Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums and Artists that are Mistagged

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2023 at 02:23
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Jethro Tull is hard rock / heavy metal.  They even won some kind of award of it.

LOL And who would know more about that than the Grammy people

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2023 at 05:01
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

the most annoying thing for me is seeing a bunch of contemporary artists thrown into Neo Prog. I mean come on Neo Prog was/is such a distinctive sound/scene, why label every second post-80s Prog band as Neo, jeez. I swear like 60% of the current Neo Prog list on PA is actually Alternative Prog/AtmoProg (I call it "Kscope Prog")

My thoughts exactly. A few contemporary bands from the mid 00s onward maybe sound enough like those foundational 80s-mid 90s neo bands to qualify, but on the whole, a lot of them belong in symph or, more likely, crossover, on this site.
yep! And as much as I vibe with the "Kscope Prog" atmosphere and mood, many of these artists are barely Prog-Related honestly
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2023 at 06:32
^ if only there were a website that allowed everyone to vote on these things Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2023 at 06:49
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

yep! And as much as I vibe with the "Kscope Prog" atmosphere and mood, many of these artists are barely Prog-Related honestly

some examples of bands would help prove your point a bit better. 
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2023 at 00:03
Not a "Kscope" example, but Frost* is the kind of group that does not evoke the 80s- mid 90s style of Neo.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2023 at 00:12

Not a "Kscope" example, but Frost* is the kind of group that does not evoke the 80s- mid 90s style of Neo.

True, I've always thought they fit better under crossover. 
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2023 at 00:15
^And I SWEAR they were when I first came to this site around 5 years ago or so (before getting on the forums), but they must have been moved.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2023 at 00:26

^And I SWEAR they were when I first came to this site around 5 years ago or so (before getting on the forums), but they must have been moved.

I think they always were under neo, I could be wrong though. Confused If they were moved from crossover to neo, it was wrong IMO. Smile

Edited by Cristi - August 21 2023 at 00:27
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2023 at 10:08
Yep Frost* belong under 'Neo' as much as Porcupine Tree do (but it would be hilarious to put the latter there just to annoy S Wilson lol). Jem even did a video where he went out of his way to explain that they were deliberately avoiding all the Neo type prog stuff (he had listened to a ton of it and wasn't impressed apparently).  
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2023 at 09:03
Eh I still think Frost* are neo prog. They got the vibes, y'know

As for me, I feel like Big Big Train should be in symphonic prog, same with Styx. Also Mr. Bungle should be in prog related, they aren't really prog, just very avant garde funk metal, like Primus
D~B
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234