Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCoheed and Cambria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 14:58

post a sample track when you start recording ... it's still a mystery to me what your ideal kind of prog metal could sound like.

BTW: What do you think about Heaven's Cry? In my database there are links to two full songs and several samples.

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 15:02

I can understand one not considering Coheed & Cambria prog, the album of theirs I heard was borderline at best.

However, their new album is supposed to be pure prog.  If this is true, maybe it could be used to sway people into accepting them on the site.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 15:32
I thought that we recently introduced the prog related genre and added bands like Queen and Deep Purple ... there really shouldn't be any question about Coheed and Cambria. I don't even like them, but since they're on most other websites, there's no reason that they shouldn't be here as well.
Citanul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2005 at 03:02
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Jean and I have been to their website and listened to the examples there. Unlews someone comes up with something better, we say "no thanks". Not prog at all.

I'm not sure if the samples on their website were of the proggier songs, so I don't know how much of a judgement you can make from those.  They're certainly not prog if you compare them to a band like Genesis.  But they certainly are prog when compared with their contempories, in a similar way that Queensryche are prog when compared with their contempories.
Be or be not. There is no question. - Yoda, Prince of Denmark
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2005 at 17:18
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Also, I can't really decide if they take
themselves seriously or not.

I don't know, I think it's entirely possible to take not taking yourself seriously seriously... if that means anything

It is definitely possible to be extremely serious about not being serious at all.  Take the case of Zappa, or even Tenacious D.  However, there's not enough humor in Co&Ca's songs to say that this is their goal.  Sometimes it seems like they want to be a real rock band thatwrites real songs, and other times it seems like they want to be a silly pop band.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2005 at 17:27
Let's try to separate quality and prog/not prog. I would fight for C&C to be included ... and it's entirely possible that I'd give them 2 star ratings.
Cygnus X-1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2005 at 17:59
I showed a mate of mine this site and he asked if this band was listed on here. I've never heard any but they sound prog, aparently doing concept albums etc.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 16:14
well if we have deep purple and queen on here it sort of opens the floodgates and i suppose they should be put on the archives but the songs i heard on their site were not bad songs except THOUSANDS OF BANDS BEFORE THEM HAD DONE THE EXACT SAME THING. Explain to me how doings something many have done before is progressive?!
Citanul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 03:07
Originally posted by Franklinstower3 Franklinstower3 wrote:

well if we have deep purple and queen on here it sort of opens the floodgates and i suppose they should be put on the archives but the songs i heard on their site were not bad songs except THOUSANDS OF BANDS BEFORE THEM HAD DONE THE EXACT SAME THING. Explain to me how doings something many have done before is progressive?!

Thousands of bands have written a science fiction concept that spans 4 (maybe 5?) albums?  I've said it before - they're not prog if you compare them with the prog giants of the 70s, but they certainly are prog if you compare them with their comtempories.
Be or be not. There is no question. - Yoda, Prince of Denmark
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 03:55

Originally posted by Franklinstower3 Franklinstower3 wrote:

That doesn't have anything to do with being prog. Progressive vs. Prog. Of course it's best if a band is totally innovative. But IMO that should affect the ratings and reviews only ... not the question if the music is prog or not.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 16:20
yeah but beyond that they dont really have a "prog sound" they sound like alot of other mainstream rock bands granted i only listened to the 2 songs on their site but those 2 were not prog or even proggish in the least the only proggy thing was the fantasy style video deal with the mermaids and such and lots of non-prog bands have done fantasy before i suppose i would have to really listen to a whole album or 2 before making a final judgment

Edited by Franklinstower3
CKY Guy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 13:06
I don't think that this band was given enough of a chance. I'm not even a fan of Co&Ca, but I've listened to their latest album in it's entirety. While I wouldn't necessarily consider them straight up "Prog Rock", especially when compared to The Mars Volta, as every reviewer in every publication I've read feels the need to do, but they are definately "Rock Prog", if you will, Rock with much Prog influence. By judging the band solely based on their singles, you're effectively discarding them as another emo/pop-rock act, which is entirely foolish. Listen to the newest album, Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV: Volume 1 - From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness. In fact, if you don't want to listen to the entire album, I suggest at least giving the first 3 and definately final 2 tracks of the album a chance, as I think it will sway your opinion. All of the tracks Coheed has made videos for, released to radio, and made available as samples on their site are the poppiest, non-prog of their songs. If you listen to the two singles from their last album you'll swear there is no way this band can be prog, but actually spin the disc and I'm sure you'll change your tune. At least give them a proper listen before discarding them as something other than prog, I feel it makes the archive look very incomplete to not even try and give them a chance.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 15:31
They're rather better at pop music than prog, whichever way you look at it
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 13:53

The material on their website displays their more mainstream side. Coheed's material includes a large array of styles, which is best displayed on, but not limited to, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3. Furthermore, no two Coheed songs sound the same. Their progressive material is surely worthy of being included on this website. Songs such as "The Crowing," "2113," and the entire "Willing Well" series. Even the poppy material far exceeds its contemporaries. Coheed takes basic, accessible material, and expands on it. I don't think any pop-punk/rock band out there could write that type of material on par with them. Even their simplest material contains much depth and emotion, not to mention that it is all revolving around a concept, which spans over multiple albums. Much like in movies, the styles used in the songs correllate to what's happening in the story at the time. Movies don't use the same music throughout its entirity, likewise, this story doesn't. For example, the catchy, uptempo songs "33" and "A Favor House Atlantic" both take place in what's supposed to be a chase scene. The music fits the part.

Also, I have seen them numerous times live. They are great musicians, and they can pull of an extended improve jam quite well.

I would reconsider them for addition to the site. I would elaborate further, but I am on a tight schedule.

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 04:54
I currently have their latest album in my car, but I've only heard the first 3 or 4 tracks so far, so I cannot comment, but I will give the album two or three listens.  The first track was interesting and reasonably progressive I would say.

My friend likes them and is now into Rush as well, so they certainly are not a bad thing for prog rock, they are helping the genre.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 09:37
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

I currently have their latest album in my car, but I've only heard the first 3 or 4 tracks so far, so I cannot comment, but I will give the album two or three listens.  The first track was interesting and reasonably progressive I would say.

My friend likes them and is now into Rush as well, so they certainly are not a bad thing for prog rock, they are helping the genre.

I mentioned in another forum that I think C&C belong in the Prog realm.  I think they are pushing limits by today's Modern Rock standards towards Prog Rock.  I certainly hear enough elements that show they are very creative in this genre.  If Radiohead can be considered Prog and C&C not, I fail to see the reasoning.  Both bands produce Modern Rock that is outside the boundaries of this genre.

Do these bands create a new genre of Progressive Modern Rock? 

TheOracleIV View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 15:32

After months of internal debate about this band, I finally figured out why simultaneously I love and hate them.  They are a progressive rock band.  They write solid, entertaining songs.  However, I think they incorporate all of the lame, embarrassing, excessive parts of prog (i.e. extremely high vocals, disgustingly long song/album titles, and a general flair for the bombastic), and few of the real progressive elements.  Also, I can't really decide if they take themselves seriously or not.  By reading the comics and listening to the albums alone, you might think they are actually serious about their music, but watching their music videos and live shows, you might think otherwise.

About "taking themselves seriously" Claudio actually said Coheed and Cambria started off as kind of a joke after their first band "Shabutie" fell through. Which is probably why their first album Second Stage Turbine Blade doesn't sound very "proggy", but after that became so popular it seems they've changed their style to make it a lot more progressive with In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3.

I think they should be added to the archives, I've listened to bands on here that were a lot less progressive then they were.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 01:18

Originally posted by TheOracleIV TheOracleIV wrote:

After months of internal debate about this band, I finally figured out why simultaneously I love and hate them.  They are a progressive rock band.  They write solid, entertaining songs.  However, I think they incorporate all of the lame, embarrassing, excessive parts of prog (i.e. extremely high vocals, disgustingly long song/album titles, and a general flair for the bombastic), and few of the real progressive elements.  Also, I can't really decide if they take themselves seriously or not.  By reading the comics and listening to the albums alone, you might think they are actually serious about their music, but watching their music videos and live shows, you might think otherwise.

About "taking themselves seriously" Claudio actually said Coheed and Cambria started off as kind of a joke after their first band "Shabutie" fell through. Which is probably why their first album Second Stage Turbine Blade doesn't sound very "proggy", but after that became so popular it seems they've changed their style to make it a lot more progressive with In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3.

I think they should be added to the archives, I've listened to bands on here that were a lot less progressive then they were.

The Second Stage Turbine Blade may not sound as "proggy," but I think it's just as good as the other work.

www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 13:46

Agree- would NOT like to see them on this site. They sound like 100 others poppy high school bands

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 14:05
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

Agree- would NOT like to see them on this site. They sound like 100 others poppy high school bands

They do not. You must have falsely assumed that by only listening to their singles and such.

www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>