Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What the H3ll was that all about??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What the H3ll was that all about??
    Posted: September 12 2023 at 16:47
Most of the day without access, and now, 6:47pm EST, live again.
Whew !!
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2023 at 17:21
Still can't access the Administrators' portion of the website:

"Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0 error '80004005'

Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [53].

/admin/includes/inc_connectDB.asp, line 6"
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2023 at 17:28
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

Still can't access the Administrators' portion of the website:

"Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0 error '80004005'

Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [53].

/admin/includes/inc_connectDB.asp, line 6"

Same, I'm getting an error as well Ouch
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2023 at 17:33
Had a quick email exchange with Max this morning regarding all 3 of his sites being down, the problem was with the 'hoster'.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2023 at 17:36
Ha, I thought I got banned, just checked Facebook to see what people were saying, very glad to see we're all back.
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2023 at 17:44
 ^ You thought you got banned---  with my obnoxious & belligerent behavior I'm stunned to still be here.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2023 at 22:32
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Had a quick email exchange with Max this morning regarding all 3 of his sites being down, the problem was with the 'hoster'.

That's good to know, but the admins are still essentially locked out of our duties hours later. There's an artist I'm trying to add to the database, for example, but I'm seeing the same error message.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2023 at 01:48
I really missed the forum yesterday! Unhappy
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2023 at 01:50
Sadly nobody took me up on my offer Wink https://awesomeprog.com/forum/topics/26
yarstruly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yarstruly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2023 at 06:25
Glad it's back up and running today!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2023 at 06:38
PA was down again yesterday, I couldn't get in for several hours then gave up.

Server Error in Forum Application
An error has occurred while connecting to the database.
Please contact the Forum Administrator.

Support Error Code:- err_SQLServer_db_connection
File Name:- database_connection.asp
Forum Version:- 11.01

Error details:-
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Server Error in Forum Application
An error initialising Global Variables from database.
Please contact the Forum Administrator.

Support Error Code:- err_SQLServer_getForumConfigurationData()_read_global_variables
File Name:- global_variables_inc.asp
Forum Version:- 11.01
ADODB.Recordset error '800a0e78'

Operation is not allowed when the object is closed.

/forum/includes/global_variables_inc.asp, line 355
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2023 at 07:00
Signs of a failing website that refuses to take care of biz

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2023 at 07:39
I would heartily recommend that all serious music reviewers ensure that they have a backup copy of the reviews and material they have painstakingly plonked on here over the years.

As an aside, I would happily have him going back to adverts on the site if it meant it continued as a resource for music lovers.  A website such as mine is a little bit different as regards ad-free because it is patently a labour of love, something I choose to do and protect. PA website I don’t think is viable without an income stream, and I wonder whether the voluntary payments stack up to much.

Just a thought.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2023 at 08:43
^ i've been saving my reviews since the beginning and backing them up on Rate Your Music.

The reason this site isn't economically profitable is because of the pisspoor maintenance and neglect of the site. Prog has never been more popular and if this site was attended to by a few paid staff members it could be hugely profitable. My guess is the webmaster is not a good business strategist in this department. Whatever the case i do hope the site exists at least at this minimal level because it is a great resource even if not perfect. It just seems the inevitable collapse is beckoning.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2023 at 09:35
^ Your profile doesn’t say how old you are, but I can assure you that progressive or art rock was infinitely more popular 50 years ago, and even when bands such as Marillion and Pendragon started.

There is more progressive music about now, but much of it is commercially unviable. For no better examples, see the interviews on my website.

I can’t think of one prog rock website which would make a decent amount of profit.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2023 at 10:01
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

^ Your profile doesn’t say how old you are, but I can assure you that progressive or art rock was infinitely more popular 50 years ago, and even when bands such as Marillion and Pendragon started.

Let's dissect that notion for a moment. Perhaps prog and art rock were perceived as more popular at its peak due to the fact that its popularity was concentrated into a few years from the late 60s to the late 70s but in terms of sheer numbers that attracts a GLOBAL audience that can transverse the annals of both geography and history through the miracles of the internet, i would propose that prog is more popular now in those terms. Gentle Giant for example hit the top 40 in the UK a couple years ago with its album OCTOPUS and prog bands that were utterly ignored during the heyday are seeing reissues selling healthy numbers of albums.

There is more progressive music about now, but much of it is commercially unviable. For no better examples, see the interviews on my website.

If you're thinking terms of superstars that dominate the entire scene then you are correct but as a collective, prog rock and art rock are bigger than ever especially when you find prog seeping into everything from post-punk to hip hop sampling. The nature of the entire decentralized music business has shifted the dynamics which allows the many to release their music and thus denying the ascent of manufactured superstars such as Yes, ELP or King Crimson. Obviously there are positives and negatives to these developments. So in effect if a million bands sell a thousand albums each, that's still more albums than the bigwigs sold during its heyday.

I can’t think of one prog rock website which would make a decent amount of profit.

That's because all these sites lack vision and creative fortitude. That however does not preclude the possibilities of making it so. To focus exclusively on a database without other endeavors limits the scope of the user's attention. This site for one could expand its techniques exponentially and profit handsomely if handled properly and with the right amount of zeal.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2023 at 11:45
PA has been down again - just managed to get in after about an hour of getting errors from Cloudflare.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2023 at 12:32
I notified Max when all 3 of his sites went down. He had everything back up in about an hour.
Snikle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snikle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2023 at 08:56
I'm able to load the main page and the forum pages, but clicking on any other links to read reviews or look at subgenres causes an unending loading screen. Is anyone else experiencing the same?
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2023 at 09:00
Originally posted by Snikle Snikle wrote:

I'm able to load the main page and the forum pages, but clicking on any other links to read reviews or look at subgenres causes an unending loading screen. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

Yeah, same here. But it's nothing new. PA goes to "unavailable mode" very often, even if the forum is running fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>