thinks it's brilliant?! Good for him. Is this supposed to change my opinion?!

If you liked the album, it's fine, not the issue here. 

It contradicts your  "this is disrespectful to the other three PF members" remark, doesn't it? One passed away, the other one probably doesn't like it, the third one loves it. 

Even knowing that Nick likes the redux version, I still think the same thing. Roger treats the original DSOTM like it's his achievement, and not the band's (4 musicians). 

Listening to the redux version made me miss Rick and David especially. Rick that sings on two songs, wrote most of Us & Them with Roger (his lyrics) and Great Gig in the Sky was his song. 

The magic is gone on the redux version. On the original album, Roger, David and Rick sing. That's one great thing about it, they complement each other greatly. On the redux version, just a grumpy old man, at least that's how it feels. 

(For example, the main reason why i disliked Dream Theater's version of DSOTM was that only LaBrie does the singing, and it does not have three vocals interaction like the original album does). 

At this time he was pulling the strings in the band, pretty much like Frank Zappa did on almost all his releases. That doesn't mean that these releases would have worked had Frank played all the instruments. Similarily, DSOTM Redux is a completely different album - it's not even in the same league as the original. RW has himself aid that it's not, so I don't get the constant negativity in the comments, suggesting that it takes away from the original. It IS "DSOTM in grumpy old man mode". Most negative reviews read like it was meant to replace the original, which it's not.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 07:45

^ Hardly objective. Who wrote the review? Why should it trump opinions by, for example, Nick Mason and Mike Portnoy? It reeks of bias towards RW as a person.

No reviews are objective, every one is an opinion piece. It's a blog I assume.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 07:42

Nick thinks it's brilliant?! Good for him. Is this supposed to change my opinion?!

It contradicts your  "this is disrespectful to the other three PF members" remark, doesn't it? One passed away, the other one probably doesn't like it, the third one loves it. 

Even knowing that Nick likes the redux version, I still think the same thing. Roger treats the original DSOTM like it's his achievement, and not the band's (4 musicians). 

Listening to the redux version made me miss Rick and David especially. Rick that sings on two songs, wrote most of Us & Them with Roger (his lyrics) and Great Gig in the Sky was his song. 

The magic is gone on the redux version. On the original album, Roger, David and Rick sing. That's one great thing about it, they complement each other greatly. On the redux version, just a grumpy old man, at least that's how it feels. 

(For example, the main reason why i disliked Dream Theater's version of DSOTM was that only LaBrie does the singing, and it does not have three vocals interaction like the original album does). 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 07:36
^ Hardly objective. Who wrote the review? Why should it trump opinions by, for example, Nick Mason and Mike Portnoy? It reeks of bias towards RW as a person.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 07:13
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 03:26
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Roger Water's Lockdown Sessions was a brilliant 5-star album, but I only gave Roger's Dark Side of the Moon Redux a modest 3-star rating - and that was being generous. Disapprove 

Same here! I think there's nothing wrong with being generous to a 80 years old musician who is still rocking on stage (with his general show, earlier this year, that was essentially the Lockdown Sessions Live). Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 03:24

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 03:04
Roger Water's Lockdown Sessions was a brilliant 5-star album, but I only gave Roger's Dark Side of the Moon Redux a modest 3-star rating - and that was being generous. Disapprove 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 02:58

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 02:51

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 02:46

^ Disagree, respectfully.

You have to be more specific, what did i say there is it wrong? 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 02:45
^ Disagree, respectfully.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 01:47

Originally posted by Hector Enrique Hector Enrique wrote:

The only reason for me is that he wants to keep telling the world that he and he alone is responsible for that music and that he manipulates it according to his mood. Unnecessary and to some extent a desperate way to stay relevant without measuring the cost. 

Maybe he just felt like doing it? Does there have to be an ulterior motive? What if DG decided to do a DSOTM Redux version, would we be here discussing whether it is to piss off RW?

(I guess we would, because this is the internetLOL)

What would David reduce in his Redux version?! His own guitar solos? LOL 
Roger's new reworking is minimal, and not in a good way. Just trying to give it a listen, made me think " this is disrespectful to the other three PF members". But Roger has had a bone to pick with them since the Wall days, with Rick even earlier. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 01:42

The only reason for me is that he wants to keep telling the world that he and he alone is responsible for that music and that he manipulates it according to his mood. Unnecessary and to some extent a desperate way to stay relevant without measuring the cost. 

Maybe he just felt like doing it? Does there have to be an ulterior motive? What if DG decided to do a DSOTM Redux version, would we be here discussing whether it is to piss off RW?

(I guess we would, because this is the internetLOL)

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - October 16 2023 at 01:43
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 01:27
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, I would say he rather made it very clear that the rest of the band were very important for the music of the album.

I agree. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Roger did this re-working of DSOTM just to piss off David Gilmour. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 01:21

Well, I would say he rather made it very clear that the rest of the band were very important for the music of the album.
Hector Enrique View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hector Enrique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2023 at 13:05

Edited by Hector Enrique - October 08 2023 at 13:06
Héctor Enrique
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2023 at 11:43
It's been a while since many of us have listened to it
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>