Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunrise or Sunset ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which three tracks do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.17%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [37.50%]
1 [4.17%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.17%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.17%]
1 [4.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunrise or Sunset ?
    Posted: January 25 2024 at 08:53

Sunrise or Sunset ? That's the question... 
...or not. On offer a rather eclectic selection of music about those more or less wonderful rising or setting moments that we can experience with the sun. Some are rather well known, most are rather unknown, I guess. Let that not withhold you from listening to the playlist and to enjoy them, before voting for up to three of your preferred tracks from these. Enjoy!

In order of appearance:

Fireclan - Electric Sunrise (Psychedelic/Space Rock)
April Rain - Waiting for Sunrise (Post Rock/Math rock)
Chris Evans & David Hanselmann - Sunrise (Poprog)
Laughing Stock - Sunrise (Neo-Prog)
Dogma - Twin Sunrise (Symphonic Prog)
Marillion - Afraid of Sunrise (Neo-Prog)
Ángel Ontalva - Roads to Sunrise Cities (Jazz Rock/Fusion)
Uriah Heep - Sunrise (Heavy Prog)
Alquin - New Guinea Sunrise (Eclectic Prog)
Solstice - Sunrise (Neo-Prog)
Beardfish - Sunrise (Eclectic Prog)
Xanadu - The Last Sunrise (Heavy Prog)
Satellite - A Street Between Sunrise and Sunset (Neo-Prog)
Beardfish - As the Sun Sets (Eclectic Prog)
Cheer-Accident - Here Comes the Sunset (RIO/Avant-Prog)
John Miner - Mantra Sunset (Eclectic Prog)
The USA Is a Monster - Sunset At the End of the Industrial Age (Psychedelic/Space Rock)
The Nomads - Sunset on the Range (Post Rock/Math rock)
Eloy - Sunset (Psychedelic/Space Rock)
Fireclan - Acoustic Sunset (Psychedelic/Space Rock)

Edited by suitkees - January 25 2024 at 09:44

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 09:04
Uriah Heep
Satellite

Edited by Cristi - January 25 2024 at 10:57
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 09:07
Satellite... lovely album
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 09:17
Eloy
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 09:22
I expected Sunsets on Empire by Fish to be here. I'll take a listen to the playlist.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 09:27
^ Oh gosh... I had it, but apparently I forgot to add it to the playlist. A great track, but I'm actually quite pleased myself how this playlist turned out to be: a lot to enjoy for those who like the more "mainstream" prog (sorry for that notion).

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 09:34
I'll listen to the others later, but I listened to Fireclan's "Electric Sunrise" and that is stunning! I'll cast my first vote for it because I can't imagine that it would not be in my top three.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 09:44
Uriah Heep - Sunrise Smile
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 10:46
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Eloy

Actually, this was the track that inspired me to do this poll, together with Evans & Hanselmann's Sunrise... This Eloy track is so extremely beautiful and perfect...

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'll listen to the others later, but I listened to Fireclan's "Electric Sunrise" and that is stunning! I'll cast my first vote for it because I can't imagine that it would not be in my top three.

I guess you will go for their Acoustic Sunset too, then. Didn't know them at all before putting up this poll, but their album seems to be an excellent one that clearly went under the radar of many!

For the Uriah Heep voters: I understand you haven't listened to the other tracks, which is a pity, mostly for you. Although I am fan of UH and I really enjoy this track, it is one of the weakest of the whole selection in this poll. Shame for you that you didn't want to explore the other music before voting...

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 11:21
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 13:08
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I guess you will go for their Acoustic Sunset too, then. Didn't know them at all before putting up this poll, but their album seems to be an excellent one that clearly went under the radar of many!

Tootin' rootin' and that is now my favourite choice. I voted for it in the olker one too just now.

By the way, this has been a favourite Sunset of mine. Naked City's (John Zorn) "Sunset Surfer".

Now as for my third vote in this, I very happily go with Cheer-Accident - Here Comes the Sunset. I find that superb. I knew Cheer-Accident, have one album, but not this song that I recall.

Interesting you mentioning Angel Ontava, I was just listening to some of her music last night.

Edited by Logan - January 25 2024 at 13:09
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 19:18
Uriah Heep stands on top of all these.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 19:57
Quote Sunrise or Sunset ? That's the question...
Both
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 01:03
Alquin.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 05:04
^ You surprise me! Tongue

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

For an older poll just on sunsets, see this poll:  A Prog Poll with a Sunset Theme - Progressive Rock Music Forum - Page 1 (progarchives.com)

Ah, completely forgot about that one, and I even participated in that poll. Only two tracks in common, so that's good. Now, did Özgür also did a poll about sunrises? He could... He should! Özgür? Wink

One of the reasons for me to put up this kind of polls is to stumble upon - to me - unknown music in an arbitrary but fun way. I discovered some great - and sometimes obscure - music by doing these silly polls.

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 05:36
UH and Marillion
Beardfish
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 06:42
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ You surprise me! Tongue

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

For an older poll just on sunsets, see this poll:  A Prog Poll with a Sunset Theme - Progressive Rock Music Forum - Page 1 (progarchives.com)

Ah, completely forgot about that one, and I even participated in that poll. Only two tracks in common, so that's good. Now, did Özgür also did a poll about sunrises? He could... He should! Özgür? Wink

One of the reasons for me to put up this kind of polls is to stumble upon - to me - unknown music in an arbitrary but fun way. I discovered some great - and sometimes obscure - music by doing these silly polls.

That is why I create these kind of polls too!  I try to choose songs within my collection that are fairly obscure to me, but these polls kind of help shine a light on them outside of their original settings.  

I'm trying to listen to as much 2023 music as I can now before the 1/31 deadline for submitting my best of 2023 list, but will give this list a listen shortly.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 23:54
"Afraid of Sunrise"
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 00:12
Eric Carmen - Sunrise (full-length version)

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 03:40

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>