Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon Redux 2023
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon Redux 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon Redux 2023
    Posted: July 21 2023 at 10:05
https://youtu.be/SUVmeYgo1Iw

Alright Look, I'm sure the vast Majority of us here are Pink Floyd fans. So I'm curios, thoughts on this?

Edited by Frets N Worries - July 21 2023 at 10:06
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2023 at 10:28
RW is doing exactly what he describes in Money, he's trying for a cash grab with this reissue. When he announced he was gonna re-record DSOtM and something about how he envisioned it being done I think almost everyone laughed and peed on themselves.
What he and the others created is timeless and now he says its not what he wanted.....the guy needs more medicine and a life. It's sad that he will be remembered for being a twit these past several years.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2023 at 10:52
So he has Tom Waits singing for him now ??

A hard pass on this one thanks.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2023 at 11:39
From the new lyrics he sings (or talks), "petty bulk digested sh*t" and "breaks wind out loud." That describes this project. 

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2023 at 13:20
How many versions of DSotM do we need?
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2023 at 14:33
I have no clue why he decided to remake it, it'll never be as good. It will never come close. I'm interested to see what the fellow users of Prog Archives rate the album on October 6th
zbida View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zbida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2023 at 04:57
Haven't heard yet but I wonder if the lyrics aren't in Russian?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2023 at 06:59
I kind of liked it Clap

Originally posted by edefakiel edefakiel wrote:

As bad and pointless as this is. Nothing Waters will ever do will be as bad and pointless as A Permanent Lapse of Reason or The Endless River or Metallic Spheres for that matter. 

Yes, not even Ça Ira is as unnecessary as those albums. 

There is a good point to this.

Even this REDUX (pretty good name for this minimalistic approach of a classic) is better than anything Gilmour has done since he took over Floyd, beit with Wright & Mason or solo.

Edited by Sean Trane - July 22 2023 at 10:52
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2023 at 07:28
It kinda sux ass
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2023 at 07:43
Roger doing a Leonard Cohen bit on a monotonously slow "Money" sounds like bad karaoke at a wannabe-villains bar. I half expected Dr. Evil and Gru from "The Minions" to join in on backing vocals. Actually, that would have been funnier at least.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2023 at 08:42
This somehow isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it's still bad. He's doing something original (going off this one track at least) instead of just re-recording it with more lyrics, and that's kind of the best-case scenario I guess.

But this whole project rubs me completely the wrong way. First of all, people enjoy DSOTM not just because of the "message", but because of the music, and part of that is what other musicians (incl. Clare Torry) brought to the table. This redux album is supposed to have more spoken words and more downbeat instrumentation, but knowing Roger's track record since The Wall, that's a recipe for disaster. Roger seems to think the message is all that matters.

Second, what's the point in adding lyrics to a song whose message was already as clear as day? Roger claims that the message/point of DSOTM hasn't stuck around or needs a refresher, but what does adding a bunch of cartoonish poetry to one of the most obvious songs of all time, message-wise, do? Why drive home the point of the song by making it musically even more obvious?

Lastly, from a pure aural perspective, not taking into account the reasons why this exists in the first place, this is just not that good. Why even bother redoing an album that sounded as good as DSOTM did back in 1973? You're just setting yourself up for failure, and the mix and vocals here just sound bad. We have a frame of reference, we know how satisfying the return to the vocals sounds in the original because of the great instrumental part. Here, you recognize the skeleton of that arrangement underneath all the growling, but it doesn't work like this because the solos aren't there.

Ultimately, Roger pretends he's remaking it because "not enough people recognised what it's about, what it was I was saying then", but he's really just lying to himself. He's remaking it because he's a sour little b*****d who's changed a lot since 1973. The people well understand the point of DSOTM, and what makes it great. At the end of the day, he's just yet another aging rocker who doesn't realize he should've called it quits decades ago.

Edited by Stressed Cheese - July 22 2023 at 08:43
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2023 at 08:43
I will probably buy this. The curse of the collector!
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2023 at 08:47
As bad and pointless as this is. Nothing Waters will ever do will be as bad and pointless as A Momentary Lapse of Reason or The Endless River or Metallic Spheres for that matter. 

Edited by edefakiel - July 22 2023 at 08:48
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2023 at 09:53
I've got a soft spot for the 80s version of a lot for these prog bands. I grew up listening to 80s rock. I shall NOT be purchasing Roger water's DSOTM
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2023 at 11:51
Originally posted by zbida zbida wrote:

Haven't heard yet but I wonder if the lyrics aren't in Russian?

It seems you are one of those who have totally misunderstood what Waters said about the Ukrainian war. Try listening directly to his words from youtube instead of the right-wing propaganda.

But I don't think I'll buy the album anyway.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2023 at 14:07
Originally posted by edefakiel edefakiel wrote:

As bad and pointless as this is. Nothing Waters will ever do will be as bad and pointless as A Momentary Lapse of Reason or The Endless River or Metallic Spheres for that matter. 

And yet, AMLOR is one of my favourite Floyd albums!

It takes all sorts🤓
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2023 at 14:18
It's better than I thought, but even if it wasn't, it's a bonus. No one is taking the original album away.

I find it humorous when I read fans saying sh*t like, "Can't Roger write a song without politics?" and forgetting he's done it since the 60s. Or "David isn't political" and not realizing DAVID invited Roger to the Palestinian Benefit/Charity, but David can't hold similar views because his son-in-law is Ukrainian.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2023 at 14:34
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

How many versions of DSotM do we need?
Exactly my thoughts. During the 70s you would buy your vinyl record, which would get forn out and you were forced yo buy a new one. Now, to make up for those lost sells, they just keep releasing new expanded, re-mastered, reissued versions of the same old stull, to keep you buying the same music.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2023 at 14:37
I think that Roger made a very good argument about current political events both in his open letter to Putin and in his speech at the UN recently. Most of his critics that I've encountered seem to be unaware of what he is actually saying.

But all that aside, I heard the new Money interpretation and found it both interesting and a little boring. What really WOWed me in a big way were his re-recordings of classic songs during the pandemic, like this one. It's like a thousand times more impressive than the original:

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - July 22 2023 at 14:39
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2023 at 18:49
Hi,

Have not heard it yet, but I have a couple thoughts on it.

Some of that material that he redid, is really good, and Mike EnRegalia posted one example and there are a couple of others. It is a bit more "updated" so it isn't so "dated", although I doubt many of us will sit and listen to Ronald Reagan and take it seriously enough. The actor was not known to be ... anything ... but an actor.

The scary thing is so many of us playing the "purist" and thinking that the original can not be improved, and we have seen many versions of Beatles tunes that were just as "good" if not better than the original, at least, they did not sound so out of time and place. 

This is the scariest part of "progressive music" and our thoughts about it ... so when someone takes a different step to show something, we think that person is out of it, or this or that. The fact that some of these are being "redone" (or were) is nice, and takes them out of a specific time and place and gives us a different look at the piece of music. 

It's just scary that we do not accept when the music is actually being more progressive, for its new/different interpretation, which I tend to think is a bit on the weird side of our ideas. We may not agree with the this or that, or RW's political views, but we ignore that those views helped put together DSOTM, Animals. WYWH and TW. 

It's like we, as "progressive" are into an IMAGE of something that is not there ... a graven image of some sort ... and the way everyone is reacting to it all, is scary and strange for me. Why can't the artist, redo his own piece differently and us taking our ideas off the pier into the raging ocean?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>