Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The most successful modern prog music nation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Mean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 03:49
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Golden Mean Golden Mean wrote:

Originally posted by Chiyo Chiyo wrote:

To this day, it remains.

So not UK/Great Britain, just England?! ConfusedLOL
Well, it is similar to football. England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are the distinct Home Nations teams that represent the United Kingdom in international football.

Why are you answering for someone else?! ConfusedLOL
I thought your question was directed at me.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 03:52

Originally posted by Chiyo Chiyo wrote:

To this day, it remains.

So not UK/Great Britain, just England?! ConfusedLOL
Well, it is similar to football. England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are the distinct Home Nations teams that represent the United Kingdom in international football.

Why are you answering for someone else?! ConfusedLOL
I thought your question was directed at me.

My bad, I quoted chiyo, I was hoping for an answer from him, if he's still around. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 22:44
Land of my birth - England. I can be 'British' but then it's like calling someone from Norway 'Scandinavian'. Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England is the UK. Take away Northern Ireland and you have 'Great Britain' so technically no one from Northern Ireland can be British but they are more or less governed by the British government , although the devolved government there is a coalition of Sinn fein and the Democratic Unionist Party (the former pushing for a united Ireland, the latter for retaining ties with the UK). What does this mean for prog, absolutely no idea Big smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 22:50
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Land of my birth - England. I can be 'British' but then it's like calling someone from Norway 'Scandinavian'. Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England is the UK. Take away Northern Ireland and you have 'Great Britain' so technically no one from Northern Ireland can be British but they are more or less governed by the British government , although the devolved government there is a coalition of Sinn fein and the Democratic Unionist Party (the former pushing for a united Ireland, the latter for retaining ties with the UK). What does this mean for prog, absolutely no idea Big smile

Thanks, I lived and worked there for a few years (Exeter, Devon UK) and never had it explained to me as nicely as you just did! 

I would say "United Kingdom," since many of my own prog heroes hail from there!  Percy Jones (Welsh), Annie Lennox (Scottish) and so forth.  And, also THIS gent! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 23:30
^ yeah that never ceases to be funny LOL
Golden Mean View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Mean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 23:51

A large portion of British progressive music acts were or are concentrated in England. @Chiyo was only exact.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 23:59
^ I suppose of the major acts that's largely true. I can only think of Marillion that are a fly in the ointment so to speak. I believe Welsh heavy prog band Lone Star should have been bigger but that's beside the point. Both bands also had English guys in the line ups!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2024 at 08:53

To makes matters more confusing, Great Britain and Ireland are part of the what is called the British Isles. So, maybe Northern Irish can refer to themselves as British if they choose to? 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2024 at 10:30
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

To makes matters more confusing, Great Britain and Ireland are part of the what is called the British Isles. So, maybe Northern Irish can refer to themselves as British if they choose to? 
I've sidestepped that potential pitfall by including ALL Irish artists in my latest Prog Folk Britannia blog, regardless of whether they're from Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland. After all, I couldn't possibly ignore Enya and Clannad's large contribution to Prog Folk from the British Isles. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789